The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:32 pm

I might try it out next weekend myself, Madea! Maybe we can compare notes...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:48 am

Madea, I never thought of it, but the reason they may tell you use instant coffee crystals is because they dissolve better. You don't want to bite into a slice of bread and get a hard piece of coffee.

My hubby said I put a message up saying that this is a real recipe because of the odd ingredients. He told me about people on food forums who put up phony recipes that aren't real, but I assure you it is real.

I hope your friend is feeling much better :wave:
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Those of us who do a bit of cooking could spot a phony recipe in a second! I don't doubt this one a bit.

I think I may have had one of those hard pieces of coffee this morning! I made it a bit stronger than usual as it was just hideous out today and I had to work outside all day. Freezing temps, snow and 39 mph winds do not make for a pleasant day!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:08 pm

Oh yeah, this looks like a real recipe to me. I've used dark chocolate or unsweetened chocolate in loads of savory recipes. Try a bit of good cocoa powder in your beef gravy. People won't know why it tastes so good, but it will be very rich.

I have a secret stash of extra dark chocolate just for cooking. Nobody touches my chocolate even if they are in severe chocolate withdrawal :D

Instead of the coffee crystals, I want to use some strong cold brewed coffee. I'll add the coffee to the liquid portion of the recipe.

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:16 am

draclvr, I couldn't imagine working outside in this weather, my heart goes out to you. I barely tolerate it when I have to shovel. If it wasn't for going to the doctor I wouldn't even leave the house in winter.

Madea, you must be quite the baker. Every time I try to alter a recipe it ends up in the garbage. Let us know how it turns out.

Anyone ever tried those Apple Spice Bars yet. I got another recipe for spirals that are really good. I'll post that later

Well Bon Appetit everyone and stay warm :sun

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:21 pm

I got the stuff today and plan on making the Russian bread this weekend. I just imported it into this wonderful cookbook software I got a couple of months ago. I pretty much just copied and pasted from MM into the cookbook, linked each of the ingredients to the database, imported the picture and this is what my recipe looks like:

Living Cookbook Recipe

The pic isn't that great and I couldn't capture the whole thing, but you get the idea.

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:21 pm

What's the name of the software Drac. That's awesome.
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:22 pm

It was recommended in Smart Computing magazine, so I checked it out as my old recipe software just wasn't doing what I wanted. You can download a trial first and see how you like it. Their support at the website is also extremely impressive. I love the video how-tos.

You can check it out here.

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:28 pm

Thanks Drac, I book marked it for later :D
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Well, the Russian Black Bread is in its final rise before going into the oven. I have a hearty beef stew simmering on the back burner and am going with a bottle of dry red wine with it.

I made a half recipe for just one loaf. Instead of coffee crystals, I used good strong coffee left from this morning in place of the water. But otherwise, I followed the recipe to a "T." It's very dense and was hard to knead, but it's rising nicely now.

I'll let you know the verdict later!

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Sounds yummy, Drac! I've got a chicken, sausage, ham gumbo cooking right now.

Sooooo, how did it turn out?
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Absolutely outstanding! Dense, chewy, moist and bursting with flavor. I actually did this 1/2 recipe in my bread maker, although I did most of the kneading by hand because the dough is fairly stiff.

A bunch of us are planning a trip to a local winery in March. I'm going to make it again and take a good sharp cheddar cheese along. Just a wonderful recipe. Thank you, Starlite!

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:17 am

Kudos draclvr and congrats on a job well done. Glad you liked it. It always looked so good in the picture but I never had the nerve to make it. Later on I'll put up another recipe for Spirals that are really good and easy to make.

Sorry I haven't been around, hubby hurt his back and I'd been busy taking care of him. We had another snow storm and I had to shovel the driveway by myself so now I'm sore today and we're supposed to get 2-3 more storms this week, it's starting out there already.

Well I'm off, take care everyone and Bon Appetit

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Post by Sophie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:20 pm

It's St.Pat's Day and I came across these drinks which would brighten up
any Saint's Day !! :D

DUBLIN MILKSHAKE
Ice
45ml Irish whiskey
30ml Baileys
120ml cold milk
1 scoop vanilla icecream
1 teaspoon powdered drinking chocolate

Place ice, whiskey, Baileys and milk in cocktail shaker; shake well.
Pour into highball glass.
Top with icecream and dust with chocolate.

HOW TO MAKE IRISH LIQUEUR CREAM
This smooth, chocolate-flavoured liqueur has an Irish whiskey base and blends well with milk or cream.

Try a nip of Baileys in Irish coffee or to make an adult milkshake. A tablespoon of Baileys can be used as a topping for ice-cream, a chocolate-based trifle or used to freshen up a stale cake.

To make Irish liqueur cream:
Combine 400ml condensed milk, 300ml cream, 2 tablespoons of chocolate topping, 3 eggs, 1/4 tablespoon vanilla essence and 1 cup Irish whiskey in a blender.
Process for 20-30 seconds or until mixture just begins to thicken.
Serves 6-8.
Store in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.

IRISH COFFEE
1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
30ml Irish whiskey
120ml strong black coffee
Whipped cream
Grated nutmeg

Combine sugar and whiskey in a liqueur coffee glass.
Top with coffee and stir.
Gently spoon whipped cream on surface.
Sprinkle with grated nutmeg.

In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Post by Melia » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Sophie, those recipies look delicious. Have you tried any of them?
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock: