It's been quiet around here.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

It's been quiet around here.

Post by JKEerie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:34 am

It appears that I had the last post which was some time ago on these boards. So...I thought I'd check in to see if everything was alright with everyone. I know the weather throughout the US has been horrendous this winter. I've had just some minor wind damage to the house. I pray for all those poor folks in Alabama with the twisters.

How is everyone faring at the manor?

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: It's been quiet around here.

Post by draclvr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:41 am

I know, JK... I've tried to keep the posts up, but there are hardly any responses any more. It's usually quiet in the summer, but kind of unusual that no one comes here any more during the rest of the year. Even my posts about games don't get any responses.

While the weather here has been icky with cold and lots of snow, it doesn't compare with the snow and cold up where I'm from in NW Iowa!

I've been stripping wallpaper and repainting my living and dining rooms. It's needed some updates for a long time, but my back has prevented me from doing much. Finally started getting back injections and they worked so well I can go back to doing stuff. Next, I need to tackle major drywall repairs on the very high ceiling in my sunporch! There is a lot of water damage from when the roof was leaking. We finally gave up and just put on a new roof, but I wasn't able to get up there to do the repairs. Now I can... not looking forward to it, but at least I can do it now!

Got a new dog - whether we wanted one or not! Our dog Charlie died last September rather suddenly. We really didn't want to get another dog because it requires a LOT of training to get along with the chickens and the barn cats. But someone dumped a couple of big dogs down by the river and one of them ended up here. Of all things, a huge bloodhound! She is very young and sweet as the day is long. She appears to be "teachable," but the weather is so awful we can't get out and work with her. She is so attached to us already, I would hate to dump her again, even if it was to a rescue. She's roughly the size of a small pony!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:28 am

It has been quiet here, JK. I've had a busy winter with my annual theater trip to London in January, two NY plays and one local one since then, activities with my Red Hat group, a plethera of doctor visits for my sister and myself, helping with the Aggie Awards over at Adventure Gamers, playing games, and creating some rubber stamp art for the magazine RubberStampMadness. I had one of my pictures published in their spring issue and just sent off another one yesterday that I hope they'll accept for the fall.

I'm sorry to hear about Charlie, Drac. Let's hope your new rescue doesn't think she's a lap dog. What did you name her?

You're handier than I am if you're tackling drywall. Unless it's a small fix, I've gotten to the point in my life where I point and pay whenever possible. Even small projects take me a long time to do. I had to hang a full-length mirror on my bedroom wall. Since it has a heavy wooden frame with carved birds on it, I had a special piece of wood I had to mount securely to the wall and then slide the mirror back down over it. It took me an hour and a half to hang it. It would have taken my late husband 10 minutes to accomplish the same task.
Think like a proton. Stay positive.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Doing drywall is one thing I'm pretty good at. I hung and taped all the drywall in this house when I was remodeling/restoring it. Stripping the wallpaper went really well and was easy for all the walls except two. There I had to fight for every square inch and there was a lot of damage to repair and sand before I could paint. I'd love to just hire someone, but no one wants to do tiny little jobs like this.

How could we say no to this face? Sorry, but the picture won't rotate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm

The picture rotates when you click on it. She looks like she's making herself right at home.
Think like a proton. Stay positive.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Good... it wouldn't rotate when I clicked on it.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:59 pm

Good to see you, Drac and LadyK.

The bloodhound has a nice face. Sure hope everything works out well and you are able to train and keep it, Drac. Congrats on your handywork as well!

You sound like you've been busy LadyK...but in a fun way. I'm with you when it comes to large tasks. I had my entire house repainted on the interior last November...walls, ceilings and trim. I was so tired of the beige I inherited from the original owners. Lots of the trim and doors were scarred up by Mom's walker and wheelchair, so I had everything done. It really makes the house look so different with color.

I slipped and fell on ice as I was shoveling my driveway the other day. I'm not that tall, so it wasn't a long way down, but I landed hard on the concrete. I'm moving okay, but everything is a bit achy. I also had to do something about my porch ceiling, which blew partially down with all the wind we've been having. One section tore completely off, but another was just hanging...flapping in the wind and banging with every gust. I found some long boards in the basement under the stairs. Must have been left by the builders. I grabbed a couple of them and took them outside. They were maybe an inch or two short, so I found some small boards to prop them up and wedge them between the cement at the bottom and the ceiling on the top. One side near the house was solid, but the other near the edge of the porch, came down with the wind, so I got a bungie cord to strap the board to one of the porch pillars. Amazingly it stayed in place! I have a guy lined up to repair the porch ceiling in the spring, but for now this will have to do. At least it's no longer banging and scaring the crap out of me every time the wind blows.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my two great nephews over for a sleepover. What fun! Ethan and Collin are 12 and 10 now, but we played a couple of casual games from the "Lost Land" series. The stories, graphics and voice acting are really good. Nice dramatic cut scenes as well. I chromecast them to the TV in the living room, so one boy handles the controls and we all watch what's going on and comment and assist. The boys really liked the puzzles and have a bit of a contest as to who's smarter. (They both are.) We also watched some movies, as I had them for two full days. We watched "Mr. Mom", "The Chronicles of Narnia" and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." The boys loved them all...not believing the last one was made in 1963...when I was a little girl. We talked about that one afterward as I told them about each of the stars, how famous they were back then, and how they've all past on. We also took turns acting out our favorite scenes. It is really nice being able to relate to kids across generations.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:26 pm

Your sleepover sounds like such fun!

