Question re. MacMail

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Question re. MacMail

Postby LadyKestrel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:52 pm

I have been using MacMail for a while now in iOS 10.10, but I still can't figure out how to delete messages without them automatically opening first. Is there a setting I'm missing? I can go to my internet provider (Comcast/Xfinity) and delete messages in my account there that I don't want to open, but it's a couple of extra steps.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Re: Question re. MacMail

Postby middletoe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:37 am

Do any of the suggestions here help?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4867170?tstart=0
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 am

Exactly the link I found and was going to post! Thanks, middletoe!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Yes, right clicking does work, so thank you for the suggestion. I was hoping for a less tedious option like an automatic setting similar to the one I had in Eudora, but I didn't find one in Pogue's Missing Manual for my OS nor in my help menu. I was just hoping I had overlooked it, as I am wont to do.
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:37 pm

That would be so annoying - I use an ancient, no longer supported version of Windows Live Mail and it's dead easy to make this setting in the menu options. You'd think MacMail would make it easier for you!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Sorry missed this thread until now - are we talking about iOS or MacOS? I’m assuming it’s MacOS from the right click mention. Glad you got sorted Lady K!

I’m putting off upgrading to High Sierra so I’m on MacOS 10.12.6 currently. But I use my iPad for emailing.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Aren't they calling any Mac computer iOS now? I'm using an iMac with Yosemite (10.10). Are you aware of any settings that would turn off automatic email opening, Kickaha?
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:22 pm

No iOS is for iPads and iPhones, MacOS is for Macs. The operating systems are converging to some extent but they’re different beasts. I’m on Sierra which is 10.12 and High Sierra is just available (10.13) for my iMac. Now Middletoe’s link would have been one of my starting points so not sure I can add much. I can delete messages by right clicking on them as already mentioned. I can also delete them by using the delete key. Without opening the message.

For me on Mail on the Mac I don’t have a preview window appearing. Mail is different (worse IMHO) at Sierra.

Return to “Technical Help”