Monitor

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Monitor

Postby Stella » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:47 pm

What do you look for (specs) when buying a new flat screen monitor?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Monitor

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:29 pm

New flat screen monitors are so cheap right now compared to just a few years ago.

First, decide on a size. I have a 22" monitor, but recently got a couple of 24" monitors for new computers I've built for people.

Then go shopping at someplace like Newegg or Amazon. I prefer Newegg because they have a better way of sorting your search results. Pick your size, then your ms response - the shorter ms response, the better games will look, especially action games. Sort by price range and maybe even Top Sellers to get the ones rated the highest by other users. You can also add a sort by the kinds of adjustments you want - tilt, swivel, height etc. Then read some reviews and see what others are saying about the monitor. I generally throw out the 1 egg reviews as they are usually from idiots.

Things to be aware of are the maximum resolution your video card can support. If you go to your Control Panel, you should be able to find that out. Depending on which OS you are using, I can tell you if you're not sure.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Draclvr you covered that well! Questions that come to my mind are about connectivity (that may be simple nowadays) and widescreen or not.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Thank you, Kickaha! I did intend to cover connectivity, but forgot. If I'm remembering, Stella got a new computer so that shouldn't be an issue. If she doesn't have the old VGA video connection any more, then virtually all new monitors have the newer DVI ports and most are including HDMI and even Display Port.

If you get anything more than about 19", they are all widescreen with the 16:9 aspect ratio. Another thing is LED back lighting. Although almost all of the new ones have it.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:30 am

Thanks! At Newegg I found a 24'' screen with 1ms, with speakers attached, and all the tilt this way & that way trimmings. It's $279. Another nice monitor, 22" screen, 2ms, would be around $159. And yes, I did get a new computer from Drac's special store. :)
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 am

I will tell you that if good quality sound is important to you, the speakers that are in monitors - even the expensive ones - are dreadful.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Oh, I was interested in those speakers, but was trying to talk myself into spending the extra $100. I'll window shop some more. Thanks! :)

Return to “Technical Help”