Recommendations

Talk about anything related to Adventure games. Upcoming releases, news, or just your opinion. What you liked or didn't like about the games you have played.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor

Recommendations

Post by Ghostlady » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:27 pm

Can anyone recommend a newer adventure game with a spooky/creepy house and not too much walking around? Some fun puzzles and interesting backdrops?
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Recommendations

Post by draclvr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:36 am

I really enjoyed Goetia. You play as a ghost and there are many creepy scenes. It's a bit off the beaten path, but was fun. I definitely needed a walkthrough a few times!

https://www.gog.com/game/goetia

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was definitely a very creepy game. It's not set inside a house, but you do play some scenes in abandoned creepy places. You need a good video card to take advantage of the gorgeous graphics. I actually wrote a review of it here at MM.

http://www.mysterymanor.net/forum/viewt ... 13&t=12211

https://www.gog.com/game/the_vanishing_of_ethan_carter
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:56 am

I just loved Draugen - gorgeous graphics too and a sense of being scared but not actually being scared. Maybe too tame for you, GL, but there are many creepy and abandoned houses/churches/mines to explore. Was sorry when it was all over - could have explored for many more hours. Iris Fall was clever and absorbing too.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 am

I will have to look into Draugen, Val. I've heard good things about it. I'm always interested in anything Norwegian!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 am

Wonderful graphics - first game I played with my new graphic card and it blew me away. Enjoyed the game too!!! :)

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Just purchased and downloaded! With tomatoes and weeding winding down, I need a new game. Thank you for the recommendation, Val!

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:29 am

Enjoy!! :)

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:24 am

Where did you both get Draugen from? Steam?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:11 am

Steam RB.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:48 am

Lol, I havent paid that much for a game in a long time - I am obviously a cheapskate ha ha!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:34 am

I got mine from GOG, RB. I prefer using them if I can.

This game REALLY reminds me of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I finally got through Day 2! Thought I was stuck, but I had neglected to check out a window in the General Store and I need to talk to Alice more.

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:29 am

Yes I thought that too, Drac! My type of game. Also loved Syberia 3 although the controls took some getting used to. Can't wait for S4 to come out!! :)

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:32 am

RB everything here is expensive but I check all recommendations and reviews before I buy! Am so chuffed I am able to play decent games again with my new graphics card and extra hard drive. Almost every good new game for years now has been totally out of question.
And Drac - loved the Alice character!! Little minx!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:10 am

I'm really liking how the story is developing. I must say if anyone is looking for old fashioned point and click type games, they are getting very hard to find.

Ghostlady, although it doesn't have a creepy house, if you want the good old point and click type, Barrow Hill The Ancient Circle and Barrow Hill The Dark Path are just excellent. Matt Clark is a master at these games. Both are set in Cornwall, England.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Val, if you liked Draugen, you will also probably like Through the Woods which is classified as Horror Adventure. It's also set in Norway and features a mother searching for her son in the Norwegian forests. Liked this one so much I played it twice in a row! More beautiful graphics and a great story.

https://www.gog.com/game/through_the_woods