Heartbleed Bug

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Heartbleed Bug

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:34 am

This was on our UK tv yesterday - Should we be concerned about this or is it just scare-mongering?

http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartble ... hxcXNwcSJ9
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Heartbleed Bug

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:18 am

No, it's not scare-mongering - this one is very real. It's not a virus or a bug, but a coding flaw in the security layer that provides encryption at websites. But keep in mind this coding flaw has been around for 2 years now. The way to deal with it is NOT to run out and change all your passwords. If a website hasn't addressed the issue, then you are just making THAT password vulnerable. There is a way to enter the url of a website to check it's status. If it's made the required changes, THEN change your password.

Heartbleed Test

At the very least you should change passwords to your banking and credit card institutions.

I'm not a big fan of Steven J. Vaugan-Nichols, but his blog today at ZDNet is very informative.

How to Protect Yourself in Heartbleed's Aftershocks
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am

According to my newspaper today, banks and financial institutions are not vulnerable to Heartbleed as they use a different type of encryption. Government sites, on the other hand, are vulnerable and the Canadian government has temporarily stopped online filing of income tax returns until they fix their site.

I'm concerned about PayPal, etc. Do they use SSL?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:09 am

Enter the PayPal url into that link to check and it should tell you. And from what I've been reading and hearing the last several days is that SOME banks and credit card institutions use a different encryption.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:38 pm

"All good, www.paypal.com seems fixed or unaffected!" Good news, I try to use PayPal as much as possible.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:07 pm

That is good news!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:16 pm

I must check out all my password sites also tomorrow.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:27 pm

Don't worry about places like MM or Gameboomers - they don't use encryption. Just check places that use secure checkout or your bank or credit cards.... essentially anything that used encryption.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Amazon is iffy, but the checking site can't say for sure if it's a problem or not. I don't understand their FAQs page completely, so I'm not sure what to do.
There's no such thing as too many books!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm waiting a bit on Amazon too... I would think they of all websites would get this changed ASAP.

Return to “Technical Help”