The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Postby draclvr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:39 pm

I just watched a short video on how to make your turkey gravy a day or two ahead of time. I'm thinking, huh? No turkey, no gravy, right? Here is what this chef did.

Get two or three turkey wings. Many grocery stores sell them this time of year.
Chop up a medium onion, a stick or two of celery and a carrot.

Place the vegetables in a shallow pan and drizzle with a bit of oil. Place the turkey wings on top and roast at 400° for 45 minutes to an hour. The veggies should be starting to get nice and caramelized. Place the roasted wings and the veggies in a large pot. Add a little water to to roasting pan to deglaze and add that to the pot. Add some fresh herbs like rosemary and a garlic clove if you like. Then add about 4 cups of water to the wings and veggies and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover partially and cook for 3 hours or so. Every now and then, skim as much of the fat from the top as possible and save it. Everything should be mushy and falling apart. Strain the broth and reserve. In the same pot melt two or three tablespoons of butter and add the turkey fat. The fat should be about 6 to 8 Tablespoons. Then add 6 to 8 Tablespoons of flour to the fats - the fats and flour should be roughly equal. Cook together for a couple of minutes and then slowly stir in about 1 cup of the reserved broth. Stir well and then slowly add the rest of the broth. Add salt, pepper and any other seasonings you like. If it's too thick, add a bit of chicken broth or water; if it's too thin, slowly cook for another 5 minutes to get the consistency you like.

Cool and put in the refrigerator for Thanksgiving day. Voila! Gravy done so you can concentrate on the rest of the meal!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:33 pm

That is a good idea for those doing the soup to nuts meal. My gravy is going to be cooked by the restaurant. :D
There's no such thing as too many books!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:03 pm

That also sounds like an excellent plan! I actually enjoy doing the whole soup to nuts thing!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Carmilla
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Carmilla » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:10 am

I hope you can enjoy this Italian sauce, even if it's not meant for turkey :)

Pesto (means pestled) alla Genovese

This is a typical recipe from Liguria, a northern region of Italy. I should say “one” of the most typical recipes, because it looks like every family has a secret one of its own.
The difference is not much regarding components, which more or less are the same (someone use different sorts of cheese or nuts instead of pinoles), but in the sequence of actions that –they say - can produce different results.
As I have no relatives in Liguria, I copied a recipe from a very reliable book that belonged to my grandmother.
The main component is basil, and the best way to use this scented sauce is to season spaghetti (not exactly spaghetti, but a sort of flat noodles called “trenette” – see photo), but you can use it as well to season any other Pasta shapes and even boiled meats.
It is a bit hard-working to realize but delicious to eat, if you like basil of course.

Components for 4-5 persons:
70 gr basil leaves. The best, fragrant basil you can find.
30 gr pinoles (pine nuts / pine seeds / pine kernels). Weighted without nutshell.
60 gr Parmesan cheese (I think it’s imported in any country)
20 gr Pecorino cheese from Sardinia (if you can’t find it you can add some more Parmesan)
1 or 2 garlic cloves, as you prefer.
10 gr coarse salt
60-80 gr oil. The best oil you can find, extra virgin olive oil.
------------
Wash the basil leaves and leave them to dry on a dishcloth without rubbing them.
Now you need a mortar and a pestle. You can use a marble o a wooden one, but you shouldn’t use metal tools or a blender/mixer, at least that should make the difference!
Put the garlic and the pine nuts in the mortar and pestle them together until creamy.
Then add grains of salt and basil leaves; but don’t press them, eventually add them repeatedly, and pestle the mix with a soft revolving movement, until the basil releases a green moisture.
At that time add the grated cheese and go on pestling. In the end add the olive oil, drop by drop. It has to look as a smooth cream, perfectly amalgamated.
That’s all.

The best wine to drink with a dish of Pasta with pesto is a light, fresh white wine, about 11°, as Vermentino or Grechetto.
Enjoy :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A poet once said, 'The whole universe is in a glass of wine.' (...)"
Richard P. Feynman
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:49 am

Now I have something to do with my bushels of basil next summer! I will definitely try this when our German relatives are here visiting... they love Italian food. Thank you, Carmilla!
Carmilla
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Carmilla » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:13 am

You are welcome draclvr!
I wish you the greatest success! :D
Richard P. Feynman
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Mmmm! It sounds delicious, Carmilla!
There's no such thing as too many books!
Carmilla
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Carmilla » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:10 am

I'm glad you find it attractive LadyKestrel :D

A tip everyone: if you like a lot garlic you can add up to 3 cloves, but no other changes... the other components must remain balanced as stated by the recipe.
Richard P. Feynman
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:12 am

I'm sure there is such a thing as too much garlic, but I haven't seen it yet! I grow my own garlic and use LOTS of it.
Carmilla
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Carmilla » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:40 am

draclvr wrote:I'm sure there is such a thing as too much garlic, but I haven't seen it yet!

:lol: Nor have I draclvr!!! I LOVE garlic! I can't grow it myself, because I have a very little balcony in my house where I can grow just herbs, as basil, persil and few more, and my beloved chili peppers (I got some Naga Morich this year!), so, when it's the right time of the year I buy some very long "plaits" with many heads of garlic and keep them hanged in my kitchen.

I have got something that you'd like... a little garlic shaped ceramic backing pan meant to contain garlic cloves with peel and to be put in the oven to make them cook until the peels contain just a delicious garlic cream that you can taste with toasted bread or use to season meat or vegetable dishes! It's pure ecstasy :drunken:
Richard P. Feynman
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:28 am

We call it roasted garlic and I have often referred to it as "food of the gods!" Sometimes I roast an entire large head of garlic and put it in mashed potatoes with lots of butter and cream. Yummy! This is my garlic harvest from a couple of years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carmilla
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Carmilla » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:17 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh :shock: Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you live draclrv? It's the home of my dreams!
This is my little garlic oven, and my garlic plait looks so miserable compared to your luxuriance :lol:
I confess, sometimes I like to "dart" my food of the gods directly in my mouth squeezing the roasted clovers...
Richard P. Feynman
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:57 am

I live in eastern Missouri in the central part of the US. In the picture, they are hanging in my barn to cure. I usually get about twenty pounds of cleaned garlic bulbs. I also make the best garlic powder in the world! My friend and family love me because I give a lot of it away.

After I grind it up in the food processor with a bit of wine, I dehydrate it and grind into powder or granules.
Carmilla
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Carmilla » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:36 am

Wow, fantastic! And you grind garlic with Pinot Grigio :)
I'm sure that your friends and relatives have many reasons to love you draclvr, but your best garlic powder in the world is certainly another good one! :D
Thanks for the beautiful pictures :D
Richard P. Feynman
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:00 pm

OK. How can you go wrong with a recipe called "Boozy Chocolate Hazelnut and Orange Truffles"? I'm going to post the link because I just like reading the little newsletters I get from a website called Nourished Kitchen. I haven't made them, but they are definitely on my list!

Boozy Chocolate Hazelnut and Orange Truffles

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”