The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Post by Sophie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Only the Irish Coffee Melia, but I intend to get round to the others. :D
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:18 am

I did my corned beef in the slow cooker this year, it came out fantastic. Fork tender but didn't fall to shreds when sliced. I was going to try the recipe with a can of beer, but couldn't find any beer when I started it this morning. :shock:
What kind of magic spell to use?

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:23 pm

Need help with potato salad. Every time I make potato salad I end up with some black potatoes. I usually through them out, but sometimes there's a lot of them. How can I prevent this. When I boil my potatoes and drain them, I run cold water over them to stop the cooking process, then I put them on a plate covered with paper towels and put them in the fridge to cool them off. But some potatoes turn black. That's not too bad when you only have a couple of pieces, but I don't want to end up throwing out more than I make. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :wave:
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:43 pm

I found a good article StarLite - http://whatscookingamerica.net/potato.htm

Reasons Potatoes Turn Black After Cooking:

Potatoes occasionally turn gray or dark after they are boiled; this color change may be caused by the conditions under which they were grown or stored. It's impossible to tell which potatoes will turn dark, but the discoloration does not affect flavor, texture, or nutritional value. Contact with aluminum or iron will also discolor potatoes, so cook them in stainless steel pots.

More reasons why cooked potatoes turn black:

According to the Idaho Potato Growers at http://www.idahopotato.com/faq/index.php:

If the potatoes were stored too cold (below 40 degrees F) then they can turn black. Could also have black bruising from being handled (dropped) when cold. If your potatoes turn black after they are boiled, you may be using an aluminum or reactive pot, so it's important to use a pot that's non-reactive.

While cooling, iron in the potato combines with other natural compounds, causing a grey, black, or bluish purple color. To prevent this, after the potatoes are cooked and drained, stir in a small amount of lemon juice and keep them covered with a tight-fitting lid.
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Sounds like I'd better take my newly purchased potatoes out of the refridgerator, Angelfire. Thanks.
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Exactly why I never store my potatoes in the fridge. Somebody told me that was why many of mine turned black or gray. Since then the only time I've had one do that was because of a bruise I missed or something like that.

And I NEVER have this problem once we get the fresh potatoes from the garden. I can't wait!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. My potatoes don't go black till I cool them in the fridge after they're cooked. I'm wondering if cooling them on the counter might be better.

They say that you shouldn't store your potatoes around or near onions because onions give off a gas that makes potatoes age faster. Food for thought :wave:
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Diat60 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:32 pm

Finally in the right thread.

SHORTBREAD DROPS

1 c. butter
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. raisins
1 c. chopped walnuts

Cream butter and sugar; blend in egg yolk, vanilla, and salt; mix well. Stir in flour. Mix in raisins and walnuts. Drop by small teaspoons onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until delicately browned on bottom. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Thu May 01, 2008 4:28 am

I love shortbread with a good cup of coffee or tea, thank Diat60 :D

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Thu May 01, 2008 5:06 am

Oooh Scrummy - I adore shortbread, but never tasted the home baked kind yet - Must try this recipe for sure!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

Caroline
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Caroline » Fri May 02, 2008 7:17 pm

draclvr
I'd really love to see your receipe for hearty beef stew. Do you mind posting it for me please?

I make a beef soup that one son loves and the other groans over. So when I make a pot I have to follow up with a lamb casserole and then listen as the other son groans. Gee it's hard being a mom sometimes.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri May 02, 2008 9:42 pm

Let me do some digging, Chocolate Goddess!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Sat May 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Ok, this is not technically a recipe -

Make the new Jello Chocolate Fudge Pudding, drizzle Hershey's chocolate syrup on top, top with extra creamy Cool Whip - delicious :D

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat May 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Don't you feel the least bit guilty, Angelfire?? :D :D

Chocolate Goddess, I totally forgot to look up a couple of my beef stew recipies. Here is one:

Beef Portabella Stew

2 ½ lbs stew beef
2 cups yellow onions, sliced
2 cups portabella mushrooms, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 quart beef broth
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp Italian seasoning
3 Tbsp Kitchen Bouquet sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh broccoli

Brown stew meat in the pot with olive oil, garlic and Kitchen Bouquet. Melt butter in a large pan and saute onions, mushrooms, and carrots 5 minutes. When beef is browned, add veggies. Add beef broth, Italian seasoning, tomao paste, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours. Serve with steamed broccoli and fresh baked bread.

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Sat May 10, 2008 9:41 pm

Thank you Drac, looks great and just in time as we head on into Winter. Real soul food
followed by Angelfire's yummy choc. dessert. Image
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous