The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Post by draclvr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:05 am

At long last, the pizza recipe. I made one small batch of dough and measured what I put in it. This makes enough dough for 1 large pizza.

Ingredients

1/2 cup hot water mixed with 1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups flour
Olive oil and garlic powder for the edges of the crust.

Add the oil and yeast to the hot water and milk, mix well and let it stand for a few minutes. Mix again to make sure the yeast has dissolved. Add the salt and 1 cup of the flour. Mix it up well and then add the remaining 3/4 cup flour. Dough should hold together, but be just slightly sticky. Cover and place in a warm place to rise for an hour or so. No kneading! I've found that kneading (which forms the gluten in bread) makes a pizza dough that is too "tough" and bread-like and I want a nice crispy pizza crust.

I use cast iron skillets to get that good crust, but use whatever shallow pan you have. Grease your pan and plop the raised dough in the middle. Using all the flour you need to keep your hands from sticking, start patting the dough out to the edges. You might have to pat hard, but just keep moving it out to the side and form edges up the side of the pan. With a pastry brush, brush the edges with olive oil and sprinkle generously with garlic powder.

Top with your favorite pizza sauce, a light layer of mozzarella cheese and your favorite meat and vegetable toppings. Bake in a 375° oven until the crust starts to brown. Open the oven and add a generous amount of mozzarella cheese. Turn the oven up to 400° and bake until the cheese is bubbly - about 5 more minutes.

If you don't have a good pizza sauce recipe, I found this one and it's pretty good.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 (28-ounce) can tomato puree
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Directions

Over medium heat, heat oil in a saucepan until hot. Add all ingredients, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:26 am

You don't bake the pizza base first for a while before putting the topping on? This is what Girl Friday used to do!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:59 am

No. You put the sauce and toppings right on top of the dough. That's the way they do it in pizza parlors too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:04 am

Ok, I am going to try this recipe of yours then, Drac - Cos I know you are the Pizza Queen! :cheers:
Boobie

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:15 am

I am for sure not a Domestic Goddess like you are in the kitchen. Let's hope it turns out better than the lasagna that I cooked. But at least the dogs enjoyed it!
Boobie

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:36 pm

I wonder if I remember how to make a pizza crust the way we did it in Dominos, I was pretty fast then but that was almost 15 years ago. We did not push, pull or roll it, used a special technique to form the crust and flatten it, then toss it up and catch it on our hands to round it. We would get busted for the tossing part but we did it anyway.
What kind of magic spell to use?

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:20 pm

That's right - you were the pizza queen back then! They use a different type of dough for their crust and I love it.

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:42 pm

They came to us in these neat little flattened balls in trays, all we had to do was leave the dough out to proof it. I'm going to try yours though, not too happy with the canned stuff in the store. Thanks for posting it. We didn't knead the dough either, we would lay it on the flat side, the pull the edges in to form the edge. Then flip it over and using the heels of our hands, circle the dough meanwhile forming the crust more. The two hands flattened moving in a circular pattern, round and round until it was the right size. At this point we would toss it, mostly if we had an audience. I could take a medium dough and make it way huger than a large. My fav was to at least stretch the medium to a large so it would be thinner but still have a formed edge. The the sauce, put in a circular motion starting with the center and working out. Then the toppings, working our way down the line. We were supposed to do the whole pizza in less than a minute and we usually did. I sure got spoiled on just out of the oven pizza and nothing else can compete.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Plus, I love Domino's Pizza! That's pretty much my technique in flattening it out in the cast iron skillet too.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Can I use any type of flour??
Boobie

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 am

I just use regular flour... If you have a wheat flour, I'd mix it with white. The one thing I wouldn't use is cake flour - it's too fine.

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:52 pm

We used a mixture of flour and cornmeal, slides easier.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 pm

What is cornmeal? :scratch:
Boobie

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:49 am

It's made of finely ground corn, although it's coarser than flour. No cornbread or polenta in your life?!