Dear Esther Live

Talk about anything related to Adventure games. Upcoming releases, news, or just your opinion. What you liked or didn't like about the games you have played.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Dear Esther Live

Postby Kickaha » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Whether or not you consider "Dear Esther" a game I was just struck by there being such a show at all - https://www.cambridgelivetrust.co.uk/cornex/events/dear-esther-live.

I'm a philistine I know as I'm not rushing to go and see this.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Dear Esther Live

Postby draclvr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Wow, Kickaha. I'm also impressed there is a show about this. Not familiar with Dear Esther, but I did some research and I'm not sure if I would call it a game either. Interesting.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Dear Esther Live

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:25 pm

I played the original game, and it's very moving. As you explore the island, you get bits of narration in the form of poignant letters to Esther. It's more of an unfolding story than a game, but you do have a goal, which you can see from the beginning of the game. I recommend it highly, but I'm not sure it will work in any other kind of media. On the computer, it's very intimate, which may not work elsewhere.
Winter is an etching, spring is a watercolor, summer is an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. -Stanley Horowitz

Return to “Adventure Game Discussions”