The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:20 pm

When you use two pounds of hamburger it makes a 9 x 12 cake pan. However I use those plastic ones since the cheese doesn't stick as much to them. We had five adults in the house for dinner and it is over half gone, the kids prefer the plain tacos. Yes it would be a good potluck dish, it tastes good enough if it isn't real hot. Heats up well in the microwave also.

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:32 pm

Yum! Added that to my list of quick Sunday night suppers. I only have time to cook on the weekends. On Saturday night I usually make something really nice and Sundays, it's a casserole or something like this.

Here's another quickie. Takes maybe half an hour.

Brown 1 1/2 lbs hamburger with chopped onion and a little salt and pepper. When it's browned well, add 3 cans of Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Chiles. I use 2 cans of medium hot and 1 can of hot, but 3 cans of the medium will be pretty mild. Then chunk up about 6 ounces of Mexican Velveeta and toss them itn Simmer till all is melted and mixed together.

While that is simmering, cook some angel hair pasta for 3 minutes. Add to the meat and sauce and that's it! I add chipotle sauce to mine, but hubby thinks it's just spicy enough as it is.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:36 am

I made a killer ratatouille yesterday. Normally, I just chop up the veggies and throw them in a casserole and bake. Great stuff. But this one called for sauteeing all the veggies to a light brown in olive oil, adding some vegetable broth or thin tomato juice, baking for an hour and then draining all the liquid off. Then you reduced the liquid to a thin syrup and added back to the veggies, chopped up a few tomatoes and mixed them in and covered for just a few minutes - no more actual cooking. Then I added some fresh grated Romano and mixed in it and sprinkled some on top. It was just awesome and got rave reviews. Well worth the extra trouble.

It called for onions, garlic, zuchinni, yellow squash, eggplant, red, yellow and green sweet peppers and the tomatoes. I only had the zuchinni, peppers, onions, garlic and tomatoes. It still just rocked.

I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:51 pm

I would like the recipe, I made something similiar once, no yellow squash but it had fresh basil in it.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:26 pm

I will copy and paste as is from the Recipe.com website.

Dad originally got this recipe from Dean & DeLuca, and over time it has become a family classic. Only he has the patience to make it. The recipe is little involved, but the results are fantastic. Luxuriously rich, smooth, and flavorful, this ratatouille is practically soaking in olive oil and is the best way I know of preparing vegetables that people can't get enough to eat.

1 lb of yellow onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lb zucchini, chopped
1 lb yellow squash, chopped
Bell peppers, seeds removed, chopped into 1/2 inch square pieces:
--1 lb green bell peppers
--1/2 lb red bell peppers
--1/2 lb yellow bell peppers
1 lb eggplant, 1/2 inch cubes
1 lb fresh ripe tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
salt to taste
2 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 sprig rosemary
3/4 cup vegetable stock (or thin tomato juice)
fresh ground pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Using a large oven-proof pan over medium high heat, saute onions in olive oil until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and reduce heat to low.

3. While the onions and garlic are cooking over low heat, put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a another frying pan over high heat. As soon as oil starts to smoke, quickly add enough zucchini cubes all at once to cover the bottom of the pan. Keep on cooking over high heat, stirring, until zucchini is lightly browned on all sides. Remove zucchini cubes, and add them to pan with the onions.

4. Repeat process until all of the zucchini cubes have been cooked. Do the same with the yellow squash. Make sure to add a little olive oil between each new batch. Continue with the bell peppers, then the eggplant cubes, adding the browned vegetables to the onion pan as soon as they are cooked.

5. When all the vegetables (except the tomatoes) are browned and in the pan with the onions, increase the heat to high and stir, making sure they don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add salt to taste, thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary, the vegetable stock, and stir well. Place in oven for one hour.

6. Peel the tomatoes and chop up roughly. Remove the seeds if desired.

7. After the vegetables have been in the oven for an hour, remove from oven, drain vegetables in a colander set over a bowl. Clean browned bits (if any) off bottom of pan with a paper towel. Return any liquid to the pan and reduce to a thick glaze over medium high heat. Keep on adding juices to the pan as they run out of the vegetables into the bowl.

8. When all the juices have been reduced, return vegetables to the heavy pan. At this point the ratatouille should be moist and shiny, with very little liquid. Turn heat off. Add the chopped tomatoes and cover. If serving as a warm side dish, let the ratatouille stand for 10 minutes, just enough to "cook" the tomatoes. The ratatouille can be served at room temperature or refrigerated and reheated the next day.

