The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Post by draclvr » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:59 pm

I would like a lovely tall glass right now!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

dragonqueen
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Sangria (this is how my Spanish parent wrote the instruction

Post by dragonqueen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:00 pm

Sangria

2 cups red wine (wine from Chile is cheaper and better)

2 oranges , sliced

2 lemons, slices

Seven-up or Sprite ( to taste) maybe 1 cup?

sugar (I just add until I like it)

If you can (but not necessary) a shot of brandy .

Mix all and taste, you can add a little at a time more: wine, or seven up, or sugar

I never measure any ingredients, I just taste it and add what I like.

I hope you like the Sangria, whether you make exactly like it is (1 cup 7-up, etc...) or add it in amounts that you find suitable to your taste buds! Sangria is a wonderful Spanish drink! :D :sunny: :rah :angel7: :occasion1:

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Sounds real tasty Dragonqueen. I have added it to my party drinks and we will make up some for
the virtual Christmas Party we have here at the Manor every year. :D
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

dragonqueen
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Post by dragonqueen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Keep in mind that recipe is just for 1 pitcher of Sangria and not necessarily a large one at that. If you want to try it for parties, you will have to experiment until you get the right amounts of ingredients because one small pitcher full won't, in my opinion, last very long at all!

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:52 pm

I have it saved, sounds so refreshing, much better than the already bottled one. Thanks!
What kind of magic spell to use?

dragonqueen
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Post by dragonqueen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:54 pm

You're welcome! Let me know what you think when you try it! :)

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Dragonqueen, do they usually use a dry or a sweet red wine?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:04 pm

I've copied the recipe. Thank you!
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:42 pm

That sounds very good, it's been added to my file as well. Thank you :D
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!

dragonqueen
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Post by dragonqueen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:14 am

draclvr wrote:Dragonqueen, do they usually use a dry or a sweet red wine?
I think they just said a red table wine. Not sure though. Since there is sugar added to it anyway, I'm not sure that it matters?

Use whatever you think tastes best, unless you want me to ask them, just in case?

P.S. Don't forget to eat the fruit, guys and gals. You don't have to eat the skins if you don't want to, but the fruit tastes good when it has had a chance to soak up the wine! :)

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:47 am

Hawka, I made your salad recipe with the mango onion dressing that Drac found the recipe for. It was fantastic! With your permission, I'm going to give the recipe to our Manorite friends.

Fantastic Salad

1 jar of pickled beets
avocados, cubed
tomatoes, chopped
gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

Combine the above and serve with mango onion dressing.

Mango Onion Dressing

In a food processor combine:

1 mango, chopped
1/2 small sweet onion, chopped
1 Tbl. sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup (I used less) light salad oil (I used olive oil) which you add in a slow, steady stream after the above has already been processed.
salt and pepper to taste

AND FOR DESSERT!! :rah :rah :rah (My contribution)

Coconut Cake with 7-Minute Frosting
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2007
1 coconut, see Cook's Note

For the cake:
Vegetable oil, for cake pan
14 1/4 ounces cake flour, plus extra for pans, approximately 3 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup fresh coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh coconut cream
8 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
16 ounces sugar, approximately 2 1/4 cups
1 teaspoon coconut extract
4 egg whites
1/3 cup coconut water

For the 7-Minute Frosting:
3 large egg whites
12 ounces sugar, approximately 1 3/4 cups
1/3 cup coconut water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grated coconut from 1 coconut, approximately 8 to 10 ounces

Cook's Note: To open a coconut: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the coconut onto a folded towel set down in a large bowl. Find the 3 eyes on 1 end of the coconut and using a nail or screwdriver and hammer or meat mallet, hammer holes into 2 of the eyes. Turn the coconut upside down over a container and drain the water from the coconut. Store the water in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Place the coconut onto a 1/2 sheet pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. The coconut should have cracked in several places. Using an oyster knife or other dull blade, separate the hard shell from the brown husk. Using a serrated vegetable peeler, peel the brown husk from the coconut meat. Rinse the coconut meat under cool water and pat dry. Break the meat into 2 to 3-inch pieces. With the grater disk attached to a food processor, grate the coconut.

For the cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil 2 (9-inch) cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper. Oil the parchment paper and then flour the pan. Set aside.

Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.

Combine the coconut milk and coconut cream in small bowl and set aside.

Place the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and using the paddle attachment, cream on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Decrease the speed to low and gradually add the sugar slowly over 1 to 2 minutes. Once all of the sugar has been added, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. Turn the mixer back on to medium speed and continue creaming until the mixture noticeably lightens in texture and increases slightly in volume, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the coconut extract.

With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture to the butter and sugar in 3 batches, ending with the milk mixture. Do not over mix.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter, just until combined. Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bang the pans on the counter top several times to remove any air and to distribute the batter evenly in the pan. Place in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is light golden in color and reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.

Cool the cake in the pans for 10 minutes then remove and transfer to a cooling rack. Once the cakes have cooled completely cut across the equator of each to form 4 layers. Place the 1/3 cup coconut water into a small spritz bottle and spray evenly onto the cut side of the 4 layers. If you do not have a spritz bottle you may brush the coconut water on with a silicone pastry brush. Allow to sit while preparing the frosting.

Frosting:

Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium to maintain a steady simmer. In the meantime, place the egg whites, sugar, coconut water, cream of tartar and salt into a medium size-mixing bowl. Place the bowl over the simmering water and immediately begin beating with an electric hand mixer set to low speed. Beat for 1 minute and then increase the speed to high and continue to beat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and beat in the coconut and vanilla extracts for 1 minute. Allow the frosting to sit for 5 minutes before using.

Place approximately 3/4 cup of the frosting on the first layer of cake, sprinkle with 1/2 cup coconut and top with the next layer. Repeat until you reach the top layer. Frost the top and sides of the cake and sprinkle with the remaining coconut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Intermediate
Prep Time: 60
CookTime: 40
Yield: 1 cake
User Rating 5 Stars

Episode#: EA1104
Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:15 am

Oh, my. My mouth is watering over that cake! I dearly love coconut, but hubby can't even stand the smell of it!

I'm just going to have to try Hawka's salad too. I have about 8 quarts of pickled been down in the basement that I need to use up. That mango dressing does sound too good.... wonder if Hawka has tried it yet and how it compares to the one she buys.

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:44 pm

That sounds perfect in this hot weather, no cooking just salad and hot bread.
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:42 pm

Those recipes are great and the salad and dressing will be top of my list this coming Summer. :)

Came upon this site for quick meals for men, but hey, why should they have it easy ? :D
Okay girls, here you go - http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/menshea ... the-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks Sophie.

You know how that recipe says that the prep time is 60 minutes? Ha! From start to finish, including using a fresh coconut and grating it, it took 4 hours. BUT, it was well worth the effort. (Am munching as I type...:slurp:)
Last edited by Melia on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.