The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

De-cafe Green Tea On The Cheap

Post by StarLite » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:30 pm

Wow, that's a lot of recipes.

I don't know if this could be considered a recipe or not. But as we all know too much caffeine can be dreadful. And of course business likes to gouge us when it comes to specialty items. Well for the green tea lovers here is a way to make de-cafe green tea out of regular green tea at home. I don't know how this would work out with a pot maybe someone can try it and let us know.

You need a tea bell for this. Put the amount of tea you use for making a cup in the bell. Put the bell in the cup, fill cup with boiling water, wait 30 seconds, take the bell out of the cup. Throw out the tea in the cup, put bell with tea in it back in cup and fill cup back up and steep tea to your liking. It doesn't make the tea taste any different.

They say that caffeine releases in the first 30 seconds of steeping. So there you go. I hope someone didn't post this already, sorry for not checking first.
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:42 pm

I don't think anyone has, Starlite. And we have several serious tea drinkers here who will be interested in your technique. I'm curious. Does this make the final tea any "weaker" in taste?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Would this technique work with black teas too?

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:02 am

draclvr, it doesn't change the taste of the green tea at all. It still tastes the same but without the caffeine. I do it that way all the time now. You don't lose much tea either. You will see that the water has a green tint, which is probably the caffeine draining out.

Madea, I wouldn't try it with bags. I tried it with Tetley and I couldn't drink it. I had to throw it in the sink. I found that it became very strong and bitter. I think it might work with Tetley tea leaves. I think I still have some Red Rose leaves in the fridge. I'll give it a try with those and let you know.

But for Green Tea it works great. Why pay more when you don't have to. And de-cafe tea is more expensive. Hubby bought me some Tetley de-cafe bags and 48 was the same price at 216 bags. I'll probably have a tea after my exercises so I'll try it with the Red Rose and get back to you on it. My doctor told me that after 6 pm you should not have caffeine. That's what prompted me to start the change.

A word of caution though. If you are going to kick caffeine, do it a bit at a time so the body can get used to the change. If you go cold turkey you'll start getting headaches like you wouldn't believe.

I'm going to put up an Apple Spice Bars recipe you can enjoy with your tea too later. So drink up everyone and enjoy. :wave:

P.S. Update on the tea. Ok, I tried it with Red Rose leaves and it worked out pretty good. Hubby gave me a little tip though. He says that you should put hot water in the cup first, then put the bell in. That way the leaves aren't being shocked. But when you pour the water out the first time try to do it fast so you don't lose any tea.

Now what I found was I used a full teaspoon of leaves. I think pending on how strong you like your tea, next time I'll used 1/2 teaspoon. But it still turned out pretty good and I use milk and sugar in regular teas, not in green tea though. I guess it would take trial and error to find the right strength for your liking. But if you find the strength you like, make sure you pull the bell out of the water quick because it tends to drips out fast. I'm going to put a recipe for Apple Spice Bars up. Hope you like them. : :santa:

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:32 pm

I have a recipe I would like to share with everyone. It's easy to make and really good. There's a little story behind it too. Every time I make these bars I think of this Polish fellow I used to work with. I made the bars and took them to work one night because we were having a Euchre tournament during our breaks.

Well at lunch time we all made our coffees, I went to get the bars to dish them up and they were all gone. So I did a little investigating and found out that this fellow had eaten all of them. The people who worked with him said, this guy is such a dedicated worker that he never left the line even to go to the bathroom, he would always wait till breaks. But this night he was in that lunchroom about 10 times till the cake was gone. When I confronted him he admitted eating the cake and said it was good and offered to pay me for it. I didn't really care, I just wanted the other people at work to have some.

Well here they are the famous Apple Spice Bars

Cream 1/3 cup shortening (I use butter) and 3/4 cup sugar (I use brown sugar).
Add 2 eggs, beat well
Stir together 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional 1/8 teaspoon chinese 5 spice, or 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves)
Blend into creamed mixture, mix well. Stir in 1 cup finely chopped peeled apples. Spread in greased 13x9x2-inch pan. Sprinkle a mixture of 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon atop (optional as well, I leave this out because for me it's too much sugar and it tends to burn. The cake is just as good without it). Sometimes I like to put walnuts in as well.
Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 mins. or till done. Cool, cut into bars and enjoy

Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:20 pm

Tortellini Soup

I made this soup in a small amount because I thought the boys (they were young then) wouldn't like it. They must have been starving because my sister and I almost didn't get any. But it's easy and elegant at the last minute too.

When I make it fast I use canned and frozen, if I want gourmet, I use fresh, its up to you and it does make a difference in taste.

Also, it is such a versatile soup, that you can make it vegan if you want to.

