What modem to buy

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

What modem to buy

Postby mbday630 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Time Warner Cable is charging me 5 dollars (almost 6) a month to rent their modem. They just raised my monthly bill again and they told me that I could save money if I bought my own modem. What kind to buy? Do I have to worry about the speed? I want something that can handle my netflix watching.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: What modem to buy

Postby draclvr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:01 pm

What I would do is ask Time Warner what specs you should have and if there is anything necessary to be compatible with their cable service. I found this by doing a search for modems compatible with Time Warner.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/enjoy ... odems.html
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks for that link. I wrote them down and when I go to my Walmart tomorrow I will look for one. Is it hard setting them up? I have always had them set them up for me. Will I have to change all my netflix accounts again and the laptop? We just bought a new router and I would hate to think of changing all the tv's, wi's smart tv's etc. again.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:17 pm

I sure hope not too! This link has some good instructions down at the bottom of the page with all the steps you will need to do. If you have any problems, hopefully Time Warner support can help you - that's who you should contact if you do.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/suppo ... modem.html
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:13 pm

I am ticked off. I bought a good modem... and it doesn't have the plug to put in my digital phone! so, I went online to find out what modem to buy to get to use my digital phone and it looks like then I would need two modems and that just seems like too much work for me. this is what I found:

Re: How do I connect my TWC Home Phone line to SB6141?
Options

‎10-03-2013 12:07 PM

There are no issues about the phone. Simply, you cannot buy your own internet modem/phone modem combination device that will work on TW's system. Very simple solution:

1. Buy your own modem (like the SB6141, which I own, and is a most excellent modem). It will only be good for your internet connection.

2. Get a modem (eMTA) from TW that you will only use for phone. They will not charge you a lease fee for this as long as you are using your own purchased modem for internet.

3. Use a splitter to split the coax, send one line to each modem.

Yes, you will have 2 modems. There is no way around it at this time.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Sheesh, Mbday! I would be ticked off, too.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Ridiculous! I have my Magic Jack plugged into the same router I use for everything.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 pm

mbday...I also have TWC. I'm still using their modem/router and wifi since I still have the intro deal. I was told by the install tech, that if you opt to purchase your own modem, you can still use the TWC one for your phone only. As long as you are using their phone service, they need to provide you with a hookup.

Return to “Technical Help”