The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Melia wrote:I haven't made the cake, yet. I'm looking for an excuse to do so where there would be more than just me and hubby to eat it. :lol:
You could invite us all over. :D
Not only did I fall off the diet wagon, I dragged it into the woods, set it on fire, and used the insurance money to buy cupcakes.

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:37 pm

Of course you 're all invited!!!! That would be great. I'm always up for a party. Image
I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.
It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance? :shock:

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Any bread bakers out there. If anyone is interested I'll post a recipe for Russian Black Bread. I've always wanted to make this bread but never did get the chance. It looks so good in the recipe book. It almost looks like a cake. If any one thinks they might like to give it a go, I'll post the recipe. I'd be curious to find out what it is like. :wave:
Be thankful for the dawn of the coming day - Lisle Engle

StarLite Moon's Creators Haven
http://starlite-moon.freeforums.net/

Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 pm

Post it please, I'll give it a try. I've been off and on looking for a good dark bread recipe. I've tried a few and they have been good.

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Wow, Madea, I was just checking out that recipe. If you succeed in making this bread. You should get the blue ribbon award for effort. When hubby comes home I'll get him to teach me how to use the scanner and that way I can just copy and paste the recipe rather than type it all out. I hope you got a really big mixer for making two loafs of bread. It's quite the recipe, but it looks so good. If you make it, let us know what it's like. :wave:

Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:50 pm

I guess I'd better get some strong ale, strong cheese and fruit to go with it. Sounds like party bread.

I can get some of my friends to come over, they like it when I'm trying new recipes :D Even when they don't always work out.

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 pm

That sounds delicious, Starlite. I'd be willing to bake it, too. That strong ale and cheese and fruit sound soooo good, Madea.

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:15 pm

Ah yes Madea, ye olde Elven Breakfast. I keep driving my hubby nuts with that. Well here it is and good luck with it. It sounds like a pretty radical recipe. If no one wants to try it I don't blame you. I hope it tastes good. I don't know why this message looks so big. Did I do something wrong

3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups rye flour
2 cups whole bran cereal
2 packages active dry yeast
2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
2 tablespoons caraway seed
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
2 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup cold water
1 tablespoon cornstarch

In large mixer bowl combine 3 cups of the all-purpose flour, 1 cup of the rye flour, the whole bran cereal, the yeast, coffee crystals, caraway seed, sugar, salt, and fennel seed. In saucepan heat together the 2 1/2 cups water, molasses, butter or margarine, chocolate and vinegar, just till warm (115 to 120 degrees) and chocolate and butter are almost melted; stir constantly. Add molasses mixture to flour mixture in mixer bowl. Beat at low speed of electric mixer 1/2 minute scraping bowl. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir in remaining 3 cups rye flour and as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can mix in with a spoon.

Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place till nearly double (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours)

Punch down; divide in half. Shape each half into a ball. Place on greased baking sheets. Flatten sightly with palm of hand to 6 to 7 inch diameter. Cover; let rise till nearly double (30 to 45 minutes). Bake in 375 degree over for 50 to 60 minutes or till well browned and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire rack

Meanwhile, in small saucepan combine the 1/2 cup cold water and cornstarch. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly, cook 1 minute more. Brush over hot bread. Makes 2 loaves.

Here's what it looks like

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/8311/r ... eadoe7.jpg

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Oh, yeah. Ale, cheese and fruit with that one! Sounds wonderful.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:07 pm

I agree, Drac! I love chewy dark breads and dark ale!
Not only did I fall off the diet wagon, I dragged it into the woods, set it on fire, and used the insurance money to buy cupcakes.

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:08 am

Ya gotta admit though looking at some of the ingredients of that black bread looks a little scary. But it looks good in the picture

Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:11 am

I'll probably substitute some strong thick coffee for the instant coffee but it looks delicious. Hmmm, I think some beef stew would go good with this too.
I'm going to try it this weekend, I'll go get the ingredients tonight.

StarLite
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by StarLite » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:57 am

Hmmm, beef stew, I love it. We were supposed to have stew tonight but we forgot to take the meat out. But please if you make this bread let us know what it's like, even if it tastes bad.

Melia
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Melia » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Mmmmm. Those ingredients are very interesting. I'd love to try it out.

Madea
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Post by Madea » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:10 am

Sorry all, I didn't make the bread this weekend. My group voted to go out for dinner. It wasn't my fault. :oops: :D They usually love my cooking, just one of the members had a rough month and needed a break from anything to do with home.

And this weekend I promised a friend some raisin bread or some other sweet bread to go with coffee.

I might make up the dough and freeze some before the second rise. I printed out the recipe and put a note to let you know how it turns out when I make it.