Ready Player One

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Ready Player One

Postby Kickaha » Sun May 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Having seen the recent film I thought I would read the book - and rather different it is. The strength of the book (for me) is how chock full of 1980s references it is, it reads at times like a collection of lists. It’s not something I’m going to reread. I was fascinated by how the film has seemingly chopped the book up into little pieces, taken some of them, and re-arranged them not necessarily in the same order adding some extra pieces on the way. It’s a book which has volumes to say about its author.

Personally I prefer the film.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Ready Player One

Postby draclvr » Sun May 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Don't think I've heard of either the movie or the book.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 am

I read the book, it was a fun read but not one I would tell people they needed to read... doubt I will go see the movie.
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby skeeter » Wed May 23, 2018 11:59 pm

Interesting... I saw the movie and really liked it.
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Wed May 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Have you read the book Skeeter?
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm

I read the book quite some time ago and enjoyed it. Watching movies made from a book I've read is not always a good experience for me as I can't seem to help picking up on plot or characters they've got wrong. And generally commenting on same which drives other people nuts. So, I haven't made up my mind whether or not to subject my nearest and dearest (Brian) to this movie or not!
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby skeeter » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 am

Nope Kickaha, I didn't know there was one... I usually end up seeing the movie before reading the book - either because I liked the movie and looked up the book, or because I'd been meaning to read the book but didn't get it done before a movie came out. Exceptions I can think of are Harry Potter and The Orient Express, and I enjoyed those movies.
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett

Return to “Book Discussions”