Stopping and starting games

Talk about anything related to Adventure games. Upcoming releases, news, or just your opinion. What you liked or didn't like about the games you have played.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Stopping and starting games

Postby Kickaha » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:11 pm

When you play games do you start playing and only stop when you've finished? Or do you sometimes start playing, then stop for a while and pick up the game again later?

I do have pauses between playing of sometimes a week or more.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Stopping and starting games

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:05 pm

I've done both. The problem for me with picking the game up later is that is can never remember what I've done before! So if I can, I try to keep less than a day between saving and playing again.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stiler
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby Stiler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 am

I used to stick to a game and finish it, but as I have gotten older I find myself getting more and more sidetracked by other games and losing interest in some I haven't finished yet. MY steam backlog is a bit insane.

The few games that I find myself sticking with these days are games like Soma/Gone Home/etc that focus more on the narratives and aren't too long in the first place.

Games like huge open world rpgs/action games though, even though I love them I often hardly finish them before moving to a new game and saying "I'll come back someday..."
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:56 am

No, I hardly ever play a game from start to finish in one session these days. I normally start a game, and play it in "chunks" until I have finished it - and then I move on to othe next one - but we are all different I guess!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 am

Soma was one I couldn't get enough of and played it for hours at a time. My Steam library is pretty much played right now, but I think I have a couple in there! Combined with my GOG library, it might be more than that.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:10 pm

I play until I get stuck, then take a break. I've been playing Leaves almost non-stop, and when I close my eyes I see little arrows!
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 pm

I tend not to start a game unless I feel I can finish it without too many interruptions over the course of a week or two. I hate to quit out of a game when I'm really immersed in the story, but I will stop when I enter a new area or if I'm stuck on a puzzle. Coming back a day or two later is not a problem, but I don't like to leave it for too long or I'll forget what I'm doing.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:27 am

I can't leave a game for very long as my memory has gotten so bad and I totally forget where I was at. I started Night of the Rabbit a long time ago and even though I loved the game, I stopped playing and now I have totally forgotten was I was supposed to do so I will have to start it from the beginning. I also started Nelly Cootalot and can't remember a thing of what I am supposed to do so I will have to start that from the beginning too. argh. getting old.

and now I will be heading for Florida for 3 months so I won't get to play my games so I might as well not start playing them again at this time.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Kickaha wrote:When you play games do you start playing and only stop when you've finished?
Or do you sometimes start playing, then stop for a while and pick up the game again later?

I do have pauses between playing of sometimes a week or more.

I'd have forgotten the game by then.
If a game is short, like a casual, I'll finish it in one sitting.
If it's longer, I try not to leave more than a day between play sessions.
Otherwise I forget too much.

I can't do "episodic" games because I forget too much between episodes.
I have to wait until all episodes are out before playing.
Unfortunately the episodes in "episodic" games don't always mesh together into a unified whole,
so episodics are rarely as good as games designed to be a single game.

Return to “Adventure Game Discussions”