My Xmas Present!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

My Xmas Present!

Postby Diat60 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 am

Bri gave me Windows 10 Professional which will be an upgrade from the present Win 10 Home. I've been wanting this for ages as it has an emulator that Home doesn't have and I'm hoping I'll be able to play some older games. I'm a bit concerned that there may be an issue with 64 bit, but we'll see.

Here's something I didn't know until last week. I borrowed a DVD of an old movie from my granddaughter and couldn't understand why it wouldn't play on Windows Media Player. The computer could "see" the DVD but that was it. Google informed me that this function of Media Player is no longer included as part of Windows 10 but they will kindly allow me to buy a download for $19.95 to correct this! Just a little shocked to say this least. And, of course, we no longer have a DVD player as the smart TV lets us play media from the computer. Ah well, progress.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: My Xmas Present!

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:17 am

Media Player has not been part of Windows since Windows 8, so for at least 5 or 6 years. So many people no longer use desktops for this... they've gone to mobile and the cloud.

However, you can download and use the free VLC media player which works perfectly. I've been using it for years.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Do not expect Windows 10 Pro to work any better than Home for games. I've had Pro since Windows 10 was first released. The Hyper V in Windows 10 Pro will allow you to INSTALL an older version of Windows back to XP. It does not have the old OS included. And this is meant to provide support for older office software, not gaming. For instance, it does not support 3D gaming. From the Windows forums... "Windows 10 Pro edition includes Hyper-V which you can use to run some older versions of Windows such as Windows 7 and Windows XP. I am afraid you won't get Windows 95 to run on it. If you need to run such an older version of Windows, I suggest you use VMWare Player or Oracle VirtualBox." Which means you will need to have a copy of the XP operating system to install.

Windows 10 (and now back to Windows 7 through an update) will no longer allow you to install any games which have certain forms of DRM. However, I have had no problems with older games which do not have DRM. Now, if you're going back to games from the 90's, you will have issues, that is an issue going back to Windows 7. Most people use virtual environments to run those old games. To be honest, I've invested $3 and $4 in some games at GOG because they already have been tweaked to run on new systems.

My other solution is to keep my trusty old XP computer to my right to play some older games. I even built a low end computer to house that old hard drive!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:53 am

Can you come to my house? Actually I do have my original XP and hope I'll be able to activate it. Microsoft is also funny about how many times one can do this. I think I also have my old 98 somewhere. All one can do is try! I didn't actually agitate to get this, it was just a bit of a wish, but we've both reached the age where neither one can think of anything to give the other that we haven't already got, so voila. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I hadn't realized that Media Player had been missing for so long, just shows I don't use my computer to watch movies. Nonograms are SO much more engrossing!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 am

Ha, ha!! I wish I could come to your house as I do this for people all the time. My charge for working on your computer is a bottle of wine!

Although I've never done this, this link is a decent help for using Hyper-V In Windows 10 Pro.

https://www.head4space.com/installing-h ... ws-10-pro/

Hubby and I quit giving each other gifts long ago... we already have too must stuff anyway! We just enjoy a nice Christmas meal together and call it good!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks, I'll check that out. You and Hubby sound like sensible people, we may emulate you next year! (What OS are you using?)
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:15 pm

I have been using Windows 10 Pro since it was released.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:38 pm

I meant what OS are you and hubby using so that we can "emulate" you!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 pm

Ha, ha! That went right over my head!!! We are using the OMP operating system... Old Married People!
StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Leo

Postby StarLite » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:44 am

Sounds like a good present, hope you enjoy it. Happy New Year :)
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”