9. When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

I baked everything in the oven out in the garage and couldn't watch it as closely as I would have liked as I was busy carmelizing onions. So I only baked the veggies about 45 minutes at 375 degrees.

I didn't have fresh herbs, so added a couple of pinches of dried ones. When I was ready to serve, I added about 1/4 cup of freshly grated Romano (but Parmesan would do just fine also) and then sprinkled a Tablespoon or so on top. I served it just warm. I had it for lunch today and it was even better.

I didn't have all the veggies, so I just used what I had. It was worth every minue of all that sauteeing!

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:24 pm

I think I might give it a try tonight if I can find some decently priced fresh fish. This sounds like something that would go well, trouble is only three of us like the veggies so it might last forever. But then it sounds like it would cook down into a sauce nicely. I have been known to do that with a spaghetti sauce, just to get more veggies into them.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:39 pm

I made it with maybe 2 lbs of zuchinni, a lb of onions, about 5 or 6 green peppers from the garden and of course the garlic. At the end I chopped up 2 big tomatoes. Aftre everything was cooked down it filled a large mixing bowl and was a perfect batch for serving with the deep-fried turkey yesterday. Dave also found enough of the first sweet corn for everyone and I made a big bunch of fresh cauliflower with cheese sauce so there were plenty of other veggies. Add to that my famous fried potatoes with caramelized onions and "the eatin' was good!"

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:23 pm

I'm making Drac's Chicken Chipotle recipe tonight. Smells good! My mouth's watering, Drac!

Here's the New Year Soup that has the black eye peas that Drac mentioned:

4 small bags of black eye peas
6 cans of Rotel (that's spicy hot canned stewed tomatoes)
4 cans chicken broth
3 large onions - chopped
6 stalks celery and tops- chopped
2 Tbl salt
¼ C garlic - minced
1 Tbl lemon pepper
Fresh cilantro - chopped (I usually use the whole bunch)
Elgin sausage - chopped (garlicky-hot tasting weiners. Elgin is a town close to here that specializes in German-type sausage))
Carrots - chopped (I used most of the bag.

Put this all together in two large dutch ovens. Cook on the stovetop for about 2 hours.
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks Melia, sounds delicious and just in time for our Christmas
Party. :)
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:03 pm

I've made Melia's New Year's Soup with the Black-Eyed Peas a couple of times. We always nearly eat ourselves silly on it!

I think the Black-Eyed Peas are supposed to bring luck in the new year.

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:08 am

OK. I figured it was time for Christmas recipes, so I'm giving again my recipe for Bourbon Pecan Cake:

2 C. Whole, candied cherries
2 C. White, seedless raisins
2 C. Bourbon
2 C. Softened Butter
2 C. Sugar
2 C. Dark brown sugar
8 Eggs, separated
5 C. sifted all purpose flour
4 C. pecan halves
1 ½ TSP baking powder
1 TSP salt
2 TSP ground nutmeg

Combine cherries, raisins, and bourbon in large mixing bowl. Cover tightly and let stand in refrigerator over night. Drain fruits and reserve bourbon.

Place butter in large bowl and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugars and egg yolks, beating on medium speed until well blended.

Combine ½ C. of the flour and pecans.
Sift remaining flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add 2 C. of flour mixture to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.

Add reserved Bourbon and remainder of flour mixture alternately, ending with flour. Beat well after each addition.

Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold them gently into cake batter, then add drained fruits and floured pecans to the mix. Blend thoroughly.

Grease 10” tube cake pan and line with wax paper. Grease and flour wax paper.

Pour batter into pan to within 1” of top (leftover batter may be baked in small loaf pan prepared in same manner).

Place in oven, which has been heated to 275 degrees. Bake tube cake for 4 ½ to 5 hrs (loaf = 2 hrs). Cool in pans on rack 2-3 hrs. Remove from pans and peel off wax paper.

Wrap in Bourbon-soaked cheese cloth and aluminum foil for storage. (I don't do this last step. It tastes wonderful without it.)

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:11 pm

Thanks Melia, sounds delicious. :D
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:29 pm

MMMM, that sounds good. Thanks Melia.
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Something tells me that one is going to be on my list for desserts this year! Yum!

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:14 pm

I ran into someone who used this recipe but didn't like nutmeg, so he substituted cinnamon.