Long Day

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Long Day

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Just got home at 10:20! Whew, that was a long day.My husband was admitted to the hospital today. Dave is doing great and they are still trying to sort everything out. His only symptom was extreme shortness of breath. He had to go in town at noon and decided to drive himself over to Urgent Care. After xrays and test there showed clear lungs and only an elevated WBC count, they sent him over to the ER. I picked up his son so he could drive Dave's truck home. He has elevated heart enzymes indicating a possible cardiac event. They also found an elevated marker for potential blood clots in the lungs. He feels fine, but after over 8 hours in an ER bed, his ass and back are killing him. He was hungry when they finally got him to a room about 9:30, but he was going to have to wait on a doctor for that authorization. Good thing I made him biscuits and gravy this morning! He will be having a heart echo tomorrow and a cardiac cath Monday to see if there are any blockages. I will keep you posted!! Jeannine is heading for a very cold frosty Blue Moon beer right now!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Long Day

Postby Val » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Ah so sorry to hear this Drac! You must have been drained. Glad he is in the hands of those who know best and I am sure he will be back home again before long. Lucky it was picked up early. Mt best wishes for a speedy recovery, Dave!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:29 am

That was scary for you both, good to hear he's a bit better now. All these symptoms are worrying when you start getting on in years, we tend to think the worst and it's a relief to know it's not too bad. Hope he's home soon and that the beer was well-received!
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Stella » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:44 am

Hope rest, and some new meds will see him on the mend!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 am

Oh Drac, how terrible. I will keep sending positive thoughts your way. For hubby to drive himself to ER, he had to be worried. Hopefully they will get this sorted out soon.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:09 am

Prayers for you and Dave, Drac. Glad that Dave realized something was wrong and got himself to medical attention. My brother had an event a couple years ago. He just didn't feel right, so he drove himself to the ER at 2 in the morning. It turns out he had major blockage and needed bypass surgery. He's doing really well now. So...hopefully, Dave's issues aren't as severe, but in any case, I'm sure he'll be well taken care of.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Well, it's been confirmed that he has blood clots in his lungs. The elevated heart enzymes still indicate a cardiac event, so they are going to to both a heart echogram and the cardiac cath. He is also waiting on a CT scan of his lungs and an uiltrasound of his legs to determine if there are more blood clots.

Mostly he it drives him nuts to just lay in a bed! I took him the Sunday paper this morning, but couldn't stay as it has already started to snow and ice up. I expect the roads to be dreadful!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:21 pm

This is sounding quite serious now. Keep us posted as I'm sure we're all thinking of you and Dave. My other half had a heart bypass 12 years ago and is starting to show signs of more narrowing of the aortic valve. He was trying to knock down a snow overhang a couple of days ago and had quite a funny turn, so first thing tomorrow we're calling the Heart Centre to make an appointment.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:33 pm

They are doing a good job of trying to find the cause of it all. Keep thinking of you both and especially you, Drac, having to travel back and forth on those icy roads. Take care!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:01 am

So, we are HOME! He threw pieces of blood clots in his legs to both lobes of the lungs and still has quite a large one in his left leg, hence the filter between it and his heart and lungs. They went up through the femoral vein and put it in yesterday afternoon. They will probably be able to remove it in about 5 weeks. I looked at his labs last night and his heart enzymes were sky high, so that's why they thought heart attack. But he had the best ER nurse ever who caught a lab for blood clots that was also very high. They continued to test his heart enzymes over the weekend and when they started to go down each time, they decided the PE - pulmonary embolism - was the culprit. They will probably do a stress test at some point in time to be doubly sure. He's awfully glad to have his "big ass in his own big chair" as he puts it!! Thank you, everyone for your good wishes!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 am

Ah so very glad to hear that Drac! Nothing like home and being able to sink into your own big chair!! Spoil him rotten, dear Drac, like he did to you last year but not so much that he forgets to do something for himself every now and again and keep on moving, albeit slowly. ♥
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 pm

That's been quite an "episode", Drac! Where did they put the filter? I've not heard of this before. Modern medicine is wonderful, imagine if this had happened even 50 years ago. Hopefully it's all behind you both now! Give him Mystery Manor's best.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:33 pm

It's placed in the vena cava. We have two femoral arteries and veins - one feeding and draining each leg. They join in the center of the abdominal cavity to form the vena cava. When they place it there, it will stop any pieces of blood clots from traveling to the heart or lungs. It is indeed amazing!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Glad to hear that Dave is on the mend, Drac. While your hubby's ass is in his big comfy chair, make sure you park your own and put those feet up and relax a bit. This had to be very stressful on you as well.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Sorry I’m late to say I’m glad to hear that your husband is getting treated, and is recovering! Hope your hospitals aren’t as swamped as the hospitals in the UK are.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”