Ingredients

one 16 oz can of good chicken, beef or vegetable broth. (stock is better)
one 16 oz can of chopped (not stewed) tomatoes
one 10 oz package of frozen spinach, chopped
one cup of chopped or thinly sliced onions (I like the sliced)
2 or 3 minced cloves of garlic (this is to taste, I love garlic)
Tablespoon of good olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of oregano, rosemary, thyme
1 bay leaf
small package of frozen tortellini (your choice, I perfer cheese).
salt and pepper to taste

Place the onions, garlic in the olive oil on low heat. Cook until the onions are a little translucent but still firm.
Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice. Bring it to a quick boil and turn it down to low medium.
Add the herbs and the spinach. Let it get back to a simmer and taste. Now is the time for salt, pepper and adjusting the taste. If its too salty add a little water and bring it to a simmer again.

This is when you can just freeze it or refrigerate it for later.

Bring the soup to a quick boil and add the tortellini. You add the pasta as the last step because the pasta will swell if left in the broth too long. It is good the next day though.
Serve as soon as the pasta is done. I serve it with some grated parmesan on top and a piece of crusty bread.

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:37 pm

All of these recipes sound delicious and I have added them to my Recipe Book.
What a perfect Sunday tea, Madea's Tortellini Soup, followed by StarLite's Apple Spice Bars & Tea. :)
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Both of those sound great. I'm making more pumpkin bread this weekend, I'll try the apple spice bars too. They're going in my recipe book also, thank you :D
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:28 pm

Let me know how you like the Apple Spice Bars. I'm thinking of trying my next one with Granny Smith Apples. I usually use MacIntosh. Never cooked with Granny's before. Enjoy :coffee2:

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:14 pm

StarLite, I love Granny Smiths for cooking, we have always had a tree in our garden.
They cook up beautifully and if stewing need very little water, they come up nice and fluffy.
and a definite must with pork. :)
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:23 pm

They are also my personal favorite for an apple pie.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

draclvr

Moving the Chipotle Recipies

Post by draclvr » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:33 pm

White Cheddar And Chipotle Mashed Potatoes

2 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled, cut into large pieces
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk or cream
2 tablespoons chopped canned Chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Boil potatoes and garlic in large pot of salted water until potatoes
are very tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Return garlic and potatoes to pot. Mash with
potato masher. Immediately add cheese, milk, chilies and butter and mash until smooth and cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Sauteed Shrimp with Chipotle Chile & Green Onions

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 pounds medium-large shrimp
(26 to 30 per pound), peeled and deveined
1 bunch green onions, sliced
(including most of the green)
1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile
1/2 cup white wine
2 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Heat the oil and garlic over medium heat. Add the shrimp, green onions,
and chipotle and cook just until the shrimp turn pink. Add the wine and
stir 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and season with salt and
pepper. Stir in the butter just before serving

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:39 pm

All of these recipes are going into my recipe file. Thanks, ALL!
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:40 am

Wow, having an apple tree right outside your door would be great, except here the squirrels would pick it clean before I could harvest.

Those mashed potatoes sound great draclvr, Russet potatoes are good too. I have a bag of them downstairs.

Hmmm, all these recipes are making me hungry. Big turkey day coming up hope everyone's ready for it. :santa:

draclvr

Grab & Run Breakfast Bars

Post by draclvr » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:27 pm

We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But at 4:30 or 5:30 am, eating is the last thing on my mind. I heard this recipie on NPR one day and ran to the website and downloaded it. It's from a cookbook by Nigella Lawson. They are really, really good.

I'll just post her whole thing from NPR.

I am addicted to these and so is everyone I give them to. Although they're quick to throw together, they do take nearly an hour to bake, so what I suggest is, make a batch on the weekend and then you will have the oaty, chewy bars ready and waiting on those days when you have to snatch breakfast on the run. Mind you, they are just like milk and cereal in bar form, so there's nothing to stop you from nibbling one with your morning coffee at home every day. If you are not a morning person, believe me, they will make your life easier. They also store well; indeed, they seem to get better and better. So just stash them in a tin and remove when you want.

Grab and Run Breakfast Bars

1 14 oz. can condensed milk
2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, pine etc.)
1 cup natural unsalted peanuts (I used slivered almonds)

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and oil a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

Warm the condensed milk in a large pan. Meanwhile, mix all the other ingrediendts together and add to the warmed condensed milk. Mix well.

Spread into the oiled pan and press down with a spatula, or better still, your hands to make the surface even. (I used a rubber spatula to spread and press down evenly.)

Bake for 1 hour. Remove and after about 15 minutes, cut in 4 across and four down to make 16 chunky bars. Let cool completely.