windows 7 compatibility mode

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

windows 7 compatibility mode

Postby mbday630 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

I just sent to myself from my old computer to this new one a bunch of my games - euchre, cribbage and golf - my old computer was 32 bit and this one is 64. when I tried to run the games it said that it wasn't compatible. looking on line it says that I should be able to right click on the exe file, go to properties and select the compatibility mode. I don't have that. How can I make it that I can use the compatibility mode button? Thanks.

edit: I found the compatibility mode but it still doesn't play and I set it for windows xp. any ideas? I sure miss my old games.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: windows 7 compatibility mode

Postby draclvr » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:21 pm

When you say you "sent" yourself some of your games, I'm not sure what you mean. Did you send your installation files? Any games you put on the new computer will have to actually be installed. Did you install the games first?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm

I went to the folder on my old computer where I had installed all the games from disks (I still have the floppy disks somewhere) and zipped it up and sent it to this computer. I extracted everything into a folder and when I click on the exe file it says it is not compatible. I tried changing the compatibility mode but they don't give an option for changing from 64 bit to 32 bit that I can see and I think that is the problem.

so, if I can't get these games to work,- I sure miss my euchre game. I went to 3 different sites tonight to look for a euchre game to download and they had so many add ons and crap that I didn't install them. I'm very worried now about the crap that comes with these downloads. do you know of a safe euchre download site? or - since i have the disks for all my beloved games, if I would install the games directly to this computer would they work? or since they are old - like from 1995 or something- they still wouldn't work?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:23 pm

It doesn't have anything to do with 32-bit vs 64-bit. That won't work at all on any computer - even XP. You must dig out your disks and install the games anew on your Windows 7 computer. Programs must create registry entries to work on a Windows computer and the only way to do that is to actually INSTALL the games as I said in my post above. You can't transfer programs of any kind from one computer to another.

Now, if these games were created in 16-bit code, they won't work in a 64-bit computer. But the only way to find out is to find the disks and see what happens when you actually try to install them.

You can find games like this, but be careful when downloading. Are you using WOT - Web of Trust? It's a browser add-on that I've been using for years. It will give you a code of a green, orange or red circle next to search results to indicate whether they are safe sites or not. But be sure to scan any download with your Malwarebytes and be sure to NOT accept any extra offers. But see if you can find your disks and give them a try.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 pm

okay - that will do some searching to find those old disks, but, i doubt if they will work. they are from like 1995 or something. but, it is worth a shot. I do have WOT downloaded and it is in use. It didn't show these sites to be bad, but, when I clicked on the download link and went to install the accept button, it had a lot of crap that I didn't want. so, I got out of them. I will let you know if I get any of them working. but, as I said, I doubt it. I think I tried them on hubby's windows 7 laptop and they didn't work.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 pm

A good place to get card games from is the Hoyle website. I didn't see that they had Euchre, but they have a lot of other card games that come in a package deal. I've gotten a couple of them from there and they are great.

Hoyle Card Games
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:23 pm

mbday630 wrote:okay - that will do some searching to find those old disks, but, i doubt if they will work. they are from like 1995 or something.

They might very well have 16-bit code in them if they're that old -- which would mean they'd be incompatible with 64-bit Windows unless you run them inside an emulator.

You might look for similar games on Amazon -- at least for the reviews.

I checked the site Draclvr linked to, and this collection does have Euchre
http://www.hoylegaming.com/p-72-hoyle-2 ... games.aspx

So does the 2012 card game collection
http://www.hoylegaming.com/p-52-hoyle-c ... -2012.aspx

Even this lists mostly-solitaire collection lists Euchre, though it lists it as a "solitaire" game and it might not be exactly like the original Euchre.
http://www.hoylegaming.com/p-79-hoyle-s ... -more.aspx
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Oh, good! Some of them do include Euchre. The Hoyle games are very good - before she had to go to the nursing home, my mom spent many, many hours playing pinochle on her computer.

Return to “Technical Help”