Dead Monitor!

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Dead Monitor!

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:52 am

When I tried to wake up my Asus VN247 monitor this morning, it was dead. What to do? Panic LOL? Maybe the cable has failed? Cos I dont see any lights coming on.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Dead Monitor!

Postby draclvr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:02 am

Oh, no! Is it on a surge protector? Does the wall outlet have power? Unplug and plug back in? DVI cable? I'd be panicking too! I believe this one has a good warranty, but I sure hope it's something simple.

I had a bunch of stuff suddenly not work one night and was in a similar panic. Then I saw Pita - the cat - walk out from behind the desk. When I checked, she had stepped on the toggle switch on one of the surge protectors and turned it off. Whew!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:57 pm

No surge protector, and yes, there is power at the wall socket. This is the cable it is connected with. Sorry its a bit blurry, taken on my phone. I have disconnected the cables and reconnected them again with no luck. By the way should I be using the HDMI1 or HDMI2 slot?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:45 pm

It shouldn't matter which one you use - that is for using 2 monitors on the same video card. At least I assume you're talking about HDMI1 and 2 on your video card?

The connection on the left is HDMI, but is the one on the right a power connection? Where does it go? Into the monitor?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:45 pm

The HDMI goes into the monitor, and the other end into the PC tower.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:53 pm

OK, now I'm utterly confused... The monitor has to go into your video card via HDMI in order for you to have a picture on your monitor, so you should have HDMI on the monitor with HDMI on the same cable to go into the video card. The one on the right with three slots looks like a power cable? Or am I missing something specific to your electrical connections or is this picture of two different cables, not one as you indicated?
This is the cable it is connected with.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:58 pm

This is one and the same cable.............. Now I am utterly confused because why has it worked ok for the past 6 months?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:02 pm

My brain is definitely on vacation here! Let me back up and ask the same stupid questions I have to ask myself to start out at the bottom of the list because I have a bad habit of jumping to the worst case first.

1. The computer is on?
2. The monitor is or is not getting power? Disconnect from the PC completely and simply plug the power cable in. Will it at least power on? Push the on/off switch a couple of times to be sure.

Let's start there and then you are going to have to walk me through this strange cable! So, these 2 questions first!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:01 am

No, not your brain on vacation Drac but mine has certainly gone AWOL over this. I hang my head in utter shame but then you know that I have been under an awful lot of stress just recently but that's no excuse really. What have I always always told people to do when an electrical appliance stops working? CHECK THE FUSE LOL! :bang :bang :bang :bang

She says this while showering kisses all over her 23 inch monitor, after spending 2 days on that awful 15" laptop LOL :D
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:40 am

I'm giggling because I know exactly where you're coming from! This is why I learned a long time ago working with computers - start at the bottom and work your way up. That's why the 2nd question I asked after asking if it was on a surge protector (that may have inadvertently been turn off) was, "Does the wall outlet have power?" I can only imagine how relieved you are to have your wonderful big monitor back. And to think those little 15" monitors were all you used for years!

But, NOW! You simply must help my poor confused mind figure out this very odd cable you showed me. You said the HDMI end plugged into your monitor and the one with the 3 slots plugged into your computer. Where exactly does it plug into the computer? At SOME point you must have a cable running from your monitor to your video card.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:55 am

draclvr wrote:But, NOW! You simply must help my poor confused mind figure out this very odd cable you showed me. You said the HDMI end plugged into your monitor and the one with the 3 slots plugged into your computer. Where exactly does it plug into the computer? At SOME point you must have a cable running from your monitor to your video card.

I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it might incriminate me...........................
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:19 am

NO! Aacckkk! :? Please don't leave me hanging! I simply cannot figure this out!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:50 am

Of course you can't figure this out cos, just like you suspected, this was in fact the ends of 2 cables - what a Dumbo I am eh? :drunken: :clown: :roll:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:43 pm

Whew! I thought I had lost my mind! Thank you for saving me from that opened bottle of wine in the kitchen!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Felt like deleting this whole post because of such stupidity but then thought it might give some of you a laugh :D
Boobie

Return to “Technical Help”