I'm flying out to Denver the last week in March. My grandson - who will be 15 the end of April - and I are building a gaming rig for him together! Frank struggles with school - he was diagnosed with SAD, Social Anxiety Disorder, when he was about 9. He has slowly conquered that with aplomb, but made the decision himself to try ADHD meds to help him concentrate at school. He REALLY wants to go to college and is interested in robotics and engineering. So far this year he is making straight A's and is even taking honors classes! His parents told him if he could bring the grades up, he could build this computer with Grandma... something he's wanted to do for years. He is putting some of his own money into it along with his parents and we gave him the motherboard and a gaming keyboard as his Christmas gifts. I sent the components and packed up my old computer case and shipped them out there yesterday. The case is 10 years old, but is hard to beat for fans and cooling with the new ones. It's still so popular Antec is still selling it. I rebuilt mine in a new case this weekend.

Hope your poor body starts feeling better! I've noticed the older I get, the longer it takes to heal!

Rosaboobie has promised to post some good news here... hopefully tomorrow!

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am

We got another 3 inches of snow overnight. Light stuff, so I started to shovel...but then I felt some icy spots beneath my feet as I did so, and decided to grab the snowblower to be safe. I'm feeling better today, but still not 100%...although as I get older, that's likely on a bit of a curve.

Congrats to your grandson for taking the steps to conquer his SAD and get his grades up. He sounds like a real winner and should do well in whatever college courses he takes. It's great that he has a Grandma who is so tech savvy that you can enjoy putting together his computer together. What a wonderful learning experience!

Will look forward to Rosy's good news!

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:11 pm

It has been quiet here lately. I have made 2 trips to florida in the last couple of months to help my daughter babysit. Hubby is leaving this weekend to help out too. Winter seems to be lasting forever here. My brother said that he saw a flock of red-winged blackbirds today so maybe spring is around the corner. Here's hoping! My back has been hurting lately too. I am so against any kind of medicine - even aspirin or NSAIDS or anything but I have been taking an Advil every day lately. It is like someone is stabbing me in the back when I try to walk in the morning without my Advil. I have been playing lots of older games too. I just finished all the Secret Files games and started Cognition but hit a snag early on and I don't know if I will continue it. I have a jigsaw puzzle in the kitchen to work on whilst hubby is gone and started that too. So, I am just trying to stay busy until I can get outside and do gardening!

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 am

Nice seeing some activity here again! I have been trying to sell my house but the housing market here is dead!! Really is a buyers market! I think everyone is waiting for the election outcome before making a financial commitment (or a South Africa commitment!). Have had my name down for a place in a retirement village near my family for some years and when they wrote to me just before Christmas about an available unit, I had to grab it. Naturally the best scenario would have been to have had a buyer for my house! Have a very keen buyer but she is trying to sell her house!!
So have called in my investments and scrapped together to buy my lovely new place and will just have to move leaving this house empty - hoping it will sell before I run out of money! :)

It has been an extremely stressful time, but now with the move almost here, I am becoming excited. First thing I packed were my jigsaw puzzles mbday!! :)
First sign that winter is on the way here are the Egyptian Geese couple making their presence known from my neighbour's roof this morning. Looking forward to the cooler weather.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Your move does sound exciting, but stressful. A lot of moving parts all have to come together!

I know... I miss all the activity we used to have her at MM. There are maybe half a dozen people who come here regularly and seems to be very little gaming activity at all.

Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Post by Kickaha » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Good to hear from you all! Sorry about your fall JKEerie. We don’t have winters like we used to in my part of the UK, even a dusting of snow is unusual.

I’n no use at DIY round the house, I know I should be but I’m not.

An appealing dog Draclvr!

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 am

I just want this winter over! It seems to have lasted forever. I had 2 of my grandsons spend the night with me last night and that was fun, but, I would like to play in the yard -soccer or baseball or something. they just play the video games and that is about it. I have been dreaming about gardening so hopefully that will start soon.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:58 am

I'm going to start some tomato seeds next week. We are going to have to cut back severely on the gardening this year. Dave's back has been really bad - like the worst it's been in 20 years. We both got back injections about a month ago. Mine worked beautifully. His worked only a little - just enough so that he isn't in constant pain. But he still can't do much. So, I'm afraid the gardening is going to be cut back.

He has decided after talking to the doctor to get a medial nerve block. They find out exactly where on the nerve the pain message is being sent and then deaden the tiny area with heat. It all sounds kind of scary to me, but like he says he has to do something. I can now get by with 800 mg of ibuprofen now and then, but he doesn't want to have a 4th back surgery.