Air Fryer's

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Air Fryer's

Post by Stella » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am

Does anyone have or used an air fryer? Suppose to eliminate cooking with oil, and I wondered if it might be a nice thing to have, or just another gadget? :eat

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Re: Air Fryer's

Post by JKEerie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi Stella...I got one a few months ago, as I had a craving for breaded pork chops, but didn't want to use the deep fryer. I love it! You can make a number of things in it and find a number of recipes on line. That's where I found the recipe for breaded pork chops. They didn't come out as dark as they would if you deep fried them, but they were excellent. I use it for french fries, chicken. The one I got is a Farberware 3.2 liter. Even though it's just me, and I most often cook for one, I'm glad I got the 3 liter versus the 1.5. You will appreciate the extra capacity and the size of the cooking basket. I also bought an olive oil sprayer to make it easier when called for in recipes.

Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Stella » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:10 pm

oh, that's funny! I was thinking of pork chops too, and I didn't want to haul out the deep fryer, fill it with oil, then clean up the mess! The grandkids are here quite often and they love fries. I can earn brownie points with fries, and pull ahead, in the bestest grandma contest. Thanks for heads up about the bigger size.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:51 pm

It makes the best fries. I buy the bagged ones and would normally bake them in the oven. I make them in the air fryer at 400 degrees. Time is based on how many I'm making. Clean up is so easy as well. It took a bit of experimenting when I first got it. The first time I made the pork chops, the recipe had all the seasonings added to the breading, so the pork chops were rather bland. I fixed them by making a spicy raspberry sauce to pair with them. I use sauces now with a lot of air fryer recipes, since you don't get a gravy or juices. Now certain recipes are second nature.

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:00 pm

I've been wanting one of these for a long time! Nearly got the one you have, JK during the last Amazon sale day. My sister has one and she uses hers all the time and loves it. I got one of those olive oil sprayers too... haven't had to buy one of the nasty cooking sprays for a long time! I order my olive oil on-line from a company called Jovial. Really good stuff. They specialize in gluten free foods, but their olive oil is the best.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:40 pm

I got mine at Walmart. They had the smaller one on sale, but when I got to the store, I decided to spring for the bigger one. So glad I did. I never realized I was ruining my pans with the aerosol spray oils. Apparently the propellants are damaging to the coating. Who knew?

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:55 pm

I have read somewhere that the off-brand sprays are the worst for making surfaces gummy and nasty. I only use cast iron skillets and pans and the sprays will never touch them! I stopped using them on my cookie sheets too. I use parchment paper which also eliminates another can to add to the trash issues. I love my olive oil sprayer!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Post by Sneaker » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:55 pm

My mom is very satisfied with her airfryer. Only used it for fries and snacks though.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Moderator @ Adventure-Island.nl

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:43 am

I am watching this and enjoy hearing everyone's opinion on air fryers. I just asked hubby if he thought I would use one or if it would be something after 2 weeks I would put in the basement and forget and he seems to think it would go into the basement. I don't have a lot of counter space, so, I wonder too if I would just put it in the basement and forget that I have it. but, another thought ----- I have to get something for my secret santa gift and maybe this would be a good idea?

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:27 am

The only reason I don't have one is the lack of somewhere to put it!

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:09 am

The one big reason I don't have a lot of things is because of nowhere to put them!!! :D

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:30 am

Even if I had space for another appliance, I couldn't buy one now because my kitchen is about to be renovated from top to bottom. I have to find storage for everything while the work is being done, and I think I'll take the opportunity to give away those things I haven't used in umpteen years.
Think like a proton. Stay positive.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:34 am

A few years ago, I redid part of my kitchen and worked out of boxes for about 6 weeks. It was awful! One of these days, you're going to have to show us some pictures of your projects!

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:35 am

If you're going to get one Stella be warned, make sure you get a good quality one. I have an Omorc, and the first time I cleaned it the coating came off and they won't do anything to compensate. It works great but doesn't clean up good. And they're very easy to operate, everything is push button.

As far as cooking goes, it's fabulous. I definitely recommend one. I've made everything from chicken, pork chops, burgers, potato wedges and everything came out great. They do whole chickens magnificently, but I don't recommend doing a stuffed chicken.

When we do our chicken, we marinade it overnight in Swiss Chalet marinade. Oh, and we do our corn cobs in it as well, I won't boil corn anymore. I coat them with a melted spiced butter. Cooking times are mostly trial and error, but I write everything down. Old memory not so good anymore.

They are worth having, I will always have one, but when we move I'm getting a good quality one. Hope this helps.
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Darn, you are making me want to find room for one, StarLite!