No internet connection on new PC!

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

No internet connection on new PC!

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 am

How frustrating - I just cant get an internet connection on this new PC. It just keeps saying limited connection because of a weak signal. So I contacted the ISP, BT, and spent a whole 2 hours with them this morning - but even they could not get me connected. They have suggested that I upgrade with a new contract and a newer Hub, so I have had no alternative but to do this.

Drac has been so patient with me whilst trying to hook up my monitor LOL. Now today I want to try and set up the sound system (with her help I hope :wink: )
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: No internet connection on new PC!

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:07 am

Bring it on, Sistah!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:34 am

Rosaboobie wrote:How frustrating - I just cant get an internet connection on this new PC. It just keeps saying limited connection because of a weak signal. So I contacted the ISP, BT, and spent a whole 2 hours with them this morning - but even they could not get me connected. They have suggested that I upgrade with a new contract and a newer Hub, so I have had no alternative but to do this.

Did it work?
If their signal to your house is too weak to be usable, they should fix it without charging you more for an "upgraded" connection. If the problem is between your router and your computer, I don't see that they could do anything on their end unless they're supplying you with a combination router/modem/switch that you have to use.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:36 am

RB, I'm sending you an email with pictures asking if you have screwed in the little antennas for your wifi adapter on the back of your computer?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Yes, I did mention to you that I had found these 3 black "rods" and I wondered if indeed they were antenna. I have screwed them in, although 2 out of 3 just carried on screwing in and screwing in whereas the 3rd one did stop being screwed in, if you can understand me LOL. But mine are just straight rods, as opposed to the photo you sent me which seemed to have "bends" in them.

middletoe, BT are the worst people in the world to deal with. They keep changing the channel on my router for me, but this never works and the signal is still low. What I can't understand is that, with this low signal, I am able to connect on all of my laptops but not with the new PC.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:24 pm

That's what many of the antennas do - they "keep" screwing in, so to speak. This allows you to adjust them to be able to point the antennas into the best direction or directions possible. I believe if you play around with them, you will find there is a bend which allows you to make exactly the best configuration of up, down, sideways, left, right etc. to get the best chance of picking up a signal. Of course, if the signal just isn't getting there to begin with because of signal strength or interference in the house, it won't help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Maybe tomorrow that Powerline will come eh?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:54 pm

I hope so! Remember, you will need two ethernet cables... one to go from your router to the Powerline device closest to it and one to go from the Powerline device you plug in closest to your desktop to the back of the computer.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 pm

You know, I used to have a really long ethernet cable in Kilifi house, but I have torn this house apart today looking for it. I have also ordered another ethernet cable, but I am sure if I keep looking, I will find a second one somewhere, or else a neighbour might have one I can borrow.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:17 pm

If things work they way they do at my house, you will fine it AFTER you have procured another one!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Oh yes, that happens to me all the time LOL - I do try to be organised but sometimes it just does not work, and it does not help that there are still unopened boxes in the garage from my Kenya container!
Boobie
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:37 pm

draclvr wrote:If things work they way they do at my house, you will find it AFTER you have procured another one!

That's what I do.
If I want to find something I've lost, I order a new one.
Works nearly every time.
The times it doesn't are when the new one comes and I immediately misplace that one too.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm

:bgb Sure fire solution!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:46 am

Whoohoo - This is Rosaboobie talking to you for the first time from the new PC! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Boobie
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:34 am

Congratulations.
Which game are you going to "christen" it with?

Return to “Technical Help”