The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:30 am

When I was in college (um... like 40 years ago!) we made what we called Sh_t Pot Casserole. A can of Spaghettios with meatballs and a can of pork and beans. Mix it all up and heat or eat cold. Cheap. Actually sorta good!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
junebug
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby junebug » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:19 pm

Way TOO funny!! Thanks for the laugh :lol: :lol:

Oh, and thanks for sharing that recipe!! I'll forward it to my son--who's in college now. Wonder what they're cookin nowadays.
junebug
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby junebug » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:26 pm

On second thought, I don't want to know....
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Probably for the best, dear! :lol:
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Corned beef and cabbage

Postby Winfrey » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:22 pm

Any of you have a great Corned beef and cabbage reciept you care to share?
:cool:
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:53 pm

If you mean the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage, here is how I do mine. I use the KISS method (keep it simple stupid).

Instead of covering with water and boiling on top of the stove, I put it in a big covered roaster with about 3 inches of water and roast with the lid on (I think technically that's braising) at 325 degrees F for about 4 - 5 hours. I turn it over a couple of times and let the water reduce to about 2 inches. Add more if necessary. About 1 hour before it's done, I add a bunch of carrots cut in chunks. About 45 minutes before it's done I add a whole cabbage cut into 8 wedges and a bunch of peeled potatoes. When all the veggies are nice and tender, put the whole mess on a big platter and after straining, put the liquid out for each person to ladle on their platefull of goodies.

The reason I do it in a great big roaster is the veggies taste so much better after simmering in the corned beef liquid. Add a big dollop of horseradish to make your eyeballs sweat and you will be in heaven!
Last edited by draclvr on Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:15 pm

Drac, that sounds so much better than the boiling way, which is what I have always done. Tastes good, but the veggies tend to get mushy. Cabbbage I like cooked underdone, so I probably would put it in even later. I was thinking around St Paddys that maybe the slow cooker would work, but since the kids don't care for the meat, I didn't even bother. I was too lazy to cook something different for them. I should have picked up a package when it was so cheap, dumb me.

Does anyone know what do do with lots of fresh brocoli and cabbage. This farmer keeps piling vegetables on us, he is trying to impress my daughter, but he is too old, little and annoying for her. I have done many types of stirfry for the brocoli, of course steamed it and raw. How do you prep it to freeze? Cabbage I can only do so much with, coleslaw and cook in dishes, but what else beside sauerkraut and I don't can. He also gives us romaine, green leaf lettuce and other types of chinese cabbages. My fridge is getting way to full of veggies. Help!!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Fresh broccoli is so easy to freeze. Cut it up the way you like to serve it. Blanch by dropping into boiling water for about 2 minutes. Take it out and immediately put into a sink full of cold water. If you are doing a bunch, you can add a bunch of ice cubes to keep the water cold. This stops the cooking quickly. Drain VERY thoroughly and put into Zip Loc type bags and pop into the freezer. I just fixed broccoli in cheese sauce with broccoli hubby froze last summer. It tastes darn near as good as straight out of the garden. It should last about a year.

My mom shreds cabbage and just puts it into Zip Locs and freezes it like that. I haven't tried it, but I think it might lose some of it's crunchiness. Have you tried fried cabbage? Shred it and slowly saute in a bit of butter or margarine or olive oil. It needs to start getting a bit brown to really get the good fried cabbage flavor. Add a minced garlic (got that garlic twister!) and saute for another minute or so. They add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Who needs meat! I could eat this all by itself. If you want to get fancy, add some slivered almonds too.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:18 am

So that is how you blanch the broccoli, I got it cut up this afternoon and stuffed two gallon ziploc bags. It still looks great, no yellow, he gave this batch to us last Saturday. The three heads of cabbage I had to trim down as the outer leaves were starting to look nasty. One of my easy fav recipes is to brown lot of sweet onion, then add drained tuna, salt and pepper and then the cabbage, sliced, then cooked til the cabbage loses it rawness but is still crunchy. I also use it alot in Filipino style soups, easy to make, but we all get sick of them. I think I will try the plain style fried cabbage as a side dish. He also gave us these huge bottles of Korean Kim Chee, which is a spicy appetizer to eat with meals. One of celery (I forgot he gave us celery too), one of won bok (chinese cabbage) and one of head cabbage. These are huge jars and starting to sour already, I love Kim Chee, but it is hot with chilis and one can only eat so much with a meal.

Part of the problem is we are receiving these veggies weekly and the growing season is year round over here so there is no point in trying to store them, except maybe for the broccoli, which we love. The farmer said throw them away, he will give up new ones, arrghh!!! We paid a visit to the farm, he has twenty acres in one area, ten in another and his brother has another twenty. He is constantly planting new crops, he does export his stuff to Oahu and some of the local stores.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:57 am

My goodness! Is there not a food pantry somewhere you could take the excess? I hate throwing away perfectly good veggies too!

Check the internet for some really great recipes for cabbage with sausages as a one dish meal. Can't find mine anymore!
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:39 am

thanks Draclvr- that's exactly what I was looking for- yours sounds better than the boiling too- I will give it a try :D :D
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:10 pm

trudysgarden wrote:Sandy - I just started reading this thread and realized I make that chicken dish once in awhile - it's really simple.

In a glass baking dish I dump in some boneless chicken breasts.

On top of that I add a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup and 1/2 Cup of sour cream. Then I dump a box of StoveTop (chicken flavor) on top of the whole mess and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. That's it.

happy trails,

Carolyn

:D Hi Carolyn!! My hubby LOVED this recipe!!!! He said to be sure and thank you for it!! It came out great!!! Very filling, and I can get two dinners out of it too!! Thank you so much!!!
Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Postby Sophie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Sandy, can you please tell me, what is Stove Top ?

In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:03 pm

Sophie, Stove Top Stuffing is a pre-packaged stuffing mix. It has cubes of dried bread and a seasoning mix in the package. They have seasoning mixes for chicken and pork and other flavors. You toss it in a pot with water and a bit of butter or margarine and simmer for awhile to make instant stuffing. If you have nothing like that where you are, you could make some of your own home-made and put it on the top and have the same result.
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Maid Of Mystery » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:39 am

draclvr wrote:This my favorite way - it's the proverbial pot roast that every wife served on Sunday in the 50's and 60's. I use a nice big chuck roast and you will need a fairly big roaster and about 3 hours. I have an ancient old blue speckled one I use.

Brown the roast in a skillet on both sides with a little salt and pepper. This is not to cook it, just to get a nice brown on it. Put the roast in the roaster and put about 1 cup of water in the skillet and simmer for a few seconds to remove all the goodies and brown bits. Pour over the roast. If you don't have a big enough skillet you can skip this step. I just think it helps with that awesome gravy you get at the end.

While the roast is browning, chop up a medium onion. Put the onion in the roaster with meat and put into a 325 degree oven. After about an hour I add a bunch of peeled carrots cut into chunks. Always check for liquid. You don't want it to go dry, but you don't want it swimming in liquid either. After 1 1/2 to 2 hours peel a bunch of potatoes and add to the roaster pushing them down into the liquid if you can. Add a bit of water if you need to at this point. Roast for another 1/2 hour or until the potatoes are done.

Add water to the pan after you take the roast and veggies out - like maybe 1 cup - 2 cups. Mix up two or three tablespoons of corn starch in water and slowly add to the gravy stirring constantly until it thickens to the consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Now I'm hungry!

Today, I'm making this one!!! Only I'm using a pork roast instead of roast beef!! Thanks again Draclvr!!!!!
Question out to the floor-
How do I store the left overs if I do not make a gravy?? I mean without the meat getting dried out. I LOVE gravy but sometimes my guys do not want it. They like it with roast beef but not pork roast.

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”