Subclavian steal syndrome

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Subclavian steal syndrome

Postby Kickaha » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:04 pm

I had a CT scan the other day because I had been coughing blood. They didn’t find what they were checking for but the doctor said I need to be assessed for “Subclavian steal syndrome” which was something I’d never heard of. It means I may have blood flowing the wrong way in a vein. I was just impressed by such a phrase, really imposing.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Birthday
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Subclavian steal syndrome

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm

So, I had to go look this up! I just started typing subclavii... and it popped up, so it's obviously not uncommon. But I've never heard of it. So what do they do about such a thing?

Description is: ...a constellation of signs and symptoms that arise from retrograde (reversed) blood flow in the vertebral artery or the internal thoracic artery, due to a proximal stenosis (narrowing) and/or occlusion of the subclavian artery.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:20 am

How strange - I, too, have never heard of this. How on earth will they reverse the flow? Hope whatever it is, they succeed Kickhaha! ♥
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Thanks Val - I’ll keep you posted as to what the medical profession have to say!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”