The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Postby draclvr » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm typing up recipes for my mom to give as Christmas gifts to the grandkids and great-grandkids. I came across one a crock pot creamed corn I'd forgotten all about. It's absolutely delicious and way easy.

Crock Pot Creamed Corn

2 16 oz.packages frozen corn
8 oz. cream cheese
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp salt

Place ingredients in crock pot. If the corn is frozen, cook on high for 45 minutes, then low for 3-4 hours. If the corn is
thawed, cook on low for 3-4 hours. Easy and the best.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:01 pm

ahhh-- sounds wonderful- maybe use this creamed corn for the cornbread recipe
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Sophie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks Drac, sweet corn has always been a favourite and this recipe sounds like real soul food. :lol:
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Draclvr got me started on a recipe exchange thing, so far got three back and not sure if they sent only to me or as instructed in the email. I sent this one which is easy and pretty good.

Corn Chowder

2 cans creamed corn
1 can evaporated milk
6 slices (or more) bacon, cut into 1/2 pieces
4 small diced cooked potatoes (or canned)
1/2 onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon until almost done, add onion and fry down. Add the rest of the ingredients and heat through. You can eat it right away or let it simmer for more taste. I cook the potatoes in the microwave while frying the bacon and onion. One time I added imitation crab, not sure if it is available on the Mainland or not. It was extra good.
What kind of magic spell to use?
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Aquarius

Postby Melia » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:12 am

I wrote those recipes down. I'm off to the grocery store today. Yum!
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:37 pm

I went looking for Melia's New Year's Day Black-Eyed Peas and had such a good time re-reading this thread! Good stuff in here!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Melia » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Everybody just left after munching down the black-eye pea soup, some wassail, and cornbread. Nice day! It's my son-in-law's birthday today, so I also made a coconut cake. Yum!

draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:04 pm

I got many rants and faves over the Black-Eyed Peas today, Melia! I printed out a paper with what they were so people would know. I called them Texas Style New Year's Day Black-Eyed Peas.
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Melia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:10 pm

I've always loved sharing recipes. It keeps them from being lost. If I ever lose mine, I know where to go to find it - to you guys!

I remember having an aunt who kept her prize recipe for potato salad a secret. The recipe died with her. What a shame!

petervinsly
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby petervinsly » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 pm

Ant buddy want to know about the chicken curry recipes , I really like this one recipes if you want it so I just give to some basic step over here so you can easily make it.

3tablespoon(s) oil
1teaspoon(s) ginger paste
2 onion(s) grated
2tablespoon(s) garlic paste
1cup(s) yoghurt beaten till smooth
1teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
2teaspoon(s) coriander powder
2tomatoes grated or finely chopped
1teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
1teaspoon(s) cumin powder
½teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
2teaspoon(s) coriander powder
salt and freshly milled pepper to taste
12medium pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
1cup(s) hot water
1teaspoon(s) curry powder or hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
finely chopped fresh coriander to garnish.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for the curry recipe, petervinsly - it sounds wonderful!

Welcome to Mystery Manor. We'd love it if you'd introduce yourself in our Guestbook forum...
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:28 am

Chicken curry is my absolute favourite dish
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Melia » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:48 pm

That recipe looks delicious. I have a vegetarian daughter. We could use cauliflower, beans, chick peas, or lentils and rice with that one.

Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Bacardi Jim » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm

WORLD'S GREATEST SPAGHETTI SAUCE

1 medium onion (I prefer white but sweeter yellows are fine)
1 small green pepper
1 package Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage
2 cans Del Monte Italian Style stewed tomatoes
1 10.75 oz. can tomato puree
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce (If you can find a "roasted garlic and basil" variety, even better. Also, Contadina makes the best tomato sauce.)
1 8 oz. can of the same as above
1 small can Contadina (if available) tomato paste
2 tbs white sugar
2 tbs Italian seasoning
2 tsp ground thyme
1 tbs parsley
4 tsp oregano
2 gloves garlic
2 bay leaves

Chop green pepper and begin sauteeing in olive oil in medium skillet. (Always start the pepper first, as it takes longer to reach the right point.) Chop onion and add to skillet after a couple of minutes. Mince/press garlic and add it last. Cover and sweat your veggie mixture. Sweat until the onions are transparent.

In the meantime, get your big ol' pot warm at medium heat and chop up the sausages Cut them into about 1/2" thick slices so they make little meatballs. Brown them until they reach a point where they are a little brown on the outside, but not fully cooked. Drain sausages and then add the veggies to the pot with them.

Now for the messy part. It's time to add all the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the tomato paste. Add the sauce and puree first so the mixture doesn't continue frying. Then the stewed tomatoes should be hand-squeezed to break them up as they are added to the mixture. Some may want to use diced tomatoes to eliminate this messy step--but the end result isn't as good. Add the spices and sugar. (The sugar is because you want this sauce to simmer for a while and tomatoes get bitter the longer you boil them.)

Reduce to low heat. Cover pot loosely and simmer for two hours. The sausages will finish cooking during the simmering process and allow some of their flavor to leech into the sauce. The escaping steam will allow the sauce to cook down slightly. After two hours, stir in tomato paste and cover again. Simmer 30 minutes. Your sauce should now be at the perfect consistency. (IMPORTANT NOTE: different cans of stewed tomatoes contain different amounts of water. You may find that you can fully cover the pot early during the simmering if your tomatoes had little water, or even forgo the paste completely if your tomatoes had little water. If they are really watery cans, you might want to completely remove the lid for half an hour of simmer time.) Stir occasionally, as solids may stick to the bottom of the pot and scorch.

Finally, turn off the heat and let the sauce stand covered while you cook your pasta. This allows the bay leaves to do their work.

I've never shared this recipe with anyone, and Theresa may kill me for it, but the thread needed reviving.

Also, note that the measurements for the spices are approximations. I don't actually measure them--I judge by eye and taste.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:27 pm

When you say a package of sausage, are they in 1 lb packages? I may have to give this one a try when my tomatoes are ripe this summer. I grow around 120 of them from seed - mostly heirloom varieties, but others too. Last summer when the Germans were here, I made a pasta sauce that had no other ingredients than fresh crushed Brandywine and Amish Paste tomatoes, fresh basil, chipped white onions from the garden, fresh oregano, freshly dug garlic and a bit of salt and ground black Tellicherry peppercorns. No sugar necessary as the Amish Paste tomatoes have a very high sugar content. No amounts available as we just kept adding to taste - Petra, Guenter and I finally said, "Perfect!" after a couple hours of simmering.

We had made a run down to "The Hill," an Italian neighborhood in St. Louis, and stocked up on home-made cheese and beef ravioli. The feast only had one thing lacking - a second bottle of a red wine I picked up in Viviano's Italian Grocery - it was a 2008 Tommasi Viticoltori Romeo - Petra and I knocked it off before dinner was even over. Of course, killer garlic bread is also a requirement for BJ's pasta sauce!

1 lb of the best and freshest Italian bread you can find (great bread is the key)
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened (do not substitute any kind of margarine)
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt

Cut the bread in half lengthwise. Generously spread with the garlic butter and place under a broiler just until the bread starts to get crispy and brown. You may sprinkle on some mozzerella before putting under the broiler for cheese garlic bread. I prefer it without.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”