Tomatoes!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Tomatoes!

Postby draclvr » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:45 am

So, some of the guys didn't believe Dave when he said he could get lost in the tomato forest. Hah!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Tomatoes!

Postby JKEerie » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:06 am

Wow, Drac! Those tomato plants are huge and so full! They must love growing in your garden!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:16 am

Now I understand the bumper crop each year! Your soil and climate must just be perfect for them. ♥
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 am

Yes, Val, they do like hot and humid which is our climate to a "T." The soil is pretty crappy clay type, but I keep it well composted and that helps. Heading out right now to "get lost!" I have to change clothes into a white T shirt and old jeans because when I come out, I am green! I can throw the clothes into a good bleach wash to get the green out.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:11 am

Wow! You and Dave are the tomato champs, Drac! :salut:
Cure procrastination. Just don’t do it.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:18 am

And we cut back *cough, cough* this year to only about 85 plants.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:30 pm

What variety are you growing, Drac? We only have a few backyard plants, but plenty for the two of us. This year we planted a variety called, wait for it, "HEINZ"! It been very productive so far with several dozen toms, enough for us and some for the kids.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:38 pm

This year I'm growing mostly Cherokee Purple and Big Beef. I also have 6 Aker's West Virginia and 6 Virginia Sweets. Then at the other end of the garden I have 32 paste tomatoes - 16 Opalkas and 16 Mama Leone's. I tried a new one they sent me a trial package of called Comstock. So far I'm impressed enough that I may grow it next year. I also have about half a dozen cherry and grape types in there!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:48 pm

Wow - I think of tomatoes as something that has to be grown inside a greenhouse!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:49 pm

i have canned 20 quarts of tomatoes so far this year. I have about 10 plants. but now they have the tomato blight so I don't think I will be getting much more. My grand daughter helped with the first batch and that was her first year of canning so she might be a big help in the years to come.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:00 pm

That's pretty impressive for 10 plants, mbday!!

I sprayed mine with fungicide twice and I have very little early blight this year. Mine are still going strong and as long as it stays warm at night, there are hundreds out there that will ripen. Got about 19 pints of salsa, 20 pints of pizza sauce, 14 quarts of spaghetti sauce and 14 quarts of tomato soup so far. Will probably give some of it away. Got lots of the chili sauce left over from last year.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”