Fan Remake of “Mansion of Hidden Souls” from the Sega CD era

Talk about anything related to Adventure games. Upcoming releases, news, or just your opinion. What you liked or didn't like about the games you have played.
jesblood
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Fan Remake of “Mansion of Hidden Souls” from the Sega CD era

Postby jesblood » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi all!

My team and I are considering doing a small mini development as practice for our own future development project.

Some of us are huge adventure fans and considered doing a RealTime 3D version of “Mansion of Hidden Souls” from the Sega CD era. It’s a small game and would really suit our purposes for practice.

However we’d really like to pick a potential remake project other people would be interested in playing after we’re done.

So basically my question is, “Is anyone interested?”

Thanks for your answers. Really helps us out.

Summary:

Hidden Souls is an FMV adventure game that features a wonderfully orchestrated sound track by Yuji Nomi. This Sega sleeper characterizes mysterious butterflies secluded in a Mansion in the middle of nowhere; who guide your character Jonathan through its surreal interiors to save your sister from her (and your own) doomed fate of becoming hidden for eternity.

https://youtu.be/XfbHgziSTlU
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Re: Fan Remake of “Mansion of Hidden Souls” from the Sega CD era

Postby LadyKestrel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi, Jesblood, and welcome to Mystery Manor!

This looks like an interesting project, although full-motion video means live actors to me, such as the Tex Murphy games. For such an old game, the ability to move around in 3D is neat. For what platform would you be making the game? I play on a Mac, so I probably wouldn't get a chance to play it, but I wish you well with it.
It's not hoarding if it's books, games, rubber stamps or chocolate.
jesblood
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby jesblood » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Well since it’s a fan remake and we don’t own the IP we will probably post it on our website as a downloadable executable for PC. We will be building the remake in Unity 2018 so we should be able to push it out for Mac as well.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:30 pm

This sounds quite intriguing... I've never heard of the game, so definitely will see if I can check it out.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
jesblood
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby jesblood » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks Draclvr. Really appreciate it. Please let others know so we can determine if it’s worth finishing as we have already done a quick test of just one of the environments, namely the Foyer area of the Mansion.

Will be posting a link to that shortly.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:11 am

Have you also posted over at the Gameboomers gaming website? If not, you should. They have a lot more members there.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
jesblood
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby jesblood » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 am

Oh? No we haven’t. Didn’t know it was a good place to advertise our efforts. We’ll go take a look. Thanks for the suggestion Draclvr
jesblood
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby jesblood » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Ok really confused. Have tried several times to use the YouTube embedded script for this forum to post our little YouTube example of the Foyer of the Mansion. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it to work so I'm just going to post the link below. This is strictly a GreyBox test of Unity for attempting the concept. Please click it and check out our vid. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/poUGDbClg2E
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Yes, the link will work the best. Off to check it out!
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:28 am

I'm intrigued that you consider this a small mini project - but it does look like something I'd enjoy playing if I ever had time!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:22 am

jesblood posted a short video showing how the original game looks compared to their work on improving the graphics over at Gameboomers. It's pretty amazing what they're done.

Return to “Adventure Game Discussions”