Memorial Day

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Memorial Day

Post by draclvr » Mon May 27, 2019 8:48 am

Here in the US, today is Memorial Day. It is a long holiday weekend, but the day itself is meant to honor and remember our service men and women who have passed on whether in combat or not. I will be doing the same as every Memorial Day and working at our American Legion Post. We are the only town in our state to still have a parade. There is a service after the parade and then the Auxiliary serves BBQ pork steak and fried chicken dinners. Dave usually does all the fried chicken, but is passing the baton to a younger generation! He's up there to offer assistance as the new guys need it, but is mostly sitting back. They are doing the same thing with the Auxiliary and passing the baton for all the food prep down to a younger generation.

Enjoy your day, however you spend it! But please just take a moment to remember our lost service men and women.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Re: Memorial Day

Post by LadyKestrel » Wed May 29, 2019 2:01 pm

You both have done so much for your American Legion Post over the years, so mostly sitting back is a good idea. When my Dave was still with us, he used to hand write on cards the hundreds of names from his brigade who died in Vietnam, and he and his fellow vets would place them at the memorial wall in D.C. One of his buddies took over the writing of them after Dave died, and because he has dyslexia, he has to start writing them out two months in advance and proofread them carefully. He told me that task is one of the many reasons he misses Dave. :)
We don’t get smarter as we get older. There is just less stupid stuff left that we haven’t already done.

draclvr

Re: Memorial Day

Post by draclvr » Wed May 29, 2019 2:16 pm

That is such a wonderful tribute to those from Dave's brigade who died in Vietnam. Glad to know someone else has taken it over... though I sure can see why he misses Dave for that particular task!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.