The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:37 pm

Phew!!!!! That's a relief!!! :D

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Phew - Glad I cleared that issue up , lol
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:33 pm

Me too!

Do a Google search on "bbq temperature fork" and you will get a ton of hits. I first got one as a joke for hubby because he is... well, he's technologically challenged! But he decided to use it one day while was grilling something and now he won't be without one in the house. I even use it to be sure my meat loaf is all the way done in the middle.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:54 pm

How long will a cake mix last? unopened in the box? I made a lemon Bundt today, but I had the box for a while. Anyway it came out flat! This has never happened to me before and I was wondering why? Couldit be that the cake mix was to old? I am off to bake another.

Angelfire
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Angelfire » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Baking powder, which makes the cake rise, lasts about a year (I think) so cake mixes can be too old! :roll:

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Wed May 16, 2007 7:48 am

This isn't a recipe, but I need some advice. Does anyone know what to do to keep cold cuts from going bad?? It seems that no matter how well I wrap them up in plastic wrap, and then in zip-lock baggies, they still go bad so quickly. I need them to last a week, for lunches. It seems if we do not eat them in a few days, they get that nasty, funky smell, then right into the garbage it goes!
What do you guys do?? :D

Fairygdmther
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Fairygdmther » Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 am

I take half and tightly wrap and freeze it. Then when the first half is used up, the second half will still be fresh.

Something I've discovered with freezing recently - take the lunch meat - take the part to be frozen and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then put it in a ziplock bag, and squeeze all the air out before sealing. Or put it in a sandwich bag then put all your 'freezer halfs' in one larger baggie before freezing. Since I've started double wrapping meats, I haven't had a single piece get freezer burn, and the freezer doesn't smell like foods.

With hot dogs, or sausages, I use the snackfood size baggies, and seal 2 hotdogs at a time in one, then take all the little baggies, and put them in a larger one before freezing. Then you can take out as many as you need, and they are fresh, and not all stuck together.

Does this use a lot of baggies? Yes, but I reuse the outer ones. And the savings in food makes it worth it.

With sliced luncheon cheeses, that you can't freeze, I kinda do the same thing. I take half and rewrap it and put it in the back of my luncheon meat drawer. Then, when the first half is used, the second half is still pretty fresh, since it hasn't been opened to air as much. Cheese keeps better than the lunch meats anyway.

M

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Wed May 16, 2007 4:13 pm

:D Thank you FGM!!! Okay, I will give that a try! I have to wait until friday because that's the next grocery shopping day! Sounds great!! :D
Thanks Much!!
Sandy :D

GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by GreyFuss » Wed May 16, 2007 4:23 pm

MOM
My advice would be.........don't buy any and avoid the nasty funky smell of a slow death.

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Wed May 16, 2007 4:24 pm

LOL!!! Hi GreyFuss!!! It's for my hubby and our son, I truely do not eat it. I do like Ham though!! :D

GreyFuss
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by GreyFuss » Wed May 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Good plan. That life insurance policy won't mature for another ten years. :cool:

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Wed May 16, 2007 4:33 pm

LOL!!!!! :D So glad your here!!!! :D

Maid Of Mystery
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by Maid Of Mystery » Fri May 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Hi FGM!! :D Okay, Went grocery shopping today, bought LOT's of frezzer bags ( Zip-locks ) and put half the cold cuts in the freezer and half in the fridge. I bagged them seperately and then put all of the baggies in the bigger one! Thanks for your helpful tips!!! :D

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:09 pm

I made this last night and it is rather tasty. I used three pounds of hamburger and taco mix, but reserved 1/3 for tacos.

Mexican Lasagna

3 lbs. hamburger
3 pkg taco mix (mild, regular or hot, I use mild cause of the kids and me)
1 pkg enchilada mix (mixed with one can tomato sauce and 1 1/2 C water
(could substitute canned enchilada sauce)
1 pkg (or more, depending on how meaty you like it) flat crisp tostada shell or you can fry your own strips, or use packaged chips
shredded mexican mix or cheddar cheese
1 can ripe olives, sliced.

Fry the 3 lbs hamburger, smashing into as small of pieces as you can, add in the 3 pkgs taco mix and whatever amount of water is required per each package. Cook together for about 15 minutes. Reconstitute the enchilda sauce pkg with the tomato sauce and water in a separate pan.

Remove out 1/3 of the mix for tacos, or leave it in and make an even bigger pan, using more tortillas of course. The enchilada sauce won't stretch that far, but don't worry about it.

Ok, now start layering, a little of the enchilada sauce, then the taco meat mixture, then a layer of tortillas, broken to fit. Then enchilada sauce, taco meat, cheese, tortillas, keep layering adding as many of the tortillas as you want, ending with cheese. I topped the whole thing with some nacho cheese tortilla rounds, more cheese and all of the ripe olives. You can also mix the olives into the layers, but picky kids don't like this.

Bake in the oven, covered with foil (don't pile the cheese too high or it will stick to the foil and get wasted) 325 until heated through, maybe 45 minutes. It can sit or can be made ahead, refrigerated and baked later. Of course if it is cold it will take longer in the oven.

Serve with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce, sour cream on top and whatever salsa or taco sauce you like. If you put hot sauce, then it will spice it up or if you like really hot, add dried peppers.

This is really easy to make, just keep the taco meat moist so it doesn't get too dry. You can also add refried beans to the layers if you like them. The original recipe I got from a host on HSN, she didn't use the enchilada sauce but I found that the dish was too dry that way, so last night experimented with the added enchilada sauce.

Sophie
Ghastly Goblin
Ghastly Goblin

Post by Sophie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:34 pm

That sounds great Hawka. From the amount of ingredients I should
think that would make quite a few servings and would be ideal to include
at a BBQ party.

In the end, it doesn't matter how many breaths you take, but how many moments took your breath away...Anonymous