monkey island 4 install

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

monkey island 4 install

Postby mbday630 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:40 am

I was in the mood for a monkey island game and I tried to install this on my windows 7. It wouldn't work on my 64 bit machine or something. I looked at some youtube videos that tried to show how to do it and it was Greek to me. I have scummvm installed and I tried to do it with that but it kept saying there were no games in that folder or something. Also, I did go to properties and changed it to windows xp mode but that didn't help either. Any suggestions on what I need to try? Thanks.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Re: monkey island 4 install

Postby Lucien21 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Basically you just need to download http://quickandeasysoftware.net/softwar ... land-setup then run that software and change the CD when prompted.

Easy peasy.
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:36 pm

not so easy for me. I clicked on the download site and unclicked the thing that said "have ask as your (whatever) and I still have the ask button on the top. I hate it when things get on my computer that I don't want. And I still can't get into monkey 4. pretty much all I see is convert to PDF. ?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Does this game have DRM? Some versions are not compatible with Windows 7 and some just need a driver update.

Do whatever you have to do to get rid of ASK - I hate those damned things too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:36 am

How can I tell if it has DRM? All I know that when I try to install it, it says that it is not compatible with my version of windows. The error reads unsuported 16-bit application...or something. I thought if I would click properties and change the compatibility mode that would help, but, all for naught.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:51 am

Ah, I see. If this Monkey Island is a 16-bit program, it will not run on 64-bit Windows 7, no matter what you do. It will only run on your old XP computer which is a 32-bit operating system.

There are some custom installers out there, but I don't know if there is one for this game.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 pm

thank you. Good thing I have my trusty old XP sitting across from me and I can get playing that. Plus, there were a few games that are on there that I was champing at the bit to play again, so I guess I will have to fire that one up.

so.... even with scummvm I can't get the monkey island 4 to work? I have other games that I play using scumm but for some reason I couldn't get this game to work. but, I assumed it was my stupidity.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Not at all! It's all about 16-bit games and 64-bit operating systems. If you had a 64-bit XP, it wouldn't work on it either.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:58 am

I guess I'm a bit late here, but thought it worth adding: ScummVM won't help you with Monkey Island 4.
ScummVM reads SCUMM data files directly rather than running the original game program, so even if a game was 16-bit you could still run it with ScummVM.
But Monkey Island 4 uses a different game engine (the 3D one from Grim Fandango) rather than SCUMM. So you'd need something that emulated that engine instead, if you were going that route.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:02 am

ah, so that is the problem. I was trying to play UFO's/GNAP today too using scummvm and I couldn't get that working either. I made a separate folder, put it in my program filesx86 place, put all the files from the disk in there and tried getting it to work with scumm but they said no game files were in there. Either I just don't know how to use scumm or some games just don't run with it. Thank goodness I have my old XP still running.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:19 am

Indeed, lots of games don't run with scummVM - mostly only ones written using the SCUMM game system (a system developed by Lucasarts for their games - it stands for 'Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion') will.
It's been extended to run various other games (old Sierra adventures, for instance) but because it works by reading the game's data files directly, it will only work if those data files are in a format it understands.
You can find a list here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Category:Supported_Games
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:20 am

ResidualVM was developed to run games like Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island that used the GrimE game engine (not SCUMM).
http://residualvm.org/compatibility/

They claim: "Game is finishable with a few minor glitches."

You can download ResidualVM from http://residualvm.org/downloads/

Installation of the game is similar to ScummVM -- you copy the game's files from the CD's to your hard drive before starting ResidualVM and adding the game.
https://github.com/residualvm/residualv ... /README.md
3.1.2. Escape from Monkey Island

You will need to copy the data files from your Escape from Monkey Island CDs into one directory. Specifically, you'll need:

All of the .M4B files from both CDs Note: The file voiceAll.m4b is repeated on both CDs. Use the copy from the first CD, it contains all of the required voice data
The Textures directory, combined from both CDs. When copying, rename the FullMonkeyMap.imt files to FullMonkeyMap1.imt and FullMonkeyMap2.imt from CDs 1 and 2 respectively.
The Movies directory from each CD
A copy of the Escape from Monkey Monkey Island update EXE You will need a patch specific to the EMI version you're using:
"EFMI Installer" if you have the Mac version of EMI.

And to add the game
3.2. Running the game

Prepare the game directory as specified above
Open ResidualVM
Choose "Add Game"
Select the folder you created in Step 1
Click Start

Since Residual uses OpenGL, your video drivers need to be compatible with OpenGL.
I think most are these days.

Return to “Technical Help”