The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Yup, that's what I do. Use a serrated bread knife if you have one and brush the crumbs off before you put on your pudding or frosting. I usually leave the top one uncut. For my ice cream cake, I cut each of the rounds in half also to give myself 4 layers. Like Winfrey says, have a little treat!

While I'm at it, here's my ice cream cake which I am requested to make for my son's birthday every year - and he's 36 now!

2 boxes of pound cake mixes.
3 pints of different sherbert ice cream flavors
2 cans of cream cheese frosting

Bake the pound cake mixes in 2 round pans. When completely cool, cut them in half crosswise to make 4 cakes. Slice the top off one of them to make it flat.

Let the sherberts sit out a bit so they become soft enough to mush up and spread.

Make 3 layers with a different sherbert between each layer. Put the last cake piece on top. Frost the whole cake top and the sides. Put in the freezer in a flat place for at least a couple of hours before serving.
Last edited by draclvr on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:45 pm

Fairygdmther wrote:The usual way to fix that is to put one round side down, put your filling in and put the top layer round side up.

Hi FGM! :D That's exactly what I did, and it worked out GREAT! Thank you!!
My boys are loving it! :D
I have NEVER made Ice cream cake before!!! That's sounds great!!!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Kids absolutely love it and you can use whatever their favorite ice cream flavors are, not just sherbert.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:37 pm

Maybe I'll get my courage up and give it a try!! :D
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:21 am

:D Hi All! Roast Beef... Okay, I know there are different ways to make it, mine seems to come out a bit dry. Also gravy. If you can make a tender roast beef, and a tastey gravy, please share HOW YOU do it!!! Please and thank you!! :D
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:45 am

This my favorite way - it's the proverbial pot roast that every wife served on Sunday in the 50's and 60's. I use a nice big chuck roast and you will need a fairly big roaster and about 3 hours. I have an ancient old blue speckled one I use.

Brown the roast in a skillet on both sides with a little salt and pepper. This is not to cook it, just to get a nice brown on it. Put the roast in the roaster and put about 1 cup of water in the skillet and simmer for a few seconds to remove all the goodies and brown bits. Pour over the roast. If you don't have a big enough skillet you can skip this step. I just think it helps with that awesome gravy you get at the end.

While the roast is browning, chop up a medium onion. Put the onion in the roaster with meat and put into a 325 degree oven. After about an hour I add a bunch of peeled carrots cut into chunks. Always check for liquid. You don't want it to go dry, but you don't want it swimming in liquid either. After 1 1/2 to 2 hours peel a bunch of potatoes and add to the roaster pushing them down into the liquid if you can. Add a bit of water if you need to at this point. Roast for another 1/2 hour or until the potatoes are done.

Add water to the pan after you take the roast and veggies out - like maybe 1 cup - 2 cups. Mix up two or three tablespoons of corn starch in water and slowly add to the gravy stirring constantly until it thickens to the consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Now I'm hungry!
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:54 am

Hi Draclvr! :D That sounds incredable!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO Much!!
Question, do I haveto pre-boil the carrots and potatoes?
Also, JK bought me a crock pot, but I never use it. Do you know how to make this in there??
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:01 am

No, you don't have to preboil the veggies.

You can also make this in a crock pot, but the result isn't quite a good as in a roaster in the oven. Just do pretty much the same thing and cook it on high for several hours. I think the difference is in the gravy at the end, but the crock pot method is also very good and also very easy.
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:26 am

I LOVE gravy!!! If you say that the oven is the better way to go, than that's what i will do too! :D I have the same pot you mentioned, dark blue with the white spots...
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:19 pm

Can't wait to hear how it turns out! My theory on the better gravy is that as the liquid in the roaster simmers off it creates the brown stuff that good gravy is made from. Like I said there is a trick to how much. I wouldn't let it get below 1/2 - 1 inch of liquid. Then only add as much every 20 minutes or 1/2 hour to keep it at about that level. The onions cook down to nothing and even if your kids claim they don't like onions, they really make the gravy taste wonderful.

Try it once this way and the next time in the crock pot and see what you think.

Good luck!
Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Sophie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Drac, that is exactly how I do my pot roast, in the oven. As you
say, it can be done in the crockpot but doesn;t have that extra
oomph. :)
I usually add red wine, (not necessary I know, but does add to
the flavour) :D
In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Well, the pot roast sounded so darned good I made it for supper tonight. Dug a big old beefalo roast out of the freezer and grabbed a bag of sweet corn frozen from the garden last year while I was at it. Sophie, I was going to add a bit of red wine to it, but the only one I had here is fairly sweet and I didn't think that would be very good. The problem with dry red wines is that they don't stay around long as I drink them!

It was the perfect thing after a long boring day of horrid weather - 25 degrees/snow/40+ mph winds - and house cleaning. Must do a bit of gaming tonight! Hubby and the kitty went to bed so I have the house to myself. Woo hoo!

I'm getting a bit bored with Diablo II, so I need to peruse my game pile to see what I might like to play. Hmmmm.....
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:31 am

Hi draclvr! What's Beefalo? Or did you just mean beef? :D
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:48 pm

No, beefalo is a breed developed after interbreeding buffalo and beef. It's all pretty complicated, but I think it's something like 3/5 beef and 2/5 buffalo in the breeding. You can find a lot on the internet about it. Supposedly it has saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium etc. at a level that is less than fish. Tastes absolutely wonderful too. We get a side every year.
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Like cow meet and Buffalo meat mixed together? :D

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”