Look what the cat brought in

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor

Look what the cat brought in

Post by Ghostlady » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi all, haven't been around for quite awhile. I've been doing so many different things in my life, work being very very busy and stressful. Looking forward to reading again (been more than a year since I've finished a book) and maybe playing some computer games again. I started reading The Far Pavilions by M M Kaye. Over 1000 bible pages. It was on my bucket list. The author had lived in India for a big portion of her life and it took here 15 years to write the book. I stayed away from Kindle but for this book I broke down and bought one. Still not a fan. Anyways, the story was really really good but after 600 pages I couldn't take it anymore. Too much Indian tribal wars and descriptions. So I went back to one of my favorites, Lucinda Riley and enjoying The Seven Sisters. What are you all reading? :study:
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Look what the cat brought in

Post by draclvr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:05 am

It's great to see you back! And speaking of backs, how is yours?

My great bliss since I retired 10 years ago this summer is being able to read all I want! While there is nothing to compare to the feel and smell of real pages, I have gone to the Kindle app on my Surface tablet and even on my desktop. It's easier to read and I love the "instant gratification!" I have a subscription to Kindle unlimited since I go through so many books every month.

Right now, I'm into survival stories. Some have even ventured into zombie apocolypse territory! I couldn't get enough of the Slow Burn series by Bobby Adair. I'm also loving another series by Bobby Adair called Dusty's Diary. I don't think I've laughed this hard while reading a zombie apocolypse book! I can't wait for the next book.

The Lethal Seasons books by Alice Sabo were also really good. A virus and climate change have destroyed the world and the books follow some of the survivors.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:26 am

Same here Drac - pre-retirement I never had the time or energy to read any books - and being an insomniac, I get through several books a week and I am also with Kindle Unlimited!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Jude » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 am

Welcome back, Ghostlady. :)

I've been a compulsive reader since I learned to read! Lately, I've mostly been reading mysteries, science fiction, and vampire stories.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;