Alternative to Photobucket?

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Alternative to Photobucket?

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 pm

I've had a $20 paid account on Photobucket for many years and have used it to share screenshots and pictures here and on other websites I visit. Now they are charging $395 for anyone who wants to link pictures to other websites. I can understand that hosting millions of these links is expensive, but the new rate is 20 times the $20 I was paying. I did bite the bullet and make the payment, but the site is so messed up right now that they haven't even registered my upgrade and, in fact, have switched me over to a free account with 6 or 7 ad popups every thirty seconds. I feel ready to pull the plug on the whole thing and go elsewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding sites that allow third-party links?
It's not hoarding if it's books, games, rubber stamps or chocolate.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Alternative to Photobucket?

Postby Stella » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:53 pm

My daughter uses Shutterfly for her web page. You could check out their site and see if it's what you need.
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Imgur seems to work for me and it's free as well. Testing:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:33 am

Imgur gives less sense of ownership than Photobucket (or at least than Photobucket used to), but for sharing pictures on forums it's pretty much ideal.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm

I'll look into Imgur. I know several people who use Shutterfly, but they only share their pics via email.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Glad I saw this post as photobucket stopped me from linking my picture
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Leo

Postby StarLite » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 am

I use Mediafire, I've never used it for pics so just tried it out. You can add a link which will take you to the pic. I think you can use it for videos too, not sure. I mostly use it for storing files to download. You can give it a try if you like, it's very easy to use you just drag and drop. The only thing you have to do is log in at least once every 30 days. Hope this helps, here's the link

https://www.mediafire.com
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Photobucket finally sorted out my account last week, so I'll stick with them for now. People who mostly link to other websites are angry at the jump in price but even more annoyed at the lack of communication about the changes. I think they may find a lot of people leaving them over this.
Stiler
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby Stiler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:24 am

I used to use photobucket years ago. Once they started to charge though I jumped ship.

Imgur does everything well that I need it for (posting pics on forums and sites, etc). You can make your albums and everything as well.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:04 pm

I think on your recommendation and that of Phlebas, I'm going to loo into Imgur. Thanks, Stiler!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Winfrey » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:28 pm

I wanted a place that I could put my icon on and be able to have it link here and at other forums like I did with photobucket. I joined Imgur and placed a picture on it then went to my profile and tried to load it.. it did not work.. wanted a URL which I could not find with Imur?????? Am I doing something wrong or does Imgur not do this??
------------
Henry David Thoreau]
Stiler
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby Stiler » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:45 am

Winfrey wrote:I wanted a place that I could put my icon on and be able to have it link here and at other forums like I did with photobucket. I joined Imgur and placed a picture on it then went to my profile and tried to load it.. it did not work.. wanted a URL which I could not find with Imur?????? Am I doing something wrong or does Imgur not do this??

On the Imgur site when you are logged in click on your name (top right of the webpage) and then click "images." This should show all the images you've uploaded. To find a url for the image you want simply click on the image you want to link and it should open the image along with various links to the right side of it that you can use to link to that image.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Winfrey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:33 am

Thank you... I went back and did what you said and see the url link... Thank you what I was trying to do was.. I went into albums and clicked on share, that does not provide a url link.. thanks again!!!
------------
Henry David Thoreau]

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”