Just thinking

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Just thinking

Postby mbday630 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:55 am

I have some books that my grandparents wrote on my mothers side of the family that are so interesting. How they lived in those olden days. they even stayed in a corn crib! but, I also have a book that my grandmother wrote from my father's side and she told a story of how when she came from the Netherlands (couldn't speak any English) and some guy told her at the harbor that he was there to pick her up. Luckily, the person from the church that was supposed to pick her up came right then. My grandmother always said that she was sure that the strange guy was going to sell her into white slavery. so, if that would have happened, I wouldn't be here, my parents wouldn't be here, my children wouldn't be here.. It makes one think. Man, I am so happy that I live in a time where you can use a cell phone to make sure that who is picking you up is really the person! anyway, I am waxing nostalgic today.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Just thinking

Postby draclvr » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:05 am

mbday, I had to sit here and think about that story for awhile. Sometimes I think we are all just a whisper and a terrible event away from having completely different lives or even not being here at all, as you said. There is no question in my mind your grandmother would have gone somewhere terrible and none of you would be here. Things are so much different today... I see people picking up someone from the airport they don't know using tablets with the company name or whatever group is picking them up. I see the person getting off the plant checking the credentials on the tablet and off they go. Have seen it happen many times. Sometimes technology is a good thing!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:37 am

Even without incidents that include looming disaster, like your grandmother's story, I often think of the possible paths my life could have taken if I had made different choices along the way. It's not regret because I'm content enough with the way my life turned out, but it's more a case of curiosity about what unexpected things I might have done.
We lose ourselves in books and games. We find ourselves there, too.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:07 am

yes, the road not taken. I always wonder too what would have happened .... IF???? but, we will never know.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:58 am

My dad came to South Africa as a young child and in his early 20s, he and a friend went to England and cycled from Lands End to John O'Groats. A week or so from starting out, he met my mother at the Flora Dance in Helston. He continued with the trip but came back to court and become engaged. My mother set sail on the last passenger liner leaving the UK as war was declared. Often wondered how their lives would have changed if not for that chance encounter. The road taken ...
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Val, where did your Dad originally come from?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 am

My Dad was born in the UK and came to SA at age 12. So I am a first generation South African.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:58 am

So they met at the Floral Dance in a quaint old Cornish town?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Y4HufJ1oE
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Val » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 am

Ah yes Phlepbas - that song was played to me as a youngster many times but in later years my mom had the Julie Andrews version not this one. Great fun!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:19 pm

You cant beat the Terry Wogan version lol! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boobie
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Val, that is such a neat story! You should write a book about that - or your father or mother. I am so glad that my grandparents wrote these books so that I could pass them on to my kids so that they know a little about their history.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:25 pm

My Mum wrote this small book, mostly to do with her memories of the German Occupation of Jersey - I had mislaid it but found it last week whilst packing up the house.

Mum book.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Oh, my goodness! What a treasure to fine! I certainly see the family resemblance. I know your relationship with her was somewhat fraught, but she was a beautiful woman.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:15 am

She was indeed very beautiful and very photogenic.

Actually, I am off to Jersey next Wednesday to scatter her ashes. I am keeping this visit a secret from my Jersey friends as it is not a "jolly", and I just need to do this privately and on my own, if you can understand that. I am only in Jersey for 36 hours and the trip is costing me £500 - the joys of going from island to island lol!
Boobie
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:05 am

She was a beautiful lady. I'm glad you are doing that for her. Hopefully you will see some of your friends whilst in Jersey though. I bet that would love to hear about your adventures. And, you sure have a lot of adventures to tell!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”