Dead Monitor!

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Dead Monitor!

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:32 pm

I will be sure to post one of my big doofus events too - the older I get, the more I have them!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:31 pm

I take it that the fuse in question was in the electrical plug that goes into the wall outlet? In that case, lots of us would have been confused because plugs in North America don't have fuses. I remember being caught out by this many times in my years in the UK. Also having to have different sizes for small and large appliances.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Electrical plugs have fuses? I had no idea!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Here's an example, you can see the fuse quite clearly. British electricity is a standard 240 volts, compared to our 110 and 220. I found this quote: "A fuse is a protective device that will open to prevent excessive current from damaging equipment, starting a fire or otherwise creating problems. The fuse could be in the plug or in the equipment. By putting it in the plug it protects from even short circuits of the power cord. Be thankful for the plug fuse as it may save your life. "
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Interesting... I knew about the 3 prongs from when I was in Germany, but the fuse is news to me! I assume it can be changed easily? It looks ever so tiny.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:11 am

Yes the fuse can be changed very very easily, you just open up a "flap" on the outside of the plug. Your plugs have no fuses??? And are your plugs all 2 pin?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:18 am

No fuses in our plugs, but our electrical system is quite different from yours. As Diat says, our standard is 110 or 220 volts. Most of our plugs have 2 pins or prongs, but some that need to be grounded have 3.

Return to “Technical Help”