OMG, what did I do?

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

OMG, what did I do?

Postby mbday630 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:02 pm

In trying to download a game that someone was sending me from a site called appredit? or something like that (can't remember) I guess I clicked on the wrong "download file" button and got a lot of crap on my computer - like search my dial - which I read is really a nasty program to get on. so, I deleted that folder, did a virus check etc and also deleted a bunch more things that were just downloaded that day. well, ever since I did that, I can't get on the internet. I have been using my old windows XP for the past week. I decided today that maybe I should re-install my windows 7 disk. Do you think that will help? or any other ideas? when I do a diagnostics check for why the computer can't get on the internet, it says that it can't find anything that isn't working, but, I sure can't connect -either with internet explorer or firefox.

edit: I did install windows 7 again and now I can get on the internet, so, everything is okay - I think. My screen doesn't look the same and I can't find some of my bookmarks, but, I think I can tweak that stuff.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: OMG, what did I do?

Postby draclvr » Fri May 23, 2014 9:42 pm

You didn't need to do any of that stuff! Please come here and give me a shout out. I just helped someone else get rid of My Search Dial and other associated nastiness. If you were downloading something from a site which you were not familiar with, this was almost a guarantee. This is the #1 way malware is getting downloaded now.

You cannot get rid of these things by deleting files. Do you have Malwarebytes installed? If not, get the free version or even better, get the Pro version which runs in real time. It will work quite nicely alongside your anti-virus program.

But, reinstalling Windows 7 will get you back up and running and now you will just have to get it back they way you want it. But next time, please give me a holler here and I will get you the information you need to clean things up without having to reinstall your OS. But the best thing to do is watch your download sites like a hawk. If you haven't read my post about the dangers of downloads, make sure you check it out. I have to run down to Longmeadow to do the closing and feed horses, but I'll get you some links when I get back.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks Drac.

I do have malwarebytes, but the free version. I did a scan right away. I just deleted the file folder and went to msconfig and made sure it didn't start up. let me know if there is something else I should do. I thought I was clicking on the right file - but - they always make it so hard to find the file that you want to download. they hide crap in there that makes you think you are downloading the thing you want and viola, you get LOTS of crap.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat May 24, 2014 4:40 pm

That's exactly what they do! *insert bad word here* Simply deleting files will not get rid of it - they must be uninstalled.

My Search Dial can also hide in your browser add-ons and in hidden files. This is the procedure I used to get rid of My Search Dial which is a browser hijacker.

MySearchDial Removal
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:35 pm

I will give that a try now. but, also, now every time i look at my mail it says "do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely" and that is getting annoying. how do I stop that?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat May 24, 2014 6:47 pm

You don't have to do any of that now because you reinstalled your OS. But keep the link just in case it happens again!

You may have a gazillion updates to download and install since you reinstalled the OS. Make absolutely sure you have SP1 and all the updates. You should also have IE 11 if all the updates are installed. I just did a netbook that didn't have any of the updates and it took me 2 days! You disk should say if it already includes SP1 - it probably does.

What do you use for email? An email client such as Windows Live Mail or a web-based email such as Gmail or Yahoo? Are you using IE? And if you are, which version of IE.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:20 am

My main mail is yahoo. every single time I just click on check mail it gives that security warning and I can't figure out how to stop it.

I did do all the updates - there were like 150 or so that installed after I put in the windows 7 disk, so, I think everything is up to date.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun May 25, 2014 9:35 am

OK. Check to find out which version of IE you have - it should be IE 11. If it still has IE 8, make sure you get it upgraded - IE 8 is no longer supported.

All you need to do is change your security level in IE.

1. Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security
2. Select the "Security" tab -> Click the "Custom Level" button
3. In the "Miscellaneous" section change “Display mixed content” to Enable.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Drac, you are a genius! such a quick fix, but, I never would have thought about checking the enable box for that to fix it.

thanks so much.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Yup, genius! That's me!

He, he! Not really - all I did was a Google search for the message you were getting!

Return to “Technical Help”