Windows 8

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Windows 8

Postby Diat60 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:40 am

Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender which is the 8 version of MSE. I'm not running any other AV and haven't had a single problem crop up so far.
Win8 always needs your password to sign in. Your Hotmail password is your Microsoft password which is why it asks for Hotmail.
BTW, don't forget to make your Recovery drive, which you can find instructions for under "settings, control panel, recovery".
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:03 am

Diat, she won't need to make a recovery disc as she had the computer built for her and she has the real, live, actual Windows 8 operating system disk! One of my favorite things about building my own. I have the real thing.

You can just eliminate the need for a password. I use a Microsoft Account because it allows me to make purchases in the Store if I want to. That's VERY seldom, but I don't have to switch accounts then. There are tons of free games and other goodies in the Store. Follow the directions here to eliminate the prompt for a password.

How to Bypass the Windows 8 Password Screen

Like Middletoe and Diat say, Defender is built in and it works fairly well - especially when paired with Malwarebytes Pro. If you try to watch a youtube video, you will probably need to install the Adobe Flash Player.

Yes, you got Windows 8.1. But the Windows 8.1 Update was released last week - you should get it through your regular updates. It adds things for us desktop, keyboard and mouse users like the ability to pin an app to the desktop taskbar and to close an Modern app by hovering in the upper right to get the X to close. Before, we had to close a Modern app by grabbing it at the top of the screen and pulling it down.

You will probably need to install the Death Adder mouse drivers and use the console to make some adjustments to the speed and sensitivity.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for all your input, folks. So let me get this straight..... all of you on Windows 8 have to type in this Hotmail/MS password every time you boot up to be able to use the PC? The way I read it middletoe and Diat are having different opinions on this..... or am I once again just confused? :scratch:

Where do I check to find out if I already have the 8.1 updates - I thought I had elected for automatic updates.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Run Windows update to find out if you have all the updates. If you have updates set for automatic, you may already have all critical updates.

You can set Windows 8 to use either a Local account or a Microsoft Online account.
If you use the Microsoft store a lot, you might want the Microsoft Online account.
If you're never going to want to use the Microsoft store, and don't want to type in the online password every time you log in, just follow the procedure to switch back to a Local account.
--> link to instructions <--

Microsoft may have free games, but I can't be bothered to log into their online system every time I want to play a game. Smells like behavior tracking to me. With Windows 7 and earlier you never had to log in to play solitaire.

Here's a 44 second YouTube for one way to run Windows Update on Windows 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s2armtEgmc

Notice around 19 seconds in there is the "Switch to a Local Account" option visible.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Or if you DO want to be logged into a Microsoft account as I do, follow the link I posted to eliminate the need to enter a password.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 am

Thank you all - password eliminated :cheers:

And when I run Check for Updates, there is nothing there to install except Bing, which I don't want.

Any other software I should install?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:57 am

I can't think of anything, RB. Did you get the Adobe Flash Player? And which way did you go - use a local account or eliminate the need for a password?

To tell if you have the Windows 8.1 Update, go to the tiled Start screen and look at your name in the upper right corner. If you see a search icon and a power icon up there, then you have it. Now you don't have to go through the Charms bar to shut down, restart or put your computer to sleep. Something they should have done from the start. You can also now close a Modern app by going to the upper right and using the X. You no longer have to grab an app at the top and pull it down to close. You can also pin apps to the desktop taskbar. I pinned the Mail app and the Weather app.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:56 pm

I just eliminated the password, Drac.

You see, Windows 8 knew that I had just joined the Club, and so they made things easier for me :lol: Thank you so much for those tips. Although I don't have much time to "play" with this new PC at the moment, I am learning something new every day.
Boobie

Return to “Technical Help”