My Summer has simply flown by!

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

My Summer has simply flown by!

Post by Rosaboobie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:36 am

It's been a long and tiring Summer for me - first I spent 8 weeks in April/May packing up my home on Sanday, and then after being nomads for a couple of weeks when we were homeless, we eventually moved into our new house on 3rd June. Since then, I have been working non-stop unpacking and finding new homes for everything. Its a big house and I have a LOT of "stuff" (even the Removal Company said I had an awful lot ha ha) - and so I am still working on this project and have been for the past 8 weeks solid. Although I had help to pack on Sanday, I have had to do it all myself here and I have found it very difficult to try and move heavy furniture around etc. Anyway, I think I am ALMOST to the point of ordering new beds for the spare bedrooms, and ALMOST ready to put up my paintings.

Having said all that, I would like to introduce you to the exterior of Chateau Bingle by showing you this drone video - I am more than happy with the result!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCKVFLT ... e=youtu.be
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: My Summer has simply flown by!

Post by draclvr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am

So, I've watched this drone video at least 5 or 6 times on Facebook. Now I've watched it twice more. I just am stunned every time it goes around to the scenery in front. Is that heather, Rosaboobie?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes, it is heather, Drac. As you know, I spent two months this past Winter in Rogart, renting a little cottage, while we looked for a new home. When I returned to Rogart in June, I was driving along with my mouth open in amazement at the great change in the scenery - just awash with the brilliant colours of the heather and the gorse - simply awesome!
Boobie

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:46 pm

And now you will have an entire view out your two beautiful floor to ceiling banks of windows!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:57 pm

I m actually quite looking forward to getting snowed in here - my doggies have never seen proper snow yet - they probably wont like it, but it will be lovely to see their reaction!
Boobie

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Your property is lovely, RB! It sounds like you're reaching the end of the unpacking and are starting to make the place your own. Moving big pieces is difficult. I use the slide method If I can lift it enough to get a towel under each end. Otherwise, I'm fortunate to have helpful neighbors.
Sorry, Santa! I meant to behave, but there were too many options.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:43 pm

They also make these furniture sliders that are simply amazing.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 pm

Yes, it was only when my lounge carpet was professionally cleaned last week and the guys used them, that I suddenly rememberd about these wonderful sliders duh!

But I have to say my hardwood furniture I bought in Kenya is unbelievably heavy - It took three hefty men to move some of it last week ha ha!
Boobie

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Always best to let those with younger backs do the heavy lifting!

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:43 am

it sounds like you had an exciting, wonderful summer. Your house is beautiful and I bet your dogs are loving it there. Good move, for sure!

Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Diat60 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:36 pm

Beautiful house, Rosa! It looks like something on Grand Designs. Hope you and the canine companions will be happy there for years to come.

Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Stella » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Beautiful new home, Rosie. But I have to be nosey and ask, why so big? I can hardly keep up with my house, let alone one the size of yours. Do you have people lined up for maintenance? Just thinking about washing those windows sent me for a nap!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Maybe so I can come for a visit sometime!

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:58 am

Stella wrote:Beautiful new home, Rosie. But I have to be nosey and ask, why so big? I can hardly keep up with my house, let alone one the size of yours. Do you have people lined up for maintenance? Just thinking about washing those windows sent me for a nap!
Well, Stella, as you know, most NORMAL people will actually downsize at my age, but then again I never professed to be normal, nor do I want to be ha ha!

I went from a huge house in Kenya to a smallish cottage on Sanday, and it was not the best transition house-size-wise - Orkney homes have very little storage etc. and even the doorways are very narrow (I never did manage to get my 3 piece suite into the house until my conservatory was built) and as time went on with the house hunting, this was the first house I viewed which said to me "I am yours"! It reminds me so much of my Kenyan home, with all the tiled floors and high ceilings etc and being only 10 years old and having been made to the highest standard by the previous owners (who actually designed the house and made a wonderful job of it) , the house is virtually maintenance-free, all the interior wood being made from polished Pine and will never require anything done to it in my lifetime. As for the windows, I just let the rain take care of the outside ha ha. And I have found a wonderful local DIY man (who is really an electrician but can turn his hand to anything), and he comes here for a day at a time, helping me with all the little jobs. He doesnt know it yet but he is coming here next Thursday to put up about 50 paintings - he doesnt particularly like putting paintings up, albeit he does a wonderful and quick job, and he has a great sense of humour and we have such a laugh working together on these days.
Boobie

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 am

I know the first time I saw pictures before RB had even bought the house, it thought had the feel of her Kenya house. Plus, now that the side lot is fenced, the pups have lots of room to run!