Windows 8

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Windows 8

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:08 pm

I know I am going to have more than one query on how to "deal" with Windows 8, which is why I started this new topic. Now today I was on the internet and every time I touched my mouse, the tab I was on disappeared (which I guess must be using Internet Explorer) - what am I doing wrong?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Windows 8

Postby Diat60 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:34 pm

You do get the damnedest problems, Rosa! I'm using Firefox myself and unfortunately (or fortunately) have never had this problem.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:41 pm

I have just downloaded Firefox, Diat, and am using that browser now, but the same thing is still happening to me - I am sure it is to do with the mouse - maybe I am inadvertently touching one of the buttons??
Boobie
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:42 pm

Just a shot in the dark: Your disappearing act could also be caused if you bring your Mouse (cursor) to the very bottom right of your computer screen, there is a small translucent rectangle there (very hard to see) and when you move your mouse over it, whatever you are looking at, disappears until you move your mouse again, this rectangle is the "Show Desktop Icon replacement...
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Thank you, Ray, I do have an awful lot to learn LOL! It does not help that I am still using the laptop side by side with the PC, so I think the laptop screen was obliterating the bottom part of the PC screen duh! I will get my desk sorted out tomorrow, and just use the PC from now on. :roll:
Boobie
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Ray, that translucent rectangle is no longer present in Windows 8. The very bottom right corner brings up the Charms bar.

Which browser is set as your "default" browser?

When you say you "touch" the mouse, do you mean you move it or you click on something? IF IE is your default browser, when using IE are you using it in the desktop or in the Modern/Metro UI Start screen? IE behaves differently in the Start screen. When using from the desktop side, it will look and behave just like it did in Windows 7.

When using Firefox (my default), no matter where I move the mouse, my tabs stay where they are and the window I'm in stays right where it is.

You should actually be using Windows 8.1... Once you have all your updates, you should make sure you get the Windows 8.1 Update. It gives us mouse and keyboard users even more goodies. It will be a required update to receive any future security updates. It's quite a large update, so wait until you get your new router hooked up and maybe let it download overnight.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 pm

sorry draclvr, should have mentioned that I am using Stardock 8 with my Windows 8 which gives me the option to switch between Windows 8 Desktop or Windows 7 Desktop, so when I am in the Win7 mode I get this Bar at the bottom, my bad for not being clear, and you are "Right as Usual" :wink: when in Win8 there is NO bar and sorry to you Rosaboobie for making things more confusing.. I think I will go sit in a corner and count to a thousand...
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:12 pm

No need, Ray! I was thinking you had Windows 8, so thought maybe you were using a different computer. How are you liking all the keyboard and mouse nods to us desktop users with the Windows 8.1 Upgrade?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:23 am

No, Ray, you don't have to sit in the naughty corner cos I need all the help I can get with this new PC/Windows 8 transition, and you were only trying to help me. You cannot confuse me because I am already confused LOL. I have so much on my plate just now that I can actually do without any more computer problems, which is why I am being a coward and still using the laptop but will bite the bullet today and set up the PC properly. It was only in a temporary position while I was hooking up all the cables, and now it has to find its permanent position either on my desk or on the floor. Lots to do today but the day has already started badly with a very bad nosebleed which has put me back with my chores! :roll:
Boobie
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:28 am

Were you trying to go "back" a page? I find Google searches give me a blank page when I go back and I have to hit the "refresh" button to bring it up again.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:47 am

Have you gotten your 8.1 Upgrade yet, Diat?
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:23 pm

Just finished downloading and installing a few minutes ago. So far haven't seen much difference. I knew my old Office 2001 wouldn't work so I've downloaded Kingsoft Free Office which gives everything we want.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:14 pm

You won't see much difference, but you will find that you can now pin apps to the desktop taskbar... I've having my Weather and Mail apps there. You can also now close an app by going to the upper right - there is now an X to close. Love that one too. Yes, anything 2003 and under is no longer supported.

If you sign up for an Outlook.com web-based email account, you will have access to the on-line versions of Word, Excel, Power Point etc.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:28 am

Sorry for long delay in replying - I am using Firefox as my default browser. Yes, when I "touch" the mouse it takes me back to my previous web page. As I have a lot of other problems to sort out, I have abandoned the Death Adder for the time being and I am using a "simple" mouse with no buttons on the side, and the problem is now solved for the time being. I will have to sort this out at a later date when I have more time. By the way, the PC was already on Windows 8.1. Do I need an extra AV or is it built into Windows 8?

Now when I boot up, I always get a screen asking for my Hotmail password - until I input the password, I don't seem to be able to do anything. Should this be happening?

Which programmes do you recommend I install onto this lovely clean PC? I have already installed, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, WOT, MalwareBytes, and CCleaner :cheers:
Boobie
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:33 am

Rosaboobie wrote:Do I need an extra AV or is it built into Windows 8?

It has one built in. Microsoft calls its antivirus "Defender" in Windows 8/8.1.
It's the same as Microsoft Security Essentials only it's built-in and called Defender.

Now when I boot up, I always get a screen asking for my Hotmail password - until I input the password, I don't seem to be able to do anything. Should this be happening?

I had that happen when I was trying to figure out how to get solitaire on the computer. I got the solitaire, but also got the prompt for the Microsoft Online password every time I wanted to log onto the computer. I decided the solitaire wasn't worth it, and found out how to switch back to a local account. I think this is the process I used:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4842-local-account-switch-windows-8-a.html

Return to “Technical Help”