Best gaming mouse?

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Best gaming mouse?

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:08 am

Is the Razer Death Adder still the best mouse to buy? And if so which model please?

Also, as we do sometimes get mini power cuts here lasting only a few seconds, I suppose I should get a UPS? Now i have never had one of these before and know absolutely nothing about them, so can someone please recommend one for me, preferably from www.ebay.co.uk, thanks.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Best gaming mouse?

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:20 am

The only gaming mouse I have any experience with is the Death Adder. Do you not want to use your Death Adder any more?

Since you don't do any Dark Side gaming, really any good quality mouse would be fine. This is a link to Logitech mice with the gaming mice with a gazillion buttons on them in another link towards the bottom. I have one of their touch mice made for use with Windows 8, but I really don't care for it. It's very fast and feels wonderful in the hand, but the scrolling is not very responsive. I've tried to change the settings but it just doesn't seem to help. Other people give it rave reviews.

Logitech Mice

Razer Mice

A UPS is a very good idea, but I don't have one either. I would go to Ebay and look at what they have to offer... my favorite way to get a feel for something is to read the user reviews.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:11 am

Rosaboobie wrote:Also, as we do sometimes get mini power cuts here lasting only a few seconds, I suppose I should get a UPS?

Definitely get a UPS. Otherwise you risk corruption of your operating system if the power cuts out while Windows is doing "housecleaning" and writing back to the hard drive. A UPS will protect you from power surges as well as dips/outages. I wouldn't be without one where I live. A laptop has its own built-in battery, so it's not prone to damage by mini-blackouts and brownouts the way a desktop is.

Now i have never had one of these before and know absolutely nothing about them, so can someone please recommend one for me, preferably from http://www.ebay.co.uk, thanks.

You don't need a really expensive UPS that lasts for hours.
It only needs enough power to last through short blackouts that last seconds -- or at least for long enough that you can turn the computer off normally if you're having a long power outage.
With LCD monitors, you don't need a powerful UPS either, because they draw much less power than the old CRT monitors.

I have one much like this, and it is OK. Mine is actually a 500 and not a 650.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC-Back-UPS- ... 4d1b0fe4e1

There is a used model for less money, however it does not include the batteries.
Watch out for that when you buy one. The Used UPS at eBay.co.uk may not include the batteries, which would have to be bought separately.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC-Back-UPS- ... 23375aec4c

I also have one similar to this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APC-Back-UPS- ... 2c7935ea23

That one tends to be easier to plug into, however the first one may fit better in your space.

Usually with a UPS, half the connections will have the battery backup and surge protection and half will only have surge protection. If you have a desk lamp or something you don't need to operate the computer, you could plug that into one of the surge protection outlets. The computer and monitor should be plugged into the outlets with battery power. Don't plug something like a printer or subwoofer into the powered outlets because they take a lot of power and will drain the battery in no time flat -- not something you'd want to happen during a power outage.

You can find these at Amazon too, though they seem a little more expensive
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... =computers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-BE550G-UK-I ... wer+supply
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:30 am

What great information... thank you, middletoe!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Thank you both for all the information. After using laptops for the past 12 years, where you dont have to worry about power cuts, I will definitely buy a UPS.

And yes Drac, I absolutely adore my Death Adder but I just thought that maybe there was something even better these days. I need an extra Death Adder for the new PC, as I will still be using the one I already have with my laptop. However when I look on Ebay, there seem to be many different Death Adder models for sale.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 pm

They don't make the old Death Adders any more and I'm not sure I like the new ones that much! Have you thought of switching your Death Adder to the new desktop and getting something like a Logitech Couch Mouse for your laptop? I love my Couch Mouse and several of my friends who like to use their laps on the couch or in bed love them too. They are made for use on surfaces like that.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:24 pm

Oh really? I will take a look at the Coach Mouse then, thanks.

Edit: It looks as though the Couch Mouse has not hit the UK yet, Drac.
Boobie
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:14 am

Well, I eventually found the Logitech Couch Mouse on Amazon, and I have ordered the M525. I read all the reviews and what really won me over was the fact that people with dogs and cats rated it highly because it has a sealed bottom where no hair can get in. Thanks for pointing me to this mouse, Drac. :cheers:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 am

Great! I love the feel of my couch mouse too. I think I've had the same batteries in it for almost 2 years.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:19 pm

So many parcels winging their way to me - cos I have also ordered the UPS :wink:
Boobie
RCB
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RCB » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 pm

I used to design some of the packaging products for American Power Conversion. It is a fantastic company and their product line-up of UPS's are the very best available.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Faust » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:20 am

Sorry to resurrect this older thread , but I felt the need to point something out . About a year or so ago , Razer made changes in Synapse (their drivers) . Now , Synapse is cloud based storage . With ANY new Razer peripheral , when plugged in for the first time , you are prompted to create a Razer account , using an email address , name , etc . , in order to download and use the drivers . Without registration , your new Razer mouse , keyboard , etc . , is little more than a very expensive plug & play peripheral . At inception , among the reasons given for the change , was that flash memory would no longer be feasible to install . Not exactly true . Flash memory is quite cheap , especially when purchased in bulk . Razer Synapse is now a unified system , for all Razer peripherals . My two cents , is that Razer Synapse is now drm . There is , to me , no justifiable reason to register a mouse & create an account , before being allowed to use my mouse to it's fullest potential . There are too many other companies , such as Logitech , Roccat , and Sentey , that all have flash memory for driver install , and are comparable in price , for me to consider getting another Razer peripheral . I should point out however that , after registraion & download , there is no need to go online with your Razer mouse again , even though the drivers run in the background , checking for updates . A Google search of Razer Synapse 2 , will yield a fair few threads corroberating what I'm posting here . If you can get a older Razer mouse or keyboard , do it . This is by no means a show of disrespect , just something that I felt needed to be pointed out .
Look around you... I am everywhere!!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Although I dearly love my Death Adder, I have to agree with Faust - I hate the Synapse cloud based storage. Not sure I'd go as far as calling it DRM, but it's definitely leaning that way.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:06 am

Oh no, I didnt realise this, Faust - thanks for pointing this out.
Boobie
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Faust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:11 am

Welcome :-)
Look around you... I am everywhere!!

Return to “Technical Help”