Recommendations

Talk about anything related to Adventure games. Upcoming releases, news, or just your opinion. What you liked or didn't like about the games you have played.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Recommendations

Post by draclvr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:42 pm

Well, I am NOT going to recommend Draugen! But not because I didn't love the game - I did. But $20 for maybe 2 - 3 hours of gameplay? And no solving of the mystery in the mine? No pulling together the Draugen Norwegian mythology with the storyline? No resolution of the dead bodies? The one mystery solved was pretty predictable and I was REALLY wanting to find out more about the other things. Nope. Just left too many things hanging for a full priced game.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:34 am

Thanks Drac will check it out!

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:39 am

I have just bought both Barrow Hill games for just £3.30 - Much better value than Draugen lol! :dance :dance :dance
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:48 am

The Barrow Hill games are a good creepy choice - especially if you like the ancient Cornwall type of scariness! Games that are that old are always going to be cheaper! I don't mind paying $20 for a new game, but I sure want to have more than 2 - 3 hours of gameplay!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Post by Val » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:20 am

Sorry Drac - should have remembered the disappointing length of the game but I enjoyed it so much and plan to replay it again after awhile.
Played the first Barrow Hill game but found it too dark (as in light) for me. Seemed to go around in circles because of it and gave up half way through.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:31 am

The second Barrow Hill was even worse about going round and round. But it was mostly because of the horrid point and click interface. I've learned to hate it after getting used to being free to go where I want in the newer games!

I really did love Draugen and will look forward to more or Edward and Alice. But they've got to do better with the story resolutions and gameplay time. They could have delved into the mystery in the mine much deeper - I was REALLY looking forward to that. And to not resolve what happened to all the townspeople? C'mon! There was so much more to flesh out here and make this into a really stellar game. Much as I loved so much about it, in the end I just felt cheated of the story I was just getting into.

LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Post by LadyKestrel » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:39 pm

You might like Gorogoa. Adventure Tref has quite a few screenshots: http://www.adventure-treff.de/spiele-da ... 67-gorogoa

A creepy one is Tormentum: Dark Sorrow.
Sorry, Santa! I meant to behave, but there were too many options.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Tormentum was definitely a creepy one... I think there was even a sequel! I've heard good things ab out Gorogoa from others too.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:34 am

Maybe it's not a creepy house, but it IS a creepy museum! Flotsam over at GB just gave a "first look" review of Song of Horror and this one looks pretty scary! To be released October 31st.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096 ... OF_HORROR/

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Post by Sneaker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Heared some really interesting things about Song of Horror as well. Sounds very interesting and unique and looks pretty scary. It's episodic though.

I'm waiting anxiously for Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch. Although that would be more action orientated, ghost catching with puzzles, I hope. But I can't say no to a ghost adventure with the better Mario brother ;). Looks gorgeous, just like the other two installments and Nintendo makes sure it's as charming as possible. Can't wait.

I'm also liking Without Escape on 3DS, but it's also on Steam. I bought it kind of blind on 3DS because it was cheap and new and I really liked the style. But then discovered it was also on Steam, also very cheap. Looks really impressive on the small screen of my 3DS though. But might rebuy it on Steam if I finish it and like it at the end.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Moderator @ Adventure-Island.nl

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks for recommending Song of Horror... I've been reading good things about it too.