The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:36 pm

Okay, now I have two recipes to make this weekend. The grab and run breakfast bars and the apple bars. That'll take care of the coffee break for a couple of weeks. Although I might have to share with co-workers.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:02 pm

Sophie's ALMOND AND CHOCOLATE MERINGUE CAKE
Servings: 4
Level of difficulty: Intermediate
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients
4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp white wine or cider vinegar
150g ground almonds, lightly toasted
175g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
55ml water
150ml double cream, lightly whipped
1 tbsp icing sugar
3-4 tbsp dark rum
To decorate:
icing sugar and grated chocolate

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.

2. Prepare two 20cm sandwich tins by buttering and dusting them with flour. Line the bottoms with a disc of baking paper.

3. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm and glossy and then gradually add the sugar. Continue whisking until the mixture is very stiff. Add the vanilla extract and vinegar. Gently fold in the nuts.

3. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins, smooth the top and bake for about 30 minutes until firm.

4. Carefully turn the meringues out and leave to cool.

5. Slowly melt the chocolate and water in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water.

6. Stir the whipped cream, icing sugar and rum together and then carefully fold into the melted chocolate mixture.

7. Place one of the meringue discs onto a serving plate and spread the cream evenly over. Top with the remaining meringue disc.

8. Dust with icing sugar, sprinkle with grated chocolate and serve immediately.
Not only did I fall off the diet wagon, I dragged it into the woods, set it on fire, and used the insurance money to buy cupcakes.

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm

Time for some comfort food for all you Winter Bound spirits.Some of you may be fortunate enough to own a copy of The Congressional Club Cookbook.
By chance I learnt of this book, first published in 1927, contributions of
favourite recipes made by Presidents, Senators, Ambassadors etc.
I have found some recipes from Senators & Representatives HERE

Of course I had to find a chocolate recipe from Minnesota. :D

STEPHANIE'S CHOCOLATE-RASPBERRY TART
Ingredients for Crust
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup cold, hard butter, cut into Tablespoon-size pieces
Ingredients for Raspberry Filling
1 pint fresh raspberries (or one 10-ounce package frozen raspberries)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
Ingredients for Chocolate Filling
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
Ingredients for Glaze
1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate
2 teaspoons butter
Crust: Process ingredients until crumbly. Pat into a 10- or 12-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool.

Raspberry Filling: Puree berries. Add cornstarch. Process until mixed. Add a little sugar if necessary. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened. Cool. Spread over crust.

Chocolate Filling: Melt chocolate in double-broiler; cool slightly. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add chocolate and beat 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat 5 minutes after each egg. Spread over raspberry filling.

Glaze: Melt chocolate and butter together. Drizzle over the top of the tart in a "spider web" pattern.

Refrigerate.

:)
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:22 pm

Mmmmmmm. That sounds scrumptious, Sophie! Thanks for posting it.
Last edited by LadyKestrel on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not only did I fall off the diet wagon, I dragged it into the woods, set it on fire, and used the insurance money to buy cupcakes.

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Oh, my, Sophie, that's going right into my new recipe software I just downloaded! Rasberrys and chocolate - doesn't get any better than that! I'm starting 6 new rasberry plants this year and can't wait for them~
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:04 pm

Have you checked out the recipes on the site I posted ? Some great
temptation there. :D

In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:15 pm

This is a Paula Dean recipe that I found in today's paper. The article says, "As her fans know, Deen, the silver-haired Southern queen of the Food Network, is famous for staying true to the ones "who brung her", namely butter, whipping cream, bacon and all those other wickedly good things. Can't you just see her dipping her finger in the icing and moaning in chocolate?"

Black Velvet Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup cold espresso
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Dark Chocolate Frosting:

1 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cups dark cocoa powder
6 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Sugar rose petal garnish:

Organic rose petals from 2 roses
1 egg white
1 cup superfine sugar
small flat paintbrush

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray one 10-inch bundt pan or 2 9-inch rounds with a nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
( I use Crisco and flour. And to make the sides of the cake even with the center so there's not a hump in the middle, cut up a terry kitchen towel you don't want into strips. Wet the strip and fasten with a safety pin around the outside of the round pan. As the cake bakes, the outside won't cook too fast and the center and edges will remain the same height.)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, buttermilk and oil. Mix until smooth. Batter will be thin.

Pour into prepared pan (s).

Bake 35 to 40 minutes for bundt or 25 minutes for the rounds, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

For frosting: In a large bowl, mix together melted butter and cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spread consistency. Add more milk if needed. Stir in vanilla.

Garnish: Separate the petals from the roses. Working one petal at a time, brush one side of the petal with the egg white using the paintbrush. Gently pour sugar over the area that's been painted. Carefully shake off excess sugar. Allow to dry.

To decorate: Frost the cake and garnish with the sugared rose petals overlapping in a circle to recreate the look of a flower.

Makes 10 servings.
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Oohh, I've been wanting a good recipe for Black Velvet Cake, I've heard of it but never had it.

Thank you Melia :D
Just when I get used the the voices in my head - one of them starts stuttering!

Tichelle
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Tichelle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:10 am

Ohh, Black Velvet cake as opposed to Red Velvet. hmmm

What a good tip that is about the strip of dish towel around the cake pan.

Here is another tip: when baking a chocolate cake, use cocoa powder to "flour" the pans. That way you won't have that white residue of white flour.

The heating element in my oven broke in two, so I have not had an oven for a week now. And, the debate is to hunt down another element or buy new. Double wall oven. Old. Hotpoint brand. The last time the element had to be replaced it was a hassle to find one for this old model. And Santa Claus did not bring me that Sugar Daddy that I requested. :wink:
(Wants to move to Hershey, PA.)

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:53 pm

I would get a new oven Tichelle, the newer ones don't even have the bottom element exposed, at least my Maytag oven doesn't. Hmm, wonder if the towel tip would work on a rectangular cake, I hate when the center is so much higher the the sides.

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:12 pm

Ooooooh Melia, what a divine recipe.

Combine that with a long cool glass of ........

Black Velvet
1 part dark stout beer (or porter)
1 part champagne or sparkling wine

Mix equal amounts dark stout beer and champagne in a champagne flute.

:D

Tichelle
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Tichelle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Hey Hawka, that would be great. I haven't even looked.

hmmm I wonder if my SIL's is that way. I do like the digital push a button controls on hers,,,and it beeps when it is finished pre-heating.
(Wants to move to Hershey, PA.)

Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:30 am

Sophie

That Black Velvet beverage sounds like just the thing. Sounds like an upscale black and tan. Hmmmm and I love a good stout. I'm putting that on my list for this weekend. What type of food would go with that?

It's too posh for fish and chips.

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:17 pm

Madea, it is a lovely pre dinner appetiser. Every year our Lions put on a
Mother's Day Breakfast and boy do we enjoy our bacon & eggs. :D
Like most drinks, you should drink what you like not what is regarded as
"proper". a glass of wine with fish & chips makes a real gourmet meal ! :D

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:36 pm

hawkavonpuka wrote: Hmm, wonder if the towel tip would work on a rectangular cake, I hate when the center is so much higher the the sides.
Yes, it does, Hawka. And Sophie, that drink sounds yummy. Tichelle, that tip about the cocoa powder is a good one. I hadn't heard about that one before. Glad I was able to help you out, Angelfire. I haven't made the cake, yet. I'm looking for an excuse to do so where there would be more than just me and hubby to eat it. :lol:
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock: