The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:40 pm

I don't think this method will work as well with a pork roast. They tend to be fattier and really don't require this long cooking method with liquid to make them tender. With a good pork roast, I just dry roast it until it's done to the required temp on a meat thermometer. After I skim off the fat, the drippings do make a good gravy. You can always store the liquid in a Zip Loc bag in the freezer until you want to use it.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:32 pm

I forgot to ask you if you keep your roast covered or not??? Well, it came out okay, It was bit dry, I think I can make it better next time! My hubby liked it, so i guess it was okay. I am my own worst critic! I want to try it again soon. :D Oh, and thanks for the tip on the gravy too! :D

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:37 pm

It was me who didn't say to keep it covered! I think the cooking in a small amount of liquid for a long time while covered is called braising. I'm not sure. Maybe FGM knows. It appears she's a really good cook! Pork roasts are usually too fatty for this method.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:29 pm

Drac, thanks for the info and the tip. :)

As for roast pork I never cover as we like to have a crisp crackling
on top.

In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:54 pm

I agree, Sophie. That is why I never use this method for pork roasts. I always go for the slices with the crispy outside!

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:18 am

I do roast pork alot, either a pork butt (fattier inside) or a shoulder which has part of the skin on and it leaner inside. Love the cracklings too, over here in Hawaii we (on special occasions) do a whole roast pig, on a spit over an open fire. To die for, imagine a whole pig of crackling skin, save the meat for later on. Anyway, I always do a pan gravy, if not enough, add some of the pork gravy packets from the store and I always have applesauce on the side. The family loves it, it is never dry, no water in the pan, just a slow roast at 325. I don't like pork loin roast, not enough fat, not worth the added cost, though probably is much healthier.

Fairygdmther
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Fairygdmther » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:53 am

I haven't done a pork roast in a long time, but if you've got a good layer of fat on it then it would be a waste to braise it in liquid, I agree.

Sometimes what I've done, is strip off the fat and trim any fibrous stuff off the meat, use a spice rub, if you like, then lay the fatty layer back over it to cook, so the juices get into the meat better. It keeps it nice and juicy. If you prefer the meat browned on the edges, at 3/4 cooked, you can just peel the fatty layer off, and let the meat brown without having time to dry out.

FGM

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:37 am

Gosh, how do you ladies know so much???? I wish I could sit down in front of you all with a notebook and paper, and just take notes!!! I had no idea what Braising meant :oops: but now I do, thanks to all!!
So, with a roast beef, your saying you would keep that covered, but with a pork roast you would leave it uncovered, right?
I had a pretty huge pork roast. I put it in my roaster with some water. I didn't have any onions left, so i used onion powder on top. Some salt and pepper, in a 325 degreeoven for three hours. I basted every now and then, unsure if i was even supposed to do that! It was okay, like I said, but it wasn't juicy, and it tasted so plain. Like I said, i want to try it again!!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:38 am

Oh, FGM, putting the rub under the fat sounds good. Add a few slivered garlic cloves and I'd be in heaven. We do a whole hog over a spit here sometimes too, but it's been years since I've had one. You're right, Hawka - to die for!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:22 am

If I had to guess, I'd say you probably roasted it too long which is why it got a little dry. The 325 is a good slow roasting temp. If you con't have a meat thermometer, you should buy one. What I use is a temperature fork. Hubby and I both swear by it. We have a couple of them. We have an annual steak cook at the American Legion and do about 120 steaks. We use them to cook the steaks exactly how people like them. But I also use it to make sure my chicken breasts are done or whatever.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:16 pm

Never heard of a temperature fork??
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:13 pm

That's a great idea! I will get one this weekend.
Hi Rosaboobie! :D A temperature Fork is just that. You stick it into the meat and read whst the temperature of it is. It's a safe way to make sure beef and chicken is cooked through enough to be safe to eat.
When i was little, I used eat my beef rare - now you have to cook everything well so you do not get sick!

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:29 pm

I can remember days gone by - I used to love a nearly raw steak - but today I would throw up if I was offered one. I go to the local butchers for dog meat - and I am nearly gagging me with the stench of the meat!
Boobie

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:32 pm

DOG MEAT???? :shock:

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:34 pm

lolo - that should read meat for my dogs :shock:

I only look after my dogs I do NOT eat them!
Boobie