any ideas on what to try?

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: any ideas on what to try?

Postby mbday630 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:39 pm

that is a thought. I figured that with windows stopping XP help that I wouldn't be able to download anything, but, it is worth a try. I did try plugging in the cable to this computer to the XP and it didn't help. something happened in those 3 days to make that computer not work and darn if I know. I am willing to try anything as of now. thanks.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:59 pm

You should be able to do anything you used to be able to do on XP including downloading things - although I would highly recommend that you do not ever download anything to an XP computer. It's been an inherently unsafe OS for some time, but now that Microsoft no longer patches security holes, it's a major security risk. If you don't have anything on the computer that is important to you, it's no big deal though.

So, you did plug in the ethernet cable that you KNOW works on your Windows 7 computer? If it didn't work, then you definitely have a problem with the network card. You need to decide if getting on line with this computer is important enough to spend money on a replacement. You can always see if there are driver updates for it and if there are, you could download them to your other computer and save to a flash drive and then install on the XP computer from the flash drive. If there are no updated drivers, then about the only thing left is to purchase and install a new internet card.

If you have a wireless modem, you could always get a wireless USB adapter and connect the XP computer wirelessly too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:00 am

My daughter has a wireless card or network thingy on hers and she said the other day that she never uses her desktop so when she brings it over, I will have Larry take that thing out and put it in the XP. I did use the cord for this good new one and tried it on the XP and still nothing. When I went to my computer, device drivers etc. and did a check on the card, it said that it was working properly. Thanks for helping. I guess the grandkids will just have to play one of the millions of disk games that I have here!
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:28 am

The poor things! That's a much wiser solution with an XP computer anyway. It's the perfect thing to have for them to play on and if it's not connected to the internet, they can play away and you don't have to worry.

If he does put this other card in the computer, remember he will need drivers for it. So it might not work if it came from a completely different computer. Most of the ethernet connections for these older branded computers are integrated into the motherboard. It would be odd if she has a stand-alone ethernet card, but if she does, then make sure she finds the driver CD if there is one.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:47 pm

well, it pays to hang onto old crap. Larry put an old ethernet card in this old XP and it is working now... in fact, that is what I am typing on. so, I guess it was my old card (whatever it is called) that got me on the internet. I have been messing around with my msconfig files because this takes so long to load up but sometimes then the internet doesn't work, so, I need to figure out what causes that. but, at least for the moment this old thing is working. good thing, as I was babysitting for a grandson today and he wanted to play on this computer....

Return to “Technical Help”