Did Everyone have a good Thanksgiving?

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Did Everyone have a good Thanksgiving?

Postby JKEerie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:05 pm

I trust everyone is still stuffed from their turkey feasts. I had a bit of a problematic Thanksgiving when my 8 year old electric range/oven decided to overheat the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving. I got an F10 error and when I opened the oven door, the smoke detectors started to go off. My roast was charcoal. The only way to clear it was to cut the power at the breaker box. When I restarted, the error recurred. My oven was clearly overheating. So...the next morning I started to call around for service after doing an internet search on the error. It was either the temperature sensor or the electronic control board. The parts would need to be ordered, and the soonest anyone could arrive with parts would be Wednesday. Plus the cost would be anywhere from $200 to $450 depending on whether the sensor or board needed to be replaced.

I decided to call the local appliance store a few minutes from my house. I did an internet search and found a range that had all the bells and whistles that my previous range had. That range had come with the house and I got spoiled by the lower oven drawer giving me an extra oven, plus the convection bake feature. I found one, a Samsung, with a dual oven, plus a warming drawer, plus convection and a steam clean feature in addition to self cleaning, that uses a much lower temperature. My local store had them in stock AND they were on sale at 40% off. So...I got a new range! It was delivered the next day so I had two days to play with it prior to turkey day, where I was cooking for 8 people.

It worked like a dream. The convection roast feature cooked the 22 pound bird to perfection in 3 hours at 325 degrees!!!! That even surprised me! The only compromise I had to make was that my kitchen appliances are white and since white is becoming passe in favor of stainless steel or black, I got a stainless steel one with a black cooktop. It actually looks nice...not so much out of place.

So...the timing was both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that the oven problems occurred prior to Thanksgiving so I didn't end up with a charcoaled turkey. The curse that it occurred RIGHT before Thanksgiving so I didn't have much time to weigh options, shop around, etc. Still in all....guess what I was grateful for!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Did Everyone have a good Thanksgiving?

Postby Val » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Oh what a tale of woe, JK!! Was very happy to read the second paragraph and find out that it all ended happily. Brilliant news and, as you said, better it all happened when it did than the morning of the turkey dinner. :)
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:34 am

That oven sounds wonderful JK! I have wanted a convection oven for a long time but refuse to buy a new oven/stove until this one passes on so I might have to wait a while longer. Hubby was supposed to be in Florida for Thanksgiving so I didn't plan on cooking but then things changed so he didn't leave until Saturday so we just had chicken/stuffing casserole and green bean casserole which were easy to fix. I managed to overeat on those too though, so I am still full.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:48 am

At least you got a working oven before Thanksgiving! This one sounds like a dream. I got a new oven about 3 years ago and besides the inside being HUGE, it has convection and the steam cleaning too. I dearly love it - cannot imagine going back to a straight oven. I use gas as I much prefer cooking with it on the stovetop.

My friend Kim texted me Friday morning asking how our Thanksgiving was. Hers was fine except for the turkey catching on fire in the oven and them having to finish the casseroles on the gas grill outside! The oven worked fine once they got everything cleaned up and proceeded to finish roasting the turkey. She was using a cooking bag and forgot to poke steam holes in it, so I'm not sure if that was the problem or not. She has a family that treats her like crap and that didn't change, so for her it was an exercise in not murdering anyone!

Our Thanksgiving was wonderful - just me and Dave, 15 pounds of turkey and dressing, simple sides and a bottle of wine. I did make a pumpkin pie and an apple pie with apples I peeled and froze from trees at my brother's farm in Iowa. All it all, it was fantastic! Until the dishwasher decided to stop draining water!! I tried taking it apart to see if something was blocking the drain, but there is too much in there I can't reach very well. So, now waiting on my small appliance repair guy to call back! That man is worth his weight in gold!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:27 am

Feel for your friend, Kim, Drac! Her disaster with the turkey did not exactly put her in the family's good books! Hell I would have ordered takeouts and to hell with them. But it could not have done her confidence any good especially with the critical family there. Really feel for her. But pleased you two had a good hearty Thanksgiving. We dont celebrate it here of course and for the first time in years totally forgot to wish all my step-relatives and you guys, too! Sorry!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:48 am

I'm glad everything worked out for you, JK, but things like that do increase your stress levels.

My sister, cousin, and I had our Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant on the Forked River a few miles south of me. They do a huge buffet with turkey and prime rib sliced to order, all the traditional dishes, salads, appetizers, and desserts to die for. We were there for the 6:00 seating, and the place was mobbed! Then yesterday was my sister's birthday, so my cousin invited us and my sister-in-law for a special chicken dinner and a strawberry shortcake birthday cake. Needless to say I'm planning on eating lightly for the next week.
Into each life some rain must fall, but this is getting ridiculous!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:00 pm

JKEerie, sound like you've bought a beautiful stove! Did you know that Samsung is the top rated range at the moment?

I noticed that both JKEerie and Draclvr have stoves that feature steam cleaning. The 2 year old stove I just replaced (I know, sheer extravagance) had steam cleaning which I hated. I found it didn't clean at all and I had to manually scrub to get stains and grease off. I'd be interested to know how you all find this steam cleaning feature?

Also, getting used to convection. I tried making shortbread with 3 cookie sheets on 3 different shelves but found it baked unevenly. Any tips?
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 pm

I love the steam cleaning... I will grant you that it's not perfect, but certainly does a pretty good job with much less energy use and no chemicals.

I had to experiment with convection too... one tip is not to over-crowd the oven as the air doesn't move as freely when it's crowded. Try it with two sheets on two different shelves with a good amount of space between them.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:27 pm

I did not know that Diat60. That's very nice to know that in a pinch I got a solid unit at a very good price!

As to the steam cleaning, I'll have to let you know. I'm wondering if the use of the self-cleaning feature isn't what messes up the control board in the range. The oven hits very high temps when you self-clean and it vents right under where the control panel is. The sales lady at the appliance store mentioned that. The steam clean needs to be done right after a spill. The oven reaches 400 degrees only so that is I think a lot better for the oven.

As to convection...do you still have the manual that came with your range? The manual specifies the best shelves to use when you use the convection feature. It's like Drac said, you want the air to move freely.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”