Instant pots

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Instant pots

Postby mbday630 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm

everyone I know has those instant pots and loves them. I had some chicken wings last night from the pot and they were so good. My SIL is making yogurt today and had some in AZ from an instant pot and said that she would never buy yogurt again from a store. they are kind of pricey. does anyone have one and do you recommend them?
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Instant pots

Postby Diat60 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:16 pm

What on earth is an "instant pot"? Sounds like something I'll just have to have!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:43 pm

here is one https://www.amazon.com/COSORI-Premium-P ... +pot&psc=1

seriously, the wings that I had from it last night were so good. the girl said that she could put in some frozen chicken and in 20 minutes it was shreddable and could have shredded chicken. she made some beef gyros the other night that she said were so good too. I am lazy and this sounds like something that I would like, but, I am not sure if I am smart enough to operate one.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:48 am

An Instant Pot is essentially a little pressure cooker, but with all kinds of extra functions. I have at least 6 very large pressure cookers that I use for canning tomatoes and other things. But I also have a smaller one that is perfect for meals. When I am making a big 3 gallon pot of chicken soup for the Legion, I will buy chicken parts on sale or like I got last week, whole chickens for $1.19 a pound. I just put the in on of the big pots with carrots, onions and celery and 4 quarts of water. I pressure cooked them for about 40 minutes. After it cooled, I drain all that yummy home made chicken broth into another big pot, threw away the mushy vegetables and cleaned and cut up the chicken Voila! And that chicken broth is NOTHING like the stuff that costs a fortune and tastes awful from the grocery store.

Roast beef sandwiches in about 20 or 30 minutes? Cut a 2 - 3- pound chuck roast into about 4 pieces; add 1/3 cup soy sauce, a package of dry onion soup mix and whatever amount of water the Instant Pot recommends. Shred the tender beef when it's done and serve it on toasted buns.

If I didn't have all my big pressure cookers, I'd have one of these in a New York minute!

Instant Pot Recipes at Allrecipes
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:03 am

Have used a pressure cooker since I got married to a guy who had been brought up with them. I was scared to even try but a pressure cooker has been in my family ever since with son and daughter (not scared of course) using it. Absolutely essential and I agree with Drac - the stock from that chicken is priceless.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:38 am

I have a pressure cooker in my basement that I got for a wedding present like 45 years ago and have never used. They scare me! I have canned green beans using my canning pressure canner but I hate using that as I am so afraid that if I don't watch it every second and the gauge goes into the red, that it will explode and burn me to death. so, that is what I am thinking with this instant pot - I guess it is automatic and if it gets too hot, it will turn down the heat and you don't have to worry about it. I am a worry wart for sure. My friend said that I can borrow her small one just to see if I like it for a little bit and I am thinking of doing that. The thought of making home made yogurt is a plus. But, just for me and hubby, I don't know if buying one would be prudent. Just thinking....
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:10 am

I'm with you on the pressure cookers with gauges... I watch them very carefully. I only have one and the rest all have the "jigglers" for regulating the pressure. Of course, I never leave one unattended. When I working out in the garage with tomatoes, I just get a book and read out there while they are going.

These Instant Pots are electric and totally automated and will shut off like you said if there is a problem.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Interesting discussion. I had a pressure cooker many many years ago, the kind with a jiggler control. I used it for cabbage rolls but not much else as I found the taste was not the same as "properly" cooking on top of the stove. A great time saver for people who work,etc. though. Over all, I'm trying to cut down on the number of appliances I have now and the only non-essential one I have is my deepfat fryer which I wouldn't be without, even though fried foods are not the top of the healthy list!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:50 pm

There are some things that just need "proper" cooking on top of the stove, Diat!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 pm

I don't know if I could give up my "old fashioned" way of cooking. for one thing, I am always tasting things while they are cooking - seeing what I need to add. With these new-fangled things, you can't taste and just have to hope that it comes out okay. I guess it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. but, this yogurt making thing on the instant pot sounds pretty fun. I am still up in the air about buying one.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Years ago I had a 6-cup yogurt maker. I would add the yogurt culture to milk, put it in the cups, put on the lids, and plug it in overnight. The next morning, there would be plain yogurt, ready for chilling and the addition of fruit. However, it was easier to buy yogurt at the store, so I ended up giving the maker away. My bread maker went the same way.
Cure procrastination. Just don’t do it.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:57 am

I'm with LadyK. My daughter has recently inherited all my 'makers' and i just buy from the store.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:32 am

I'd rather play games, read or work on crafts than spend extra time in the kitchen. :D
Cure procrastination. Just don’t do it.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't mind spending time in the kitchen as long as it's spent on making things I like: date squares, anyone?
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm

nope nope nope. instant pots are not for me. hubby is making baked potatoes in it tonight and we were arguing about how to do it and how long and I finally decided just doing the potatoes in the microwave is good enough for me. No more drama!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”