sending a game from my old computer to my new computer

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

sending a game from my old computer to my new computer

Postby mbday630 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:44 am

I have the game Hollywood Monsters on my old computer and I can't find a way to download it again - it was a free download when I put it on my old computer. So, is there a way to send it to my new computer? the file is too large to just send it by email.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: sending a game from my old computer to my new computer

Postby draclvr » Tue May 13, 2014 9:28 am

Nope, you can't do that! You cannot "send" a game from one computer to another. You must actually install a game on the new computer to create a registry entry. So if you don't have the original installation file or downloaded file, you cannot put it on the new computer.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 am

If you downloaded the game as an installer file (as opposed to something like a Steam download where the download and installation process is automated) and you still have that file you can try installing it on the new computer - in that case the simplest way would probably be to copy the file onto a USB stick and stick that in the new computer.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:50 pm

It wasn't a steam installer thing. at least no client sort of thing. I guess I will play with all the files and see if I can copy them and put them on this machine. there are so many different files though - there was an english patch for it and hopefully I can get them all.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue May 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Unless you have the INSTALLER, you cannot do this. But you can give it a shot... look for something called setup or an execution file. As I said you simply cannot copy programs to a new computer - you must install them anew.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:31 pm

I do have a monster.exe file. Whenever I click on it, nothing happens. I did do the right click, properties, compatibility and did several changes ... like windows 95 and windows 98, but, still nothing happens. Maybe it just won't work on this new computer. I'm pretty sure all the files got transferred.

edit: I had downloaded the game from the free site, but, I had trouble getting the English patch to work. then a guy from this board said that he had the game (like in a photo bucket place sort of thing) and I could download it from him. That is what I was basically wondering.... if I could transfer the files to a place (since it is too large to put on a cd rom disk) and then open up the place and install them on this computer.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue May 13, 2014 4:08 pm

No, monster.exe will be the game launcher. It will not install the game... Look for setup or an execution file that is for installing. There is no need to worry about the patch unless you have the installer for this game. If you don't have it, it's one of those things you will have to write off. The free games from Giveaway of the Day are an example of having to lose a game if you have to restore your OS or get a new computer.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Wed May 14, 2014 3:37 am

On the plus side, FX Interactive are still selling the game (in Spanish) for €2,95 (around $4) - I don't think I'd realised it was currently available at all!
http://juegos.fxinteractive.com/game.php?id=22&Hollywood-Monsters-espanol-aventuras

Return to “Technical Help”