VMWare Question

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

VMWare Question

Postby Diat60 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:09 pm

I've installed VMWare on my Windows 8 computer, successfully, and installed XP on that. Everything is working well as far as I can see. I did this purposely to be able to play Pandora's Box, an old but good Microsoft game. The game installs and plays perfectly with one problem. I can't get it to display in full screen, only in a window. I've changed the screen resolution to both low (800x600) and as high as I can go (1920x963). The game just stays the same, no matter what. I also tried changing the screen resolution in Win 8, no joy. I really need the game full screen to see what can be very small details of puzzles. Any ideas?

BTW, I know Windows 8 is supposed to come with its own virtual machine, but it's only available in Windows 8 Professional,.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: VMWare Question

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Did the game originally play in full screen? So many of those old games only played in a window. I know absolutely zip about VMWare though. If you are a member at Gameboomers, I would ask there. Both Jenny and Inland are really good with it. If you're not, I will be glad to ask there for you.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Yes, it did play in full screen. I'll ask on GB, I've been a member there for years. Thanks for the suggestion.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:55 am

Just to check: You have a Windows 8 machine. You have a VM on that which is running XP, and you're running the game on the XP VM?

Assuming that's correct:
Are you saying you can't get the game to run full-screen on the VM, or that you can't get the VM to run full-screen on your PC?
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:14 pm

On the VM, Phlebas. It won't run at all on Win8. Thanks to Jenny100's advice over on GB, I've managed to get a form of full screen by using the magnifier and the game is now playable. Good thing because this is definitely one of the best puzzle games I've ever played and quite unique. Here are some YouTube videos you might like to look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CxZEYh ... wbzQz1usmR

Return to “Technical Help”