any ideas on what to try?

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

any ideas on what to try?

Postby mbday630 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 am

On Friday, I could get on my old XP with no problems. My grandkids are over today and wanted to get on my old XP and it says that a cable is not connected. I replugged the cable into a different socket on my router, restarted, well.... did everything I could to try and get on the internet but it is not showing up. I'm just wondering if you have any other ideas on what I can do to get it on the internet. They like playing some games from a friv site or something. It is not my internet, as I am on the internet on this computer. Thanks.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Re: any ideas on what to try?

Postby middletoe » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Maybe the network card went bad -- or the cable.
If you have an extra "known good" cable lying around, you could try switching it out.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:57 pm

I went to control panel and I clicked on the internet card thingy and it said that the device was working properly. Can cables go bad? It worked fine on Friday and I didn't change anything..... well, now I changed things and put the cable into different ports on the router.... Just don't know what else to try.
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi,
When you say "replugged the cable into a different socket on my router, restarted, did you mean you restarted your Computer? or you Un-plugged your router/modem for at least 10 seconds and still no go?

If you did all the above and checked to make sure the cable on your computer was properly connected also, then call your Provider, they can check from their end to make sure you are getting a Feed in your home..

Good luck
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:32 pm

thanks Raythebear. I did restart my modem and router... let them sit for a good 5 minutes before plugging back in. Still nothing. I can't believe that a cable could go bad from Friday to Monday, but, that is about the only thing I can think of. I also did a system restore for a month back and it said that it didn't change anything and it still doesn't work.
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 pm

It is unusual that a Cable (physically will go bad) that term is often used when there is no connection to the Internet via a Cable connection, if it was Wireless it would say something like: A failed connection between your PC and Wireless Router.....

Did you call your Provider? Usually they can run tests from their end and do a reboot and/or send a Techie to check the outside wiring, etc..

When you did a Restore back to a month, did you do another Restore back to the Present? this is something I would do, saves from having to restart all the Updates again...
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:32 am

Cables can "go bad" if you have pets (or pests like mice) that chew on them or play with them.
The connectors can go bad instead of the wire -- especially if something tugs on them.

In my experience it's been the network card itself that went bad rather than the cable.
But if you have a spare cable it's easy to check if the cable could be the problem.

I have one computer that's a "network card eater." First the network card that was built into the motherboard went bad a few months after we built the computer. I bought a good quality gigabit network card (around $30), and that card lasted a couple of years before it also went bad. So we replaced it with a cheap $10 spare network card (only 100 megabit) that we had lying around -- and for some reason that's the card that has lasted.

If you have another computer that is able to get online without problems, I doubt the problem is with your ISP. But I don't know your setup.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:51 pm

If you are using an ethernet cable for your "good" computer, then try swapping it to the XP computer to see if it works. If it does, then you know it's a bad cable. If it still doesn't, then I suspect middletoe is correct and it's your network card.

However, is there REALLY a need to be connected to the internet? Since Microsoft no longer supports XP, it's a tad dicey to go on-line with an XP computer any more. I took mine of the internet about a year ago and very rarely go online... when I do, I get on, get what I need and get right back off.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:20 pm

the only reason I go online with that computer is when the grandkids are over and they like playing some friv games. otherwise, I never go on the internet. I am still playing with it and seeing if I can figure out something. my homepage is yahoo.com and it seems like that now got changed. ? it says something about avg search or something now, but, when I got to internet options, it still says that yahoo.com is my homepage. darn computers. thanks everyone. I will keep playing with it and see if I can figure out anything. but, the kids are gone for the day and hopefully won't be back for a while so I don't need it anymore. I had them playing Simon the Sorcerer 1 today and they seemed to enjoy that.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Are there any games they can play that don't require an internet connection?

You are saying you can get to your home page, so that would mean that you ARE connected to the internet?? Can you check your network settings to see if you are connected. Maybe they were just not able to get to where ever they were wanting to go? It does sound like you really ARE connected.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:11 pm

no, I can't go to my homepage. but I would think my homepage would be yahoo.com and it has this long name at the top.... something about avgsearch or something. I sure don't know why in 3 days it changed, but, my grandson was playing it last and maybe he clicked on something to change things. I have looked at the cable to see if it was worn, (not).... plugged and replugged it in, did the system restore,.... hoping to get back to my homepage thingy and maybe this avg was the problem... still nothing. but, they can use it still to play the games that are on the computer, so, it isn't like they are suffering (maybe I am) but, I do like to go online with it in case the I want to download something that is totally not windows 7 compatible.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Have you tried using the ethernet cable from your new computer as I suggested above? If there is a tiny wire broken in the old cable, you won't know it. Try another ethernet cable and that will help you narrow it down to cable or network card. And you still really need to check your network settings to see what it says there. The fact that you are getting the "a cable is not connected" error points to a problem with the network card, but you must eliminate the possibility of a bad ethernet cable.

AVG is a very good free antivirus program, but AVG Search is something that someone downloaded. It is often offered as part of a download and someone did not uncheck it before completing the download. It's not a bad thing, but very annoying as we call stuff like this "foistware." You can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

I would use the Windows 7 computer to download something and save it to a flash drive and then install the program on the XP computer from the flash drive. This friv website has a orange rating from WOT (Web of Trust) meaning to be careful there.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:19 am

things are getting more weird! This morning my new computer wouldn't go on the internet. I unplugged my modem and router again for 5 minutes, reconnected them and still couldn't get on. I used my hubby's laptop and I was able to get on and then voila! I could get on this computer too. so, could it be my modem? or router?

edit: I forgot to mention that this morning around 4:30 or so, my netflix stopped working. I turned off the tv and tried again to get into netflix but couldn't. I don't know if that helps determine what is going on or not but thought I would mention it.

another edit: My friend just said that she didn't have internet either this morning so it was time warner cable's fault. today I will try to change the cables to see if it is the cable. The cable looks good, but, I will check it. Gotta take my mom to the podiatrist today and i might not get around to it until later.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:58 am

This has to be your ISP. I still think you are having a different issue with your XP computer, but this morning is Time Warner.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:51 pm

I had an issue with connecting my XP machine to the internet. Worked fine months ago with a wireless connection. Time Warner since then had replaced my modem router and changed the security protocol. Well...could no longer get on wirelessly and TWC didn't advise going back to the old protocol. So I decided since it was a laptop, I would plug it in with an Ethernet cable. It didn't work. I plugged in my Windows 7 laptop with the Ethernet cable and that did work. So, I determined it was my XP network card. However, I decided simply to reinstall the driver from HP (via a download on my other computer and save to a flashdrive) and that solved the problem. I have no idea why the driver went bad...maybe from neglect with all the wifi connectivity...but that was the issue.

Return to “Technical